Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Gauge clarification
- - By supermoto (***) Date 08-17-2014 20:47
A couple of questions were sent to GAL Gage and there hasn't been any response yet.  My questions are:

1. Bridge Cam has a theoretical and actual side to check throat.  What is the difference?  I know to find the theoretical throat using the skewed fillet weld gage you take leg size and multiply by 0.707.  I don't understand how they could be different or at least since they are different why so far off.  Also to verify what side is what, I'm told that if you are using the "Actual" side you will be able to read "Actual Throat" as it will be facing out as opposed to the "Theoretical Throat" will be facing down and covered up.  By having the actual side facing out than you look at the opposing side/back side of the GAL version gauge to see what dimension you are trying to set it to(which also has a slight bevel on the back side).

2. Automatic Weld Size Weld Gauge is also in question as there are two parts that need clarification here:  There is a "Max Concavity" and a "Max Convexity".  They are considerable different which makes perfect sense since they are considerable different criteria.  I was told this was once called the AWS weld size gauge, if so is that correct?  I doubt that all welding codes have the same tolerances and I'm pretty sure that all AWS codes don't have the same tolerances.  Can someone please clarify a situation of this gauge and its accuracy?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-17-2014 22:05
Let's see if I can do this without a book in front of me and keep it all straight:

TEA: Theoretical, Effective, Actual.  Fillet welds have different descriptions that define various aspects of the engineering involved.
Theoretical is the amount the engineer can calculate for strength and is the smallest of the three and extends from the root of the joint to the hypotenuse of the triangle.
The effective is from the weld root to the hypotenuse. 
The actual is from the weld root to the face of the convex fillet weld. 

Each progressively larger and obviously stronger provided you have no lack of penetration at the root so the weld goes beyond the joint. 

On a concave fillet weld the Effective and Actual are equal as the face's concave surface makes them equal from weld root to weld face. 

Now, for the rest of your first question, as inspectors we measure fillet weld leg size.  For regular T joints and skewed joints.  It is up to the engineer and/or detailer to calculate and give us the leg size compared to the throat size they want for strength required.  But, if you are looking at the throat then the theoretical is what the engineer has called for and is smaller than the effective or actual weld face because of convexity that protrudes beyond the hypotenuse, about an 1/8".  Then, since the other is also considering an estimate of weld root penetration, they will add another 1/16-1/8" for root penetration for a total anywhere from 1/8-1/4".  The gauge is designed to 'ESTIMATE' the dimension.  It will not be accurate. 

Second question, first, many people call it an AWS gauge.  Look at your own first description/name for the gauge and then give it initials.  'A'utomatic 'W'eld 'S'ize Gauge.  So don't make too much of the designation.  It doesn't have anything to do with the 'AWS' or any of it's codes.  It is a play on initials as identifying terms. 

Now, maximum convexity must be removed.  Maximum concavity must be added to.  There is NO comparison between the two.  Each weld has it's own criteria.  It is either concave with proper measurements or more.  Or convex with proper measurements or more.  Maximum Convexity is too much reinforcement which results in stress risers and other potential problems.  Maximum Concavity is to small of a weld that means the throat won't be adequate for the weld size required. 

Hope my descriptions clarified that for you.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-17-2014 23:14
I understand what TEA is and what the differences are, I mean I passed my CWI.  If I passed my CWI I should be an expert on anything welding related right?  LOL.

I guess I didn't make my question clear.  Basically I want to know the differences between the T and A sides of a bridge cam and if using the bridge cam to measure throat what side am I using?  What your telling me is that there is no code related throat size requirement unless an engineer/detailer gives it to me.  By that being said I can have a weld size requirement of 1" and have 1" leg sizes and actual throat dimension of 1/4".  I would have to say that is an underrun weld and would not meet most, if any applicable codes.  If I have to estimate or rely on variable that I cannot control or determine without a shadow of a doubt than I cannot use those gauges to accept or reject. 

I don't see how the Actual throat dimension is only to the face of the convex fillet weld.  Why couldn't it be for a concave fillet weld?

If you set a bridge cam down and trace the dimensions of the boundaries of the gauge and actual throat and compare to the same size fillet gauge you will see they are the same.  I choose to set the bridge cam on actual and accept or reject as such.

