Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / learning
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-17-2014 02:26
Well I have been trying to get into a new line of work involving all downhill,  After tons of coupons cut and beveled by hand, lots of rod and sweat, serveral busted tests and thousands of dollars spent testing....thinking I just cannot weld worth a crap or anymore.    I tried a friends SAE300 and had a light bulb moment running a 5mm 8010.  Basically cake and easy and no problem and did not even want to change heat really till the very bottom.   I have been trying to drive finish nails with a sledgehammer basically, meaning the old beasty hobart.   Talk about a tough lesson to get figured out, glad I did, still a blessing.....but boy was I mad.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 08-17-2014 03:34
When ever I think I am losing it a new pair of spectacles tunes me right up.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-18-2014 16:37
When I was younger, I wore glasses.  There was nothing wrong with my eyes.  It just stopped the other kids from punching me in the face.  Now I wear glasses out of necessity.  I first realized that I might have a vision problem when I grabbed a tube of Anusol and used it as toothpaste.  I knew something was up as I brushed my teeth and wondered what had happened to the minty taste.  Later on that day, I found myself complaining that something was wrong with the tv remote.  It wasn’t working, even after I shook it several times as I pointed it at the tv.  I became increasingly frustrated with it, and at one point, I started lightly banging it on the arm rest, hoping that might help.  I remembered that sometimes when the kids need batteries, they’ll take the batteries out of the remote.  I’d just finished putting two new ones into the remote when my wife walked in and told me that if I didn’t take them out, it might kill our pet hamster.  I thought it was a little strange when I put two the two AA batteries in the remote and it wiggled.  For a minute there, I thought I’d grabbed my wife’s vibrator by mistake.  Needless to say, I was somewhat relieved to find out it was just the kid’s hamster.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-22-2014 04:34 Edited 08-22-2014 04:40
Scott   please don't feel the need to grab your ass when I say I love you!

Blaster....nope your missing my point...I dove in a new field and figured I suck and after XXXX$ taking tests+practice I realized it was IMPOSSIBLE with my equipment...since this has been physically verified by two 20+ year downhill hands....sorry but I figure they are right.  On top of that I practice with their equipment and its cake for me.  POST SCRIPT  Just took a dwnhand job for major railroad using thier equipment and test was CAKE....guess what ole lincoln 300d.

BTW there are several members who protested, screamed, arm twisted ETC> ...telling me I had to change machines (i thought for appearance sake so I balked) but in the end of it all they were 100% right ...I was dumb and I suffered for it.  Crack the whip now ...get the striping over with...I know what I gotta do.  Yall are my friends and I am on the right path.   HOWEVER I can beat your ass on lohy, tig and I can arc gouge all day and my machine will still burn a rod......hahhahahahhahaha!!!!    no seriously for you guys....im changing equipment asap.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 06:51
Are you admitting error or defeat? 

Congrats on figuring out the problem and heading the right direction.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-25-2014 04:38 Edited 08-25-2014 04:41
Error definitely Brent!!!!!!!!!!!!  But more stupidity and hard headedness on my part I think.....

I have been beating my self to death for the last year thinking im to old to dumb not skilled enough ...you name it.   Woodshedding and practicing.....To make a long story short I welded with equipment made for that purpose and "SAW THE LIGHT"   this whole process I have been beating myself to death over is actually cake...Standing on my head both eyes closed kind of welding for me just like every thing else...just have to change machinery to do that part of it,,,,,,,,,,
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / learning