Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.8 "Protected Zone"
- - By Travis Collins (**) Date 08-20-2014 18:08
I recently read and article in the July issue of Inspection Trends, "Understanding Protected Zones" by Brent E. Boling. I was always under the impression that no welds were allowed in the protected zone, but this article corrected my assumption. My question now is, how do I know what exactly is allowed to be welded in the protected Zone? Shear tabs? Stiffeners? Intermident filet welds on bent plate? Can someone shed so light on this for me?

Thanks in advance
                                                                                                      Travis
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-20-2014 20:45
Well Brent ?

:)
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 08-20-2014 21:23
I'm waiting to take notes.
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 08-20-2014 22:52
Al is absolutly right, always ask the engineer if the work is done contrary to the code and or approved design drawings.
Ramon
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2014 00:01
(Nice pass Lawrence, thanks alot :lol: )

Al is correct as usual.

The problem Travis is in the multitude of possibilities when it comes to the application of Protected Zones.  You will have noticed in the article the references from AISC SDM. 

But the number one reason we may be appearing to skirt an answer is that it is well above our pay grade and our CWI stamp is no where near as authoritative as the engineer's is.  The codes call it out as the engineer's responsibility to designate what the applicable code is for pieces in the Seismic Design area, the SLRS.  Some will fall under one specification and others will not. 

The bottom line is, if the Detailer has included attachments on the shop drawings such as a mud/bent plate and used intermittent fillet welds to put it on and then when submitted for approval prior to work proceeding the engineer has approved the piece as submitted then you are good to go.  If in doubt, check it out.  That's what the RFI process is for.

For the record, I am not a guru (pronounced licensed engineer) on Protected Zones.  My point was how often items are misunderstood and how we as inspectors need to research things that apply to our job and don't go by rumors, old wives tales (I hear Scott's wife has a tail??  :lol: ) , idle gossip, and other preconceived ideas.  Always check out YOUR applicable job specifications, applicable codes, and approved drawings. 

Look at the figures in D1.8, there are definitely stiffeners within some protected zones.  The other items I will withhold comment and let your job specs speak to the acceptance or rejection of such work. 

In your question you asked, "how do I know what exactly is allowed to be...".   You, we, can't know exactly.  That's the engineer's decision.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 08-21-2014 16:30
Brent:

Thanks for your response. I enjoyed the article and it helped a great deal in understanding the purpose of the protected zone. The reason I needed some clearification is a job we did not that long ago where the beams were prepped for CJP welds and on the top flange bent plate ran past the end of the beam. The drawing showed a 1' 4" protected zone from the end of the beam, and was noted "No field or shop weld in the protected zone". Im no brain surgeon, but Im pretty sure this is getting welded in the field. So now I was stuck with the question that since we know its getting field welded in the protected zone, should the plate also be shop welded in the protected zone? Just slightly confusing.

Thanks for your help and great article
                                                                                              Travis
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 03:06
Okay, if I am visualizing this correctly:  How can Moment connections, top flange CJP's, be done with a mud/bent plate going over the end on top of the beam?  So I would guess the addition of that plate, at least a small portion of it, will indeed be fabricated in the field. 

As to your question, if it is on the plans, erection drawings, to be welded then it is to be welded.  Look at D1.8, Figure C-1.2 for verification.  Stiffeners and other attachments on the WF beam within the protected zone.  In these applications it will be critical to maintain all proper preheat, welding parameters, edges without notches, etc. 

But, it appears from your wording that welding is restricted in the protected zone.  The question is, What welding?  All, or just any not designated, such as the moment connection and the stiffener plates which will obviously BE welded in the protected zone? 

And remember, D1.1 is a minimum code, D1.8 enhances it somewhat but is still a minimum code (just slightly higher quality than D1.1).  It doesn't hurt to go beyond for preheat, smoothness of edges, weld transitions, etc. 

Thus supporting the original position, when in doubt, leave it out.  Pass the buck to the engineer.  If the shop goes ahead and welds it despite warnings to the contrary, just put it in your report and make sure the fabricator, field, and engineer get it asap. 

Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-27-2018 01:31
Old post, but I can tell you this isn't allowed!:eek::eek::eek:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-03-2018 14:18
Good Day Carl,

What pray tell kind of a mess up do you have there?  I am having a problem discerning what I am looking at other than a mess.

Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-03-2018 16:49
Those are deep hammer marks in a protected zone. I was fortunate enough to go see Duane Miller and sit for his Seismic seminar this week, and he could only shake his head and say wow. The erector even complained to my company that I'm the only inspector that ever brought up protected zone violations. I can't understand why I get so many complaints for doing my job :). I'm fortunate that my boss sits on the D.1 committee and backs me up.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-03-2018 17:08
I took that class with Duane back last June.  It/He was quite good.  All the background information, personal involvement perspective, changes in steels, filler electrodes, processes, design, etc made so much sense as he went through it. 

Do you mind if I lift your pic and add to my library?

Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-03-2018 17:10
not at all, I can send you the original that is larger.
I just need your email.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-03-2018 17:11
inspector@arctechwelding.com

Thanks, much appreciated.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-03-2018 17:30
Sent. Duane is a great guy, and speaker. I knew most of what he taught, but I'd take a day in class paid over a day in the field always. :)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-03-2018 20:31
btw, that is an 8" pipe, so you can imagine how big the marks are.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2014 21:59 Edited 08-20-2014 22:03
When in doubt, ask the Engineer.

The Engineer has the responsibility of providing clarification when it comes to applications of the applicable construction code, in this case AWS D1.8. Even when an interpretation is required, the Engineer is the individual with the authority to make binding calls until an official interpretation is made rendered by the AWS committee.

The CWI should not be working in a vacuum. When in doubt, ask the question.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-21-2014 07:01 Edited 08-22-2014 08:48
From: AWS D1.8/D1.8M:2009 Structural Welding Code - Seismic Supplement

1.2 Responsibilities
1.2.1 Engineers Responsibilities

In addition to the items listed in AWS D1.1/D1.1M, the engineer shall provide the following information in the contract Documents:
(1) Connection Configuration, Material Specifications, and part sizes required to provide the needed seismic performance (See 1.3).
(2) Identification of member that comprise the Seismic Force Resisting System (SFRS) and that are subject to the provisions of this code (See 3.1).
(3) The location of the Protected Zone for members of the SFRS (See 3.3).
(4) Welds designated as Demand Critical and subject to specific provisions of this code (See 3.2)
And continues to describe requirements for various location situations from (5) thru (9).
(10) Lowest Anticipated Service Temperature (LAST) of the steel structure for structures not normally enclosed and maintained at a temperature of 50F(10C) or higher
(See 3.5 & 6.3.6).
(11) Butt joints subject to tension where tapered transitions are required
(See 4.2).
(12) Those joints or groups of joints in which a specific assembly order, welding sequence, welding technique or other special precautions are required (See AWS D1.1/D1.1M subclauses 2.23 and 5.21).
(13) Quality Assurance Plan for the Project (see 3.4 & 7.1).
(14) Any Additional provisions applicable to the specific project NOT governed by AWS D1.1/D1.1M or this code.

3. Terms and Definitions
3.1 Seismic Force Resisting System (SFRS):

The assembly of structural elements in the building that resist seismic loads, as indicated by the Engineer in the Contract Documents. Included in the SFRS are columns, beams, girders and braces, and the connections between these elements specifically designed to resist seismic loads, either alone or in combination with other loads. The SFRS does NOT include other structural member Not designed to resist seismic loads. Straining is anticipated to occur and to which special limitations in these provisions apply with regard to attachments and fabrication.
3.2 Demand Critical Welds
Welds designated by the Engineer in the Contract Documents, and required to meet the specific requirements of this code
3.3 Protected Zone:
That portion of a member of the SFRS, designated by the Engineer in Contract Documents in which inelastic straining is anticipated to occur and to which special limitations in these provisions apply with regard to attachments and fabrication.
3.4 Quality Assurance Plan (QAP)
The written descriptions of qualifications, procedures, quality inspections, resources and records to be used to provide assurance that the structure complies with the Engineers quality requirements, specifications, jurisdictional requirements, and Contract Documents.