As inspectors we are required to measure leg size and throat, not just leg sizes.

Normally I would use a typical fillet gauge as a go-nogo but a lot of times oversized welds or inaccessibility make that impossible and have to use another type of gauge.  If I can't use a fillet gauge than I need to know an accurate way to measure welds to make the appropriate call without just guessing.

Ahhhh, AWS gauge, that totally blew me away when you basically said its an acronym for the gauge name.  I didn't even see that, so obvious. :-)

Your description of the "AWS" gauge doesn't make sense.  How can you remove Maximum convexity?  There is a comparison between the two, or at least a relationship as I'm trying to determine the definition of the the two for this gauge.  It seems as if you pick a size and then you pick either concavity or convexity and determine what is acceptable, but by doing that the gauge must know what code or application to accept or reject.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2014 00:15
Moto/Noah,

While your id gives me your name, you don't have anything there that indicates you are a CWI and I wasn't going to assume that.  I felt my lead in answer was the direction needed from what I had available for info at the time.  Sorry, didn't mean any belittling with the defining of terms.

Second, I am with Al.  I don't use a Bridge Cam hardly ever though it is in the pouch I carry at all times.  Along with fillet gauges, skewed plate weld gauge, temp sticks, V-Wac, etc.  The Fillet Weld Gauges are used for over 95% of fillet weld measuring for me.

Now, No, I did not even slightly indicate that you could have 1" legs and a 1/4" throat.  Any CWI knows that the weld size on the welding symbol indicates leg length.  Then, you must first determine if it is a convex or concave fillet weld.  Then you use the correct side of the fillet weld gauge to determine if the weld is acceptable or undersize.  The legs will naturally be longer for a concave fillet weld but the throat must hit the center portion of the gauge with all calculations taken care of by others.  NO WHERE WILL YOU SEE A REQUIREMENT THAT WE AS INSPECTORS MUST MEASURE BOTH LEG AND THROAT SIZE!!  Chapter and verse if you think so.  The shop and erection drawings seldom contain throat size.  Only leg dimension.  Even on skewed joints the engineered design drawings will have throat dimension but the detailer will convert to leg size for the two sides of the plate and we only measure the leg with the skewed weld gauge from the measurements supplied on the shop and erection drawings.  The only way to measure the throat on most skewed joints would be by destructive testing.  That is why they go through all the paperwork on welding procedures, qualifying welders, and the code factors that lead THEM to the leg measurement that we use to confirm the welder put in enough weld.  Same as Al points out with the gauges you are asking about on any fillet throat, they must be at a perfect 90° to work even remotely accurately. 

Part of my explanation was not complete, the Actual throat dimension is for both Effective and Actual on a concave fillet.  I didn't say it was only for convex fillets but I didn't complete my sentence and say it applied to both.  That is not the case for convex, the two are different then. 

Personally, I have never seen a weld I could get to with my Bridge Cam that I couldn't get at with my Fillet Gauges.  Not sure how that is of benefit for an inaccessible location.  In fact, most of the time it is the opposite.  The fillet gauges are smaller in both directions than the Bridge Cam.  And, have you seen the mini set that GAL Gauge makes? 

I should have said that you had to remove Excessive Convexity that goes beyond Maximum Convexity.  The Table gives you dimensions for maximum convexity on various sized fillet welds.  And there are several ways to remove the excessive convexity.  It does not give you any reference in text or table for maximum concavity.  Not sure why the gauge even has that. 

I feel like you are over thinking the job.  The gauge can in no way know the code and it is not meant to.  The AWS gauge is not a gauge I use or recommend using even for welders to ESTIMATE their weld size.  Neither is the Bridge Cam when it comes to fillet welds.  It can be done but not as accurately as with fillet weld gauges and too hard to train most people to use properly when trying to measure the leg of fillet welds let alone the throat.  And fillet weld gauges are cheaper besides being easier to train welders for usage. 

Oh well, just my two tin pennies worth. 

Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 08-20-2014 22:42
Most likely those guages are sized to verify the theoritical throat and the max convixity per AWS D1.1. Compare them on an actual weld or sketch a full scale drawing of a fillet weld and apply the D1.1 criteria and you will see if that is the case. Most likely it is.

