Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspector title/salary
- - By steelman7018 (*) Date 07-27-2014 05:15
Trying to find salary data for QC Inspector with CWI. Most of the salary averages are very low for "QC Inspector" (described as a parts inspector). Any ideas on a more accurate job title to research? I also looked at "Industrial Inspector". Looking for something related to site/vendor inspections, welding inspection, vendor surveillance, audit, specification review...etc. I know most everyone's job entails many different duties so it is hard to get a true average but I am looking for a average range or a better keyword to search for. I have looked at the PQNDT surveys. Thanks.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-27-2014 09:16
Go to indeed.com and plug in CWI and Welding Inspector. See what comes up. Then try RigZone.
As a CWI, I have made between $12/hr to $100 per bend strap/stamp/signature, to over $1000.00 a day.
As a welder, I have made between $4.00/hr to $100.00 in 17 seconds.
Both are true stories spanning a 40 year career in molten metal manipulation, and a CWI for quite a time.
Today, I would take something some where in between... Got any leads??? I'm unemployed...
OK, seriously...
Salaries and jobs are one of the great mysteries in this world. I know CWIs that slut themselves for really cheap because they will not/refuse to follow my philosophy of how to make money in this business (they want a 9-5 normal job and they make that financial sacrifice). Here it is... you want to make the big bucks? Here it is... There are 2 types of folks in this line of work. Those who travel and those who are broke.
I have literally known a Phd. in Physics with a 4.0 gpa. working as a bouncer in a bar because the jobs available in his sphere of expertise did not meet up to his expectations of both professional and personal ideals.
Happy researching.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-31-2014 03:00
Here is a link to the PQNDT 2013 NDT salary report.  Scroll down to the dedicated CWI page.  You can sign-up to get a questionnaire via e-mail, and you automatically will get the results.  The Numbers shown of $40/hr for an CWI employee is about right for my area and industries, but the contractor rate of $50 is about 1/2 the market price for CWI work. 

http://www.pqndt.com/NDT-Salary-Survey/PQNDT-2012-Salary-Survey.pdf
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2014 12:45
There are wide variations in salary for both the welder and the CWI. It depends on the supply and demand of the local region and the capabilities of the individual and the demands of the job.

A welder that has the ability to layout work, work from drawings, use multiple welding processes, posses multiple qualifications/certifications, and capable of welding to meet various code requirements demands a high wage than a young sprout that just completed a 10 week course in basic skills. Of course, the compensation will not be forthcoming if there is not a position that utilizes he individual's skill and capabilities.

The same considerations are true for the CWI. Newly minted CWI have much to learn and it takes time and exposure to different projects to gain the knowledge and skills required to acquire competence and build the reputation needed to demand the salary they believe they deserve. Even if the CWI has the requisite skills and experience, there may not be a demand in that location or at that particular time.

As already mentioned by a previous post, the salary is whatever the market will bear. The CWI can accept what employment opportunities are available locally or he can go on the road where the demand and the salary is more to their liking.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 07-30-2014 17:33
Recently I've notice that the demand for CWI's has increased and the laws of supply and demand are slowly coming into play.  I know of a situation where the CWI had a hourly number in mind and the Client offered him 50% more than he was thinking.  So, I guess the moral of this story is, don't sell yourself short.  Ask for the world, if they say no, negotiate to a price that everyone can live with.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-30-2014 20:32
You might also try a search for a "special inspector" and a "third party" inspector salary.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspector title/salary