6. Fabrication
6.6 Tack Welds to steel backing in the Protected Zone.

Tack welds between backing and beam flange outside the weld joint shall be prohibited. Tack welds that attach steel backing to groove welds in the Protected Zone shall be placed within the weld joint, when practicable with the following exception: Steel backing may be tack welded to columns for beam to column welds.

6.11 Weld Tabs
6.11.2 Tack Welds attaching Weld Tabs.
tack welds attaching weld tabs in the Protected Zone shall be made within the joint, and shall meet the requirements of 6.16. Then there's 6.12, 6.13, 6.14.

6.15 Protected Zone
6.15.1 Attachments and Welds.
Welded attachments, including stud welds and fasteners for the connection of other materials, shall be prohibited within the Protected Zone.
arc spot welds (Puddle Welds) for the attachment of metal decking shall be permitted in the Protected Zone.
6.15.2 Erection Aids. If erection aids  are required to be attached within the Protected Zone, the Contractor shall obtain the Engineers approval for use of such attachments.
6.15.3 Removal of welds in the Protected Zone.
6.15.4  Repair of Gouges and Notches. Gouges and Notches in the Protected Zone shall be repaired as follows:
6.15.4.1 Grinding When gouges and notches are repaired by grinding, the ground area shall provide a gradual taper  to the surface of the base metal. In the direction parallel to the member axis, taper shall Not be greater than 1:5. In the direction transverse to the member axis, the taper shall NOT be greater than 1:2.5.
6.15.4.2 Repair Welding of Gouges and Notches. When repairs require welding, the notch or the gouge shall be removed to provide a smooth radius of not less than 1/4 in[6mm] in preparation of welding.Welding shall be done in accordance(to) an applicable WPS. Preheat shall be in accordance to AWS D1.1/D1.1M, but shall not be less than 150F[65C]. Electrodes shall comply with 6.3. Following welding, the repair weld shall be ground to a smooth contour with a surface roughness not to exceed 500uin[13um].
AWS C4.1. Criteria for Describing Oxygen Cut Surfaces, and Oxygen Cutting Roughness Gauge, Sample 4, may be used as a guide for evaluating surface roughness of these surfaces. After repair, the area shall be inspected using Magnetic Particle Testing (MT). The resultant thickness of the repaired area shall be no less than the base metal thickness less 1/16 in.[1.5mm].

6.16 Tack Welding Requirements
6.16.2 Placement of Tack Welds. In the Protected Zone, unless specifically required or permitted by the Engineer, and shown on detail drawings, tack welds shall be prohibited outside the weld joint. 6.16.3 is pretty much self explanatory with any gouges or notches to repaired according to 5.15.4.

7 Inspection
7.1 Inspection Task Assignment.
When required by the Applicable Building Code or Contract Documents, the Engineer shall prepare a Quality Assurance Plan (QAP). The Quality Assurance Plan shall identify the specific Quality Control and Quality Assurance tasks to be performed on the project respectively by the Contractor and the Quality Assurance (QA( Agency. The Contractor and the Quality Assurance Agency shall perform those tasks as identified in the Quality Assurance Plan.
Then we jump ahead to 7.6 & 7.7.
7.6 Beam Copes and Weld Access Holes
When required by the QAP, beam copes and weld access holes shall be inspected for cracks on the cut surface prior to welding.
Inspection shall be performed using Magnetic Particle Testing (MT) or Dye Penetrant Testing (PT).
7.7 Repaired Weld Access Holes in the Protected Zone
Inspection of repairs to a weld access hole in the Protected Zone, shall be by Magnetic Particle Testing (MT) or Dye Penetrant Testing (PT).