Ramon
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-20-2014 23:13
I don't think these gauges are designed for specific welding codes.
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 08-21-2014 05:24
If your AWS guage is from GAL then it is designed for D1.1. Lay it out on a piece of paper, draw a fillet weld with the theoretical throat and the max convexity allowed according to D1.1. Place the guage on the paper and measure with the weld size that was drawn. It will match exaxtly and I bet the bridge cam will too.

These two guages are made for the most common welds being produced to the most common code (D1.1).

Ramon
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-18-2014 12:34
The Bridge-Cam is like many multi-purpose tools. It does several things, but none of them very well.

I stopped using the Bridge-Cam years ago. It, as well as the "AWS" gage, only measures properly if the intersection between the members is exactly 90 degrees. That is a rare situation to encounter in most shops.

It seems to me the throat measured with a Bridge Cam is actually the throat for an equivalent leg dimension. If you draw an isosceles right triangle and compare the throat and leg measurements using the Bridge-Cam, the throat measured is actually the equivalent throat for a specific leg dimension. If I stumble upon my Bridge-Cam, I'll double check my last comment. I could be wrong. It was several (20?) years ago that I made the comparison. 

The AWS gage is the same as the old Palmgren gage, the grand daddy of weld gages. I remember seeing it referenced in one of the old MIL-STD welding documents. Again, the short coming, like the Bridge Cam, is that it only measures the fillet weld with a degree of precision  if the members intersect exactly at 90 degrees and the surfaces are large enough to have proper contact.

The standard leaf type fillet gages are an improvement over either the Bridge-Cam and the AWS gage for gaging fillet welds.

One must use the proper tool for the job. One would not expect a mechanic to attempt to rebuild an engine with only an adjustable wrench in hand. Likewise, I would not expect to see an experienced inspector attempt to check weld sizes armed with only a Bridge-Cam. Then again, if one is working to the Farm Code, the Bridge Cam is probably sufficient.

After all is said and done, what level of precision is required when measuring a weld? Is it necessary to measure a fillet weld to the nearest 0.001 inch, to the nearest 0.01 inch, or to the nearest 0.1 inch? I guess that determines the type of gage to use during an inspection.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-19-2014 01:35
Ok so there are a couple of areas of concern here:

1. Please don't think since I said I am a CWI that I am arrogant or think I know it all as I am very humble and always willing to learn, especially since there are very knowledgeable individuals on here.  I appreciate you taking the time to define the difference in TEA as you never know who you are talking to.  I wanted to try and convey some comedy and sarcasm instead of taking my response in a negative way.

2. After reading Al and your (brent) response I have a concern that I will never have a throat size requirement unless called out on a drawing or in a specification.  I'm concerned since this is an assumption, if you will, that a standard fillet weld size on a drawing will have to meet leg and throat sizes of a fillet gauge.  I have been taught this and this is a standard "assumption" of everywhere and by anyone who has measured standard fillet welds, not including skewed joints or any other fillet weld that is not a standard 90 deg/right angle geometry.  Are you saying I should never accept a weld unless the weld symbol, drawings, or specs call out specific throat sizes?  I am not disputing the fact in which there can be a throat dimension call out, I just have never heard of it unless it is a skewed joint, a T, K, Y connection or other situation that is typically determined by calculations of various angles and Z-loss and all that fancy stuff which we cannot measure anyways.

I used the extreme 1" leg size and 1/4" concave throat as an extreme to express the fact that if there are no requirements how can I accept or reject an underrun weld?  I have seen concave finish weld symbols as they are rare but still do not call out a dimension, is this where the AWS gauge comes into play?

If for example you have a 3/8" required fillet weld per D1.1 and there are no specific throat size requirements and a 5/16" leaf fillet gauge touches the throat for 5% of the total weld length and 100% of the weld has a leg size of 3/8", is this acceptable or rejectable as it meets the 10% requirement?

3. I guess it is unanimous that other than a typical "leaf" style fillet gauge is about the best bet for measuring fillet welds and shouldn't use any adjustable type including a bridge cam or AWS gauge.

4. There have been many situations where a leaf style gauge is not possible to use and a bridge cam or other style gauge is required.  I have seen many times where one of the larger gauges accuracy are affected due to warpage or some type of interference making them ineffective.

