Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld test D1.1
- - By dajones62 Date 07-17-2014 15:15 Edited 07-17-2014 15:52
When testing a welder  who should adjust the parameters (amps_volts-wire speed) on the power source, the welder or the examiner? Is there a written procedure for weld testing defining this.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-17-2014 15:40
Hello dajones62, providing that the welder has been supplied with the appropriate WPS, he/she should use those parameters to set the machine. When I am testing I provide some scrap for the welder to get the machine "dialed in" using the parameters as the boundaries. Others may have additional info to add. My $.02 for the conversation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-17-2014 16:03
I've seen both ways... and both are reasonable depending on what you want.

Sometimes the testing authority will set the machine exactly where he/she wants it and tells the operator to leave it alone...  This is perfectly fine as long as the parameters are within the written WPS ranges.

Sometimes a machine is stripped down to parade rest, the dials are set to zero and the welder is handed a written WPS and told to set up the machine and perform the welding. <This place better offer more money>

I think as long as the instructions are clear, in writing, and given consistently to every candidate, that it really does not matter.

If the power supply is very complicated as some new equipment is these days, this needs to be taken into consideration when planning how your welders are to be tested...

If your equipment is simple and the candidate does not know how to adjust current/WFS or voltage, you need to consider how much effort you want to make as an employer to invest in bringing this person up to speed.

In the end.. In most cases the welder on the production floor will have control of the welding parameters (if they are not locked) and if they can't operate within range during a performance qualification test, you will have problems.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-17-2014 16:06
Nicely put Lawrence, and much more encompassing than my response. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-17-2014 16:17
The code doesn't specify who should set the parameters.  The intent is for welders, welding operators, and inspectors to have access to the WPS, but the code doesn't specify who should set the parameters.  I would think that it's a no brainer that the welder must fully understand the WPS parameters and set them accordingly.

If the examiner sets the parameters for a welder, and the welder passes, is that examiner going to follow the welder to each job and set the parameters for him/her? I mean, how good is a welder if he/she can't follow the WPS and set the parameters according to it's ranges?

At my current structural job, the supervisor sets the parameters and they're locked.  I personally don't agree with it, but as far as I know, the code allows it.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-17-2014 17:09
Hello SCOTTN, I did some work to MIL standards a whole lot of years ago and when we tested we were handed the gun with the coupon in place, the machine set, and told to weld it. Weirdest test that I ever took. I did pass it, however, I wasn't at all comfortable with the machine settings.

Of course when it came time to do the work we were allowed to set the machines, within parameters, to our liking. Somewhat of an oxy-moron considering all of the hoopla while doing the testing. I probably was looking over my shoulder to see if the machine police were lurking to ensure that I hadn't strayed from allowed settings. Understand your take as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-17-2014 17:43
I would think that's part of the reason for WPS ranges, because, typically, no two welders have the same preferences.  Here, the supervisor sets the parameters and locks them.  The supervisor sets the parameters on the high side, which is giving some of the tackers and some of the welders problems with undercut.  The only one who typically has no undercut on his tacks and final welds is the supervisor who sets the parameters for everyone else.  Although I don't agree with anyone setting the parameters other than the welder, I'm ok with it as long as the tack welds and final welds meet acceptance criteria.  I have never seen as much undercut on tacks and final welds as I have seen since I've been here.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-17-2014 18:58
Hello again Scott, with apologies to the OP for this side conversation(although I believe that everyone benefits from the discussion), I would imagine that your situation is an internal issue where the supervisor, for whatever reason, has decided that he/she needs to monitor/control welding by going that route. Personally I don't see a huge benefit for that level of control, as I believe that as you stated, by giving the folks who are welding a little bit of wiggle room the end results of the welding and the frustration levels would improve immensely if some diplomacy were employed in this instance. Yet if argued, the supervisor might likely have ammunition for staying with his/her course, with regard, to code, etc. Good luck and best regards, Allan
- By dajones62 Date 07-18-2014 00:26
Thanks for all of your input it has been very helpfull.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 07-19-2014 14:50
The code sets the minimum requirements. The contractor that must ensure the minimum requirements are met. How the contractor meets those minimum requirements is left to the contractor.

This goes back to the old argument of whether the welder should be allowed to use a grinder while taking the performance test. The answer is "It depends."

There are production situations were the welder is required to make one type of weld on one type of component. The skill set is very limited. In that case, the contractor may find it best to have the test assemblies preassembled and placed in the test position. The welding machine may be preset to the appropriate parameters and the welder simply welds the prescribed joint.

In other situations the welder is expected to have an expanded skill set. The welder will have to assemble the test assembly, tack on the backing bar, select the appropriate welding machine, select the appropriate shielding gas (if shielding gas is needed), set the welding parameters, and weld the joint. Again, depending on the applicable code and contractor's procedures, the welder may or may not be permitted to use power tools during the test.

As Lawrence mentions, the welder should be following a WPS, however, there are situations where that isn't the case nor is it necessarily required by the applicable welding standard. In many cases, the welder may not know how to read. The production requirements make the ability to read a nonissue.

I have worked with welders that have been welding the same part for more than twenty years. The weld consisted of a single pass fillet weld with a length of less than two inches. Hundreds of parts per shift without variation. Mind numbing work, but it was a steady paycheck. The parts were precleaned and fixture when they arrived at the welding station. The welder didn't need a print, didn't need a WPS, and the welder didn't to read or write.

In other cases the welder was expected to work from a drawing, drew the raw materials from stock, cut and shaped the components, assembled and welded the assembly. A high degree of skill is required and the performance test was commensurate with the contractors expectations of the welder. The contractor used the performance test as a gage to measure the welder's skills and proficiency.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld test D1.1