Commentary on Structural Welding Code - Seismic Supplement
This commentary will enlighten anyone who is still struggling with the clauses in the code regarding the Protected Zone as well as many other factors... This Commentary on AWS D1.8/D1.8M:2009 has been prepared to generate better understanding in the application of the code to welded construction of steel in seismic applications. Since the code is written in the form of a specification, it cannot present background material, or discuss the Structural Committee's intent; it is the function of this commentary to fill this need.
So it basically covers the same topics as in the clauses of the code but, much more in depth and details to give the reader some clarification of the what, how, and why that some of us can misunderstand, or be left unsatisfied with the meaning of the clauses as they are written in the form of specifications... Imagine if we only depended on the clauses in the code only and totally disregarding the commentaries and annexes? Talk about confusion!

I am going to go past C1 General Requirements but you don't have to, and ask all of you to take a good look @ the tables and the figures found in C1 and observe the table: C1.1 Removal of Tabs and Backing The table is pretty much self explanatory and yet as it is written previously if in doubt, one should give the engineer an RFI (Request For Information) to clarify what the engineer wants to be done because they, and only they have the authority to make whatever decision to go with in the contract documents since they write the provisions in the contract documents in the first place... If you then look @ Figures C1.1 to C1.3, you will notice the different examples of where the protected zones are, SFRS members, Demand Critical Welds, and joints subject to the requirements of D1.8 yet aren't commonly known demand critical welds as well as D1.1 joints that are subject to the requirements of D1.1 only...  Where they are located with respect to each connection, and all three figures refer to C1.2.1, items 2,3, and 4 of the commentary.

I could go on but, I know that it's best for me to stop here regarding the D1.8 Seismic Supplement... Besides, if you can get into the AWS website, you can find a gem of an article in this summer's "Inspection Trends" titled" Understanding Protected Zones" by Brent E. Boling - Here are answers to whether you can or can't perform welding in the "Protected Zone". that pretty much covers this code supplement more so in some of the applicable real world perspectives than what I just posted... Here's a link or two for the article I just mentioned:

http://www.aws.org/itrends/current.html

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aws/it_201407/

Here's an interesting read that ought to spark a discussion on this very subject...it's a Technical Bulletin from the Metal Building Manufacturers Association published Winter 2008;

http://www.mbma.com/pdf/Welding%20Issues%20-%20Winter%2020081.pdf

Another good article from "Steel Wise" MODERN STEEL CONSTRUCTION, October 2008 regarding AWS D1.8., FEMA 350 thru 353 & FEMA 2000d, the AISC documents and some history as well:

http://www.modernsteel.com/Uploads/Issues/October_2008/102008_steelwise_web.pdf

An article written for the February 2007 edition of the AWS Welding Journal titled: "New AWS D1.8 Seismic Welding Supplement Outlined"
BY RONALD O. HAMBURGER (NOT Ronald McDonald:lol:), JAMES O. MALLEY, AND DUANE K. MILLER:

http://www.aws.org/www/wj/2007/02/WJ_2007_02.pdf

Finally, this is a very good overview of AWS D1.8 from Lincoln Electric: D1.8 Seismic Supplement Welding Manual
A General Overview of AWS D1.8 Structural Welding Code - Seismic Supplement:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/US/EN/literature/C165.pdf

This is Lincoln Electric's AWS D1.8 Resource Center webpage which is mostly advertisement for which I do apologize:

http://66.181.85.219/D1.8.asp

As you all know by now - I could go on but, I'll just stop before someone catches an attitude because of all of the information I tend to "stuff" into my posts... Sheesh!!!

So enjoy and I hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-21-2014 07:51
I almost forgot to include this standard from AISC: ANSI/AISC 341-10
An American National Standard - Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings - June 22, 2010
Supersedes the Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings dated March 9, 2005, Supplement No. 1 dated November 16, 2005, and all previous versions.

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=29248

Here's more from AISC:

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=2884

Seismic Design Resources:

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=29486

Enjoy!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-21-2014 19:31
Travis,

In accordance with the AISC seismic provisions, the structural design drawings and specifications must show the work to be performed.  This includes the locations and the dimensions of protected zones.  Typically, these are the regions at the ends of beams that will be subjected to inelastic strain.  The protected zone typically extends from the column face to one half of the beam depth beyond the plastic hinge point.