5. I still don't see someone explaining the differences on T and A on the bridge cam.  Why are they so different?  If I set a 1/2" throat on actual it is the same throat dimension as a leaf 1/2" fillet gauge but the theoretical is quite larger.  Please explain the difference.  This cannot measure the penetration of the weld to the root.

6. I personally don't like to use anything other than a V-WAC or a leaf fillet gauge, but a lot of times I cannot measure a weld since the unequal legs are so freaking large due to a retarded welder putting way too much time and effort into something due to lack of skill.

Maybe we need to back up and someone can give me very specific situations or videos or links to how to interpret the use of all the different gauges.  I have reviewed many videos, PDFs, manufacturers detailed descriptions and I am going to go back through some other references.  So far nothing describes what you both are saying or maybe I am missing something.  I wonder why after 8 years of various industries, CWI's, SCWI's, Level IIIs, engineers, prep courses no one has ever mentioned this.  I am not saying the information is incorrect as I have been lied to many times and never investigated myself and I have been burned because of it, I am reluctant to just agree but I challenge others to give me proof or references.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-19-2014 14:05
“If for example you have a 3/8" required fillet weld per D1.1 and there are no specific throat size requirements and a 5/16" leaf fillet gauge touches the throat for 5% of the total weld length and 100% of the weld has a leg size of 3/8", is this acceptable or rejectable as it meets the 10% requirement?”

Although the above comments are said to be an example, here are my thoughts.  When a 3/8” fillet weld is required per D1.1 and there is no specific dim for the throat, (which, in my experience, I don’t recall ever seeing on a structural drawing for a fillet weld), and both leg sizes measure 3/8” but the throat is undersized, I wouldn’t check the throat of a 3/8" fillet weld with the 5/16” leaf to determine its acceptability, because the throat for a 5/16” fillet and the throat for a 3/8” fillet are not the same... at least they're not the same on their respective leaf  As Al once said, the throat is the weakest link because it represents the shortest path through the cross section.  That being said, I use the 3/8” fillet leaf to determine if the throat for a 3/8” fillet weld is acceptable.  If both legs are acceptable and the undersized portion of the throat exceeds 10% of the length of the 3/8” fillet weld, I reject it. To me, the visual acceptance criteria for the size of a fillet weld includes both legs and the throat.  Table 6.1 doesn’t specifically address the throat.  It addresses the size of a fillet weld, which includes the throat because the throat is a part of the weld as well as part of each leaf of a set of fillet weld gages.  Al also once said that the gauge does not directly measure or size the throat. Instead, it sizes the throat for the equivalent leg size for an isosceles right triangle.  That’s what I have been using to determine acceptability of the throat as it applies to a particular fillet weld size, unless a specific throat dimension is shown in the weld symbol, which is something I’ve not seen.  I think that ASME specifies the required throat of a fillet weld, but AWS A2.4 indicates that the fillet leg sizes are specified, not the throat.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 08-20-2014 01:16 Edited 08-20-2014 02:21
SCOTTN,

The example I was trying to convey is the fact that you can have a 3/8" fillet weld under run by 1/16" to be at 5/16" actual throat while being sized with a leaf type or any other tool proves that the leg size and throat is to be acceptable.  If the leg size was 3/8" and the throat was to be sized at 1/4" it would be determined unacceptable regardless of length of weld.

I looked in my AWS A2.4 2007 edition and found nothing where it indicates fillet leg sizes and not throat.  Maybe I have an outdated version.  7.2.1 Under size of fillet welds just states, "the fillet weld shall be specified to the left of the weld symbol."  This doesn't specify specific leg or throat dimensions.  This is where I and every other person I've met determines and assumption as the actual throat and leg sizes are the same unless noted otherwise for finishing/contouring the weld face.  I can see in figure 32 which doesn't show throat dimensions, but shows "cross section" which I have interpreted to include throat but no dimension is specified to include the 0.707" calculation for hypotenuse. 

7.6 Contours and Finishing of Fillet Welds
7.6.1 Contours Obtained by Welding. Fillet welds
that are to be welded with approximately flat, convex, or
concave faces without postweld finishing shall be specified
by adding the flat, convex, or concave contour symbol
to the welding symbol (see 5.12.1).
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2014 23:52 Edited 08-19-2014 23:57
Inspection Trends had an article on the use of the fillet weld gage a couple of issues back.

