Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1/2010 typos
- - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-11-2014 20:22
Most of you guys have probably been aware of this for some time now, but I have recently noticed a couple of typos in Clause 6.1.4.1 "Basis for Qualification". It refers to "basis" as "bases" twice in the first paragraph. Just thought you should know...
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2014 03:16
Send your observations to the Secretary for D1.1 so they can note the corrections. The 2015 edition is just around the corner.

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-12-2014 15:35
Weldinfool,

It’s kind of ironic that you’d catch these spelling errors because you left off the “g” in your name.  Spelling is not brian surgery.   80% of the people don't even realise that they make spelling mistakes.  I new this from a long time ago, and I try to help where I can.  Just the other day I saw an immigrant standing on the sidewalk holding a sign that said, “I'm looking for Werk.” I slammed on the brakes, got out of my car, and went over to help him out and correct his spelling but apparently that's how you spell his brother's name.  I got back in the car and texted my wife about what happened.  Her reply was “Who cares about spelling? “You really need to chill out.”  So I texted back “There, their, they're”.  “There's know need to be like that.”  Women.  As they say, can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em.  If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure that the same woman who came up with the spelling of “February”, also had something to do with “Wednesday.” Come to think of it, a single spelling mistake caused the divorce from my first wife.  I’d gone out of town for a weekend with the guys, and at some point I sent her a text message…. “Having the most amazing and wonderful time, wish you were her.”
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2014 16:03
An other star for Scott.

Let's eat grandma!  Or is it; Let's eat, Grandma!

I guess it depends.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-12-2014 16:08
I'm afraid we have all been guilty of misspelling, using the wrong word even if it is spelled correctly (four, for, fore; there, their, they're; etc), wrong, misplaced, or missing punctuation, and so much more.

But there is a certain acceptance when one has attempted proper writing versus those who seem to not care in the least to try to use our feeble form of communication to accurately portray their message to others. 

Scott, you have really been on a roll. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-12-2014 16:33 Edited 08-12-2014 16:40
Good one Al.  I hate, misplaced commas.  For example, chicken pot pie sounds more appealing if you add some commas.

Edit: Thanks Brent.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2014 19:43
:lol:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2014 19:50
I've always depended on the kindness of copy editors :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-13-2014 01:29
Aint that the Trooth!

i personally get a rise out of Miss Spelling... She really knows how to get me goin... My favorite word to miss speel is "Phuket!" I really miss that broad err, I mean that town in Tie land... But the word i really enjoy correcting because it's like long standing joke amongst friends when I poynt out to Brent the proper use of the word rather or is it whether? I give up!

Thiz speelin thingie is starting to cunfuze mi go phigyour!

Respektfoolly,
henrie
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-13-2014 16:15
It's the schools.  Blame it on the schools.  85% of kids in school these days are not proficient at spelling.  The other 25% suck at math.  I remember when I was in school and someone asked the teacher how to spell something, she’d always say, “Look it up.” How in the hell can we look it up if we can't spell it.  If we could spell it, we wouldn't have to look it up.  I remember looking in the dictionary to find out how to spell the word “incorrect”.  They spelled it the same as me but as I continued reading, they said it was wrong.  The other day my daughter asked me how to spell Budweiser.  That’s kind of an odd question for a kid to be asking, so I asked her why she needed to know.  She said it’s because she’s drawing a picture of me for school.  “Cool”, I said.  “In that case, it’s spelled “G-A-T-O-R-A-D-E.” Speaking of Budweiser, “Lite” is a good way to spell way to spell “light” because it has 20% fewer letters.  My wife always hates it when I spell and punctuate incorrectly, so I punched her and put her into a comma.  A word of caution to those of you who are into text messaging.  If you’re ever away from home and want your wife to know that you’re thinking about her, and you text something like “My shirt smells like you”, just make sure to remember that the word “shirt” has an r in it.   If any of you have ever spelled a word so poorly that you made a completely different word altogether, then you know what I’m talking about.  It's rather humidifying, isn’t it?
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-12-2014 18:00
:smile::smile:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1/2010 typos