A few years ago, I broke everything down and put it into a word document for my company to help our estimators, project managers, and the fab shop have a better understanding.  I've explained what's required on the design drawings and project specifications, the advanced bill of material, the shop drawings, the erection drawings, and shop and field welding requirements:

Seismic Provision Basics

The basics provided here have been taken from the AISC Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings and the Steelfab Corporate Drafting Standards. 

Overview

When designing buildings to resist earthquake motions, each building is categorized based upon its occupancy and use to establish the potential earthquake hazard that it represents.  Buildings are assigned to one of three Seismic Use Groups, depending on occupancy or use, and in accordance with the applicable building code.  Group III includes essential facilities, while Groups I and II include facilities associated with a lesser degree of public hazard.  Buildings are then assigned to a Seismic Design Category, based on the Seismic Use Group, the seismicity of the site, the period of the building, and in accordance with the applicable building code.  Seismic Design Categories A, B, and C can be applicable to buildings in the areas of high seismicity and having an R factor greater than 3.  Seismic Design Categories A, B, and C can also be applicable to buildings in the areas of low to moderate seismicity and having an R factor of 3 or less.  However, special seismic provisions are mandatory in Seismic Design Categories D, E, and F, regardless of the R factor.
Note: R = seismic response modification coefficient.  R is a factor that reduces seismic load effects to a strength level as specified by the applicable building code.

If the project is classified as low seismic, the structural steel is designed, detailed, fabricated, erected, and inspected in accordance with the standard provisions of the AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings.

If the project is classified as high seismic, the structural steel is designed, detailed, fabricated, erected, and inspected in accordance with the standard provisions of the AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings and the AISC Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings.  High seismic projects may also require additional specifications, such as FEMA 350 or the AISC Prequalified Connections Standard.

A seismic load resisting system (SLRS) typically includes all columns, beams, and braces that are part of a braced frame or moment frame used to resist lateral loads on the building.  Members may also include collector beams, drag status, horizontal bracing, or other designated members.

The Structural Design Drawings and Specifications

Must show the work to be performed, including items required by the Seismic Provisions, and the following, as applicable:

•  Design of the seismic load resisting system (SLRS)
•  Designation of the members and connections that are part of the SLRS
•  Configuration of the connections
•  Connection material specification and sizes
•  Locations of demand critical welds (welds having additional quality and minimum CVN toughness properties of 20 ft. lbs. at -20 degrees F as determined by the appropriate AWS classification).  Examples of demand critical welds: CJP welds attaching base plate to column, CJP welds attaching flanges and web to a column, CJP column splices, CJP groove welds attaching single plate shear plates to a column.  (Basically, any CJP weld to a column)
•  Lowest anticipated service temperature (LAST) of the steel structure if the structure is not enclosed and maintained at a temperature of 50 degrees F, or higher.  (LAST = the lowest 1 hour average temperature with a 100 year mean recurrence interval).  When the steel frame is normally enclosed at 50 degrees F or higher, weld metal with CVN toughness properties of 40 ft. lbs. at 70 degrees F as determined by Appendix X (Weld Metal WPS Notch Toughness Verification Test) are acceptable.  For structures with service temperatures lower than 50 degrees F, the qualification temperature for Appendix F must be 20 degrees F above the lowest anticipated service temperature, or at a lower temperature.      
•  Locations and dimensions of protected zones (Typically the region at the ends of beams subjected to inelastic strain).  The protected zone typically extends from the column face to one half of the beam depth beyond the plastic hinge point   
•  Locations where gusset plates are to be detailed to accommodate inelastic rotation
•  Any special welding, finishing and/or quality assurance inspection requirements

Welding requirements as specified in Appendix W, Section W2.1 must be shown:

•  Locations where backing bars and weld tabs are required to be removed
•  Locations where supplemental fillet welds are required when backing is allowed to remain
•  Locations where fillet welds are used to reinforce groove welds or to improve connection geometry splice locations where tapered transitions are required, the shape of weld access holes, or if a special shape is required
•  Joints or groups of joints in which a specific assembly order, welding sequence, or other special precautions are required

Note A: All welds used in members and connections of SLRS members must have minimum CVN toughness properties of 20 ft. lbs. at 0 degrees F as determined by the appropriate AWS A5 classification).