You can go to the AWS home page and tap the menu for Inspection Trends. On the left side of the Inspection Trends homepage is a menu listing the past issues. You can find the article in the archives.

This link will take you to the article. http://www.aws.org/itrends/2011/01/InspectionTrends_201101/index.html#/12/

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-20-2014 02:05 Edited 08-20-2014 02:09
Al,

I checked out the link and I remember now reading that article.  I will be using that as a reference when training new inspectors if necessary. 

My concerns with this link in respect to the throat dilemma is it agrees with me which the throat is measured the same as leg size.  I understand that this is just to show how to size a weld and doesn't reference each weld has acceptance criteria but he still doesn't say inspectors are only required to size legs and not throat.  If you would like to check some of the figures and paragraphs I have some references you look at even though this is just something that shows how to measure fillet welds with leaf style gauges:

He sees to use a 1/2" fillet weld as a reference a few times which has a theoretical throat dimension of 0.354" as I'm sure you are aware.

He states this when describing leaf fillet weld gauges: "that saves the inspector time needed to calculate the required throat dimension for each leg dimension"

Figure 7 states "fillet weld gauge sizing a concave fillet weld that has insufficient throat to meet the size requirements of fillet weld with 1/2" legs"

Figure 4 "1/2" gauge used to verify throat is properly sized for 1/2" fillet weld"

Pg. 15 "As shown in fig. 4, the right end of the gauge is used to size the throat of fillet welds"

So you can see my concern as I am being fed information and I am reading information that seem to have some discrepancies.  I understand that you can have required fillet weld dimensions which may be unequal legs or throat but so far my assumption is correct and saying the leg size determines the actual throat is the "assumed" dimension  unless otherwise noted.  No one has provided me with reputable specific standard that says inspectors are not required to size throats of fillet welds.  Like I said before that I was trying to prove a point by what Al and Brent are saying is that you can easily have a 1" fillet weld with a sized 1/4" throat and be acceptable. 

I find it very hard to believe you have been hired to inspect some fillet welds on a job and told an engineer/detailer/PM or whomever that you were NOT able to do a proper weld inspection since the drawings or specifications didn't give throat dimensions or finish contour dimensions?  I would assume that you have accepted fillet welds without throat dimensions, am I wrong?

I'm not a ASME inspector and maybe that is a standard requirement.  Every job I have been on/at that has AWS specifications has never required specific throat dimensions.

I am still waiting on how the T and A sides are so different on a bridge cam.  GAL Gauge hasn't replied yet.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2014 02:14
The convention in the US is that the fillet size specified by the welding symbol is the leg dimension of the largest inscribe isosceles right triangle. The definition is the key. The convention is that the welding symbol specifies the leg dimension of the inscribe isosceles right triangle.

The convention in the US is different from that used in Europe. The ISO welding symbols can specify either the root dimension of the leg dimension, but the welding symbol must specify which dimension is being specified. Maybe it was your question that was posted in "Engineering Tips" the other night. I responded to a question that was very similar to this one. The ISO welding symbol indicates whether it is a leg dimension or a throat dimension by using a prefix letter, either z or a, before the weld dimension.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-20-2014 02:26
Understood. I don't have much experience with ISO symbols other than figuring out the hard way arrow/other side are opposite of US standards.

Can you answer my question about the differences between T and A sides of the bridge cam?

Did you see my other question asking if you have ever accepted or rejected welds without throat dimensions?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2014 02:42
Give me a sketch of what you mean.
Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-21-2014 00:03
I could give you some sort of sketch, but I don't see how that would help.  The questions are from the original topic and which has also turned into the following:

1.  Please look at a bridge cam gauge and tell me why the theoretical throat sizes a weld throat 1/16" larger/more convex than the actual and tell me what side to set/read the throat from.

2. Please look at the AWS gauge and tell me what the difference between the max convexity and max concavity and where this is applicable.

3. Now for the question that has came up....The fact that inspectors are not required to size weld throats unless specified or detailed on drawings.  I have dug a little bit and the only other thing I've come up with is yes, there are throat requirements when detailed and accompanied by a weld contour symbol.  I am still sticking with the fact that it is an assumption to size the throat of a fillet weld unless someone can show me otherwise. 