Note B: There may be specific connections and applications for which details are not specifically addressed by the provisions.  If such a condition exists, the contract documents should include appropriate requirements for those applications.  These may include NDT requirements beyond those in Appendix Q, bolt hole fabrication beyond those permitted by the Specification, bolting requirements other than the RCSC requirements, or welding requirements other than those in Appendix W.

The Advanced Bill of Material (ABM)

•  Must identify all members that are part of the SLRS.  Substitutions including material of equivalent or higher strength are prohibited without EOR approval.
•  Heavy members that are part of the SLRS must be specified to have minimum CVN toughness requirements, in addition to the standard AISC requirements:
•  Hot rolled shapes with flanges 1 ½” thick or thicker must have a minimum CVN toughness of 20 ft.-lb at 70 degrees F, tested in the alternate core location as described in ASTM A6 supplementary requirement S30.
•  Plates 2” thick or thicker must have a minimum CVN toughness of 20 ft.-lb at 70 degrees F, measured in any location permitted by ASTM A673, where plate is used for built up members, connection plates where inelastic strain under seismic loading is expected, and as the steel core of buckling restrained braces.  ASTM A673 establishes the procedure for longitudinal CVN of structural steel and contains two frequencies of testing.  Examples of connection plates where inelastic behavior is expected, but not limited to, are gusset plates that are intended to function as a hinge and allow out of plane buckling of braces, some bolted flange plates for moment connections, some end plates for bolted moment connections, some column base plates designed as a pin.      

The Shop Drawings

Must include items required by the Seismic Provisions, and the following, as applicable:

•  Connection material specification and sizes.
•  Locations of demand critical welds (welds having additional quality and minimum CVN toughness properties of 20 ft. lbs. at -20 degrees F as determined by the appropriate AWS classification).  Examples of demand critical welds: CJP welds attaching base plate to column, CJP welds attaching flanges and web to a column, CJP column splices, CJP groove welds attaching single plate shear plates to a column.  (Basically, any CJP weld to a column)
•  Lowest anticipated service temperature (LAST) of the steel structure if the structure is not enclosed and maintained at a temperature of 50 degrees F, or higher.  (LAST = the lowest 1 hour average temperature with a 100 year mean recurrence interval).  When the steel frame is normally enclosed at 50 degrees F or higher, weld metal with CVN toughness properties of 40 ft. lbs. at 70 degrees F as determined by Appendix X (Weld Metal WPS Notch Toughness Verification Test) are acceptable.  For structures with service temperatures lower than 50 degrees F, the qualification temperature for Appendix F must be 20 degrees F above the lowest anticipated service temperature, or at a lower temperature. 
•  Continuity plates and stiffeners placed in the webs of rolled shapes are to be detailed to show clipped corners along the web to extend 1 ½” beyond the published k detail dimension and a dimension not to exceed ½” along the flange, beyond the published k detail dimension.  The clip will be detailed as a curved clip with a minimum radius of ½” This is to eliminate any welds in the k area, which have the potential to crack due to rotary straightening of the steel at the mill, which may result in a reduction in ductility and toughness (loss of CVN values), an increase in hardness, yield strength, ultimate strength, and an increase in the ratio of yield to ultimate strength   
•  Gusset plates drawn to scale when they are detailed to accommodate inelastic rotation
•  Bolted joints will be pretensioned and meet the requirements for slip critical Class A faying surfaces.  Bolts are installed in standard holes or short slots perpendicular to the applied load.  Oversize holes are permitted in brace diagonals if the connection is designed as slip critical, provided the oversize hole is in one ply only
•  Any special welding, finishing and/or quality assurance inspection requirements

At a minimum, welding requirements as specified in Appendix W, Section W2.2 must be shown:

•  Access hole dimensions
•  NDT to be performed by the fabricator, if any

Note: There may be specific connections and applications for which details are not specifically addressed by the provisions.  If such a condition exists, the contract documents should include appropriate requirements for that application.  These may include bolt hole fabrication requirements other than those permitted by the Specification, bolting requirements other than the RCSC requirements, or welding requirements other than those in Appendix W.  See Section M1 for additional provisions on shop drawings.

The Erection Drawings

Must include items required by the Seismic Provisions, and the following, as applicable:

•  Field connection material specification and sizes.
•  Locations of pretensioned bolts
•  Bolted joints will be pretensioned and meet the requirements for slip critical Class A faying surfaces.  Bolts are installed in standard holes or short slots perpendicular to the applied load.  Oversize holes are permitted in brace diagonals if the connection is designed as slip critical, provided the oversize hole is in one ply only

At a minimum, field welding requirements as specified in Appendix W, Section W2.3 must be shown:

•  Locations where supplemental fillet welds are required when backing is allowed to remain
•  Joints or groups of joints in which a specific assembly order, welding sequence, or other special precautions are required

Note: There may be specific connections and applications for which details are not specifically addressed by the provisions.  If such a condition exists, the contract documents should include appropriate requirements for that application.  These may include bolting requirements other than the RCSC requirements, and welding requirements other than those in Appendix W.  See Section M1 for additional provisions on erection drawings.

There are many other considerations when it comes to the connection, material, and quality requirements of seismic resistance structures that are not addressed here.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 03:27
Wow Scott, great outline of procedure.

I would point out that 'K', 'K-1', and 'K area' are another misunderstood application by many that requires a fair amount of training every time it comes up.  They tend to apply it to D1.1 when it is only a Seismic application, unless an engineer specifies otherwise.  They tend to weld right on past the corner clip and into the K on multi-pass and/or CJP connection in order to stagger the end of the welds to get a sloped termination instead of ending with multiple overlaps at the end because they have been told the top row of weld needs to be the full length of the continuity plate or what ever connection (notice the terminations being set back from the corner clips in D1.8 Figures C 4.1, 4.2, & 6.3).   

And with that, I would only slightly disagree with the choice of curved corner clips.  The code only states that "curved corner clips, if used,..."  so they are not to be confused as mandatory.  Now, if your company preferred them and specified them as it appears in the outline, no problem, they are allowed.  They just don't happen to be my personal choice.  Fewer QC mistakes are made with a pure and simple angled cut than getting the curved corner clip sized and cleaned properly. 

But thanks for that great addition to the OP's search for knowledge.

You too Henry.  Nice links.

Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-22-2014 11:10
That's my previous company's preference, but I still prefer clipped corners.  Here's another handout I made a few years ago that addresses issues with the "k" area.  I'm not sure why they preferred curved corners, and I never really thought to ask... 

In the last few years a material property deficiency has been identified, namely cracking in the ‘k' area of hot rolled wide flange shapes. It’s not the scrap iron or the continuous casting into near shape that causes the problem, but the final cold straightening that alters the steel properties in the ‘k' area. Extremely high yield stress almost equal to the elevated tensile strength occurs with corresponding lowered elongation and single digit CVN toughness.  7.7 of the Steelfab Detailing Standards addresses this issue by requiring clipped corners along the web extend beyond the published k detail dimension by at least 1 ½”, and not to exceed ½” beyond the published k detail dimension along the flange  7.7 goes on to state that the clip is to be curved, not straight.  If welds on continuity stiffeners or web doubler plates occur within the k area, the area adjacent to the weld is to be inspected as required by the EOR.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2014 13:12
Careful study will reveal that the LAST thing an inspector wants to do is request (never demand) that the weld be removed.  The code says that more often than not removal ends up resulting in more potential damage than the possible good that good be done. 

It is to be reported to the engineer and allow them to make any decision on how to handle it. 

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.8 "Protected Zone"