Like I said before I can't hardly believe most people on here can say they showed up for a job that didn't have detailed dimensions on a fillet weld and accepted extremely concave welds....again my example of accepting a 1" fillet with a 1/4" throat that didn't have any detail about throat dimensions.  I doubt you would have accepted that or said "I accept that fillet weld even though there are extremely low/concave throats"

I don't mean to sound inconsiderate in any way as I just like to live in the black and white world as much as possible even though most of it is "grey" areas that we live in.  Maybe it is just my lack of experience, but nothing I have seen is referenced to show what is being explained.

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-21-2014 11:59
I think you should volunteer to make us all a PowerPoint  :)

Not even kidding!
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-21-2014 13:57 Edited 08-21-2014 14:17
Interesting....I can't tell if you are mocking me. I wouldn't think I'm the only person that has these questions.

I would love to write a power point, but what would it be about?  Would it be about the lack of industry training, standard definitions, standards that don't talk about throat sizing requirements, the fact that gauge manufacturers don't have detailed instructions about designs.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-21-2014 14:53
Not Mocking :)

Just all the discussion about the different measuring tools and uses...

Selecting the *best* one for a particular application.

Things like that.

So yes, your PowerPoint could address all the things you listed; that others including the manufacturers have not considered or ignored.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2014 15:41
Why all the concern regarding the throat dimension?

ASME calculations use the throat dimension when calculating the strength of the weld, but the welding symbol should list the leg dimension of the fillet weld. Going back to basics, the weld size is defined as being the largest inscribed isosceles right triangle. An understanding of the definition and the terms included in AWS A3.0 should be sufficient for anyone to properly gage the actual size of the fillet weld.

The Europeans have the option of specifying the throat or the leg dimension as indicated by the prefix letter in front of the size listed by the welding symbol. They use the same terminology for describing the leg and throat dimensions.

The standard fillet gages measure the weld if the operator/inspector understand which end of the gage to use to measure convex and flush welds or concave welds. It isn't that complicated.

There are gages available that are "trimmed" so they can be used in skewed T-joints. They tend to be smaller and a little difficult to hold on to.

As far as the AWS gage and the Cambridge style gages, I am forced to ask, "Why in hell are you using them to measure fillet welds?" There are better gages for that purpose. Use the right tool for the job you are doing. There have been several articles written in Inspection Trends on the subject. Why discuss the how's and why's of rebuilding an engine with an adjustable wrench?  The adjustable wrench fits many different bolt sizes, but you'll eventually skin your knuckles and round the head of the bolt or nut. Using either the Cambridge style or "AWS" style gage is akin to using the adjustable wrench.

"How many angles can dance on the head of a pin" Why cares?

"How does the Cambridge gage or "AWS" gage work when measuring fillet weld?" Who gives a damn. The better option is use the right gage.

Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-22-2014 02:50
The concern with throat dimensions were not the original concern but the use of how to size them with various gauges.  Now a new concern with sizing weld throat has been brought to my attention.

I'm not familiar with ASME, so if there are calculations I'm not to concerned with that but I am concerned with the fact a welding symbol doesn't state a specific throat dimension so I will size it the same as the leg.

AWS 3.0 has some great figures and are very good to show examples of fillet welds, but AWS 3.0 doesn't show you how to size them with specific gauges and what is the proper way.  AWS 3.0 also doesn't state weld size includes the leg and throat but does clearly the differences on the definitions of each part of fillet welds.

You are correct in the fact that as long as you know what end to use it is quite obvious how to size with standard fillet gauges. 

You're asking me why I am using "the right tool for the job"?  Why would you use a "trimmed" gauge for a skewed T-Joint?  Why wouldn't you use a proper tool, such as a skewed filled gauge?  Why would someone use a modified gauge?  In the nuclear world I would be in a lot of trouble for altering a calibrated gauge when I could use a proper tool for the job.

AWS gauge doesn't mean it is used strictly on American Welding Society standards such as D1.1.  The instructions and this link also shows that it is recommended for sizing fillet welds:

http://www.galgage.com/AutomaticWeldSize.pdf

Like I said twice now, I would rather use a standard leaf type fillet gauge but there are man times I cannot use them.  I assume that since we are on a AWS forum that you have had experience with inspecting oversized welds and how 90% of the time there are no restrictions on making a weld that is oversized.  I would quote the requirement of oversized welds but I don't want to misrepresent the code.  When the weld symbol doesn't have a throat dimension, which is very common in structural welding applications, you will be assuming you are required to size the throat.  Example of when I can't use a standard leaf fillet gauge:

1. Weld symbol says 1/2"
2. An oversized weld was deposited and was considerably concave.
3. The actual weld legs are 1"
4. I cannot use a standard leaf 1/2" fillet gauge due to the fact that the legs are oversized to 1" and in order to perform a proper weld inspection I should use another option to size the throat now that I know the leg sizes are met.
5. I choose to use either a AWS or bridge cam to size the throat.
6. By choosing a bridge cam with what I can assume is the correct side to size with the "actual throat" I come up with 1/4" to 3/8" in various locations along a 24" weld. 
7. By this I find that the throat is under run and is rejectable due the fact here are no specific throat size requirements but do not meet the weld size of 1/2" according to the weld symbol.
8. By what some of you are saying that this is acceptable due the fact there are no specific throat size or contour requirements.

I'm throughly disappointed in what I'm reading, maybe because I'm held to higher standard in the nuclear industry, which has so much oversight and auditing including, the NRC, customer source inspectors, and our own internal people.  I've been stuck in the structural world for the majority of my inspection career since 2006 and I guess things are different in other industries.  I realize that other industries have different standards and practices and maybe those are the facts as I'm just trying to learn and be the best I can with proper references and standards to back me up instead of making guesses based on what people have told me in the past.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2014 03:50
Some how there is a failure to communicate.

If the weld size is given by the welding symbol, and one uses the definition of the size of the fillet weld, it is an easy calculation to find the minimum throat dimension.

Multiply the specified leg dimension by 0.707 to get the actual throat dimension.

Check you particular gage (AWS or Cambridge style) to see if the throat reading is the equivalent leg or the actual throat. Measure the fillet weld and compare it to the required leg based on the specified leg dimension. It isn't rocket science and it doesn't take a PhD to figure out.

As for the "AWS" gage, Brent did a good job of explaining what the letters AWS stand for.

You make a valid point that the standard leaf type fillet gage can't measure the weld you are trying to gage in this case. Either I didn't read it in your original post or that bit of information was omitted. It's back toe Paul Harvey Radio Show.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 03:36
ANGELS  Al, unless you have figured out how to make my angle finder dance.  :lol:

Couldn't resist such an opportunity.

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2014 03:51
It's the big finger syndrome.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 06:48
AAhh, yes, the big fingers on the way too small screen.  With failing eyesight and trombone arm syndrome not to mention the auto correct function that gets us into more trouble than it fixes our lives are just way too complicated considering how much easier all this technology is supposed to be making it for us. 

You have a great day Al.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-22-2014 09:11
Well then, why don't you guys install and run Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking, or Google Talk on your computers?
Doing so will then give you the feeling that somehow we're finally catching up in technology with the fictional TV series and Movies of "Star Trek" Really?
You guys are still using a keyboard?:roll::fat::twisted::smile::grin::lol::yell::lol::wink: Hmmmm... :surprised::eek::roll::confused::grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::wink:
Time to upgrade fella's.:surprised::eek::surprised::roll::smile::grin::lol::yell::razz::lol::twisted::wink::cool:
Btw, Currently speaking, Naturally Speaking is on sale for under "half a sawbuck" ($50.00 USD)!:grin::lol::yell::lol::twisted:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-22-2014 09:52
You guys are crazy. :lol:
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-22-2014 15:58
I wish I had half the knowledge,
these men have
best in world
lucky to have their insight
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 13:18
??KEYBOARD??  Does not compute.  Al, what is he talking about? 

All this work with a chisel and hammer is really making my hand sore trying to write out all these messages for one simple little question my dinosaur buddy dropped by.  Good thing I live beside a rock quarry. 

Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2014 17:17
Cavemen with your hammers and chisels. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Embrace modern technology as I have with a stylus and clay tablets.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 19:52
Clay Tablet??  Is he some relation to Manual Labour?? 

Seems like I've heard the name somewhere before but I usually don't go around hugging people I don't know.

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-23-2014 00:00
I use to know those 2 characters a while back in my glory days.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Gauge clarification