Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / How to check mechanical property of aluminum alloys?
- - By kevin zhang (*) Date 09-09-2014 12:02
Dera all,

Recently i have to face a problem of aluminum alloys filler metal(ER4043, 3.2MM).

According to ASW A5.10, test method of mechanical property( such as tensile strength,yield strength,Elongation)is not specified, and i am not sure AWS B4.0 is applicable.

Could you please give me some advise ?

Thanks a lot:smile:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2014 16:45
What is listed by AWS A5.10 for the testing requirements? Probably a chemical analysis of the filler metal.

The properties of the weld are dependent on the base metals being joined and the amount of dilution with the base metal.

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-09-2014 18:09
kevin,

The tensile strength, yield strength, and elongation are typically on the electrode spec sheet.  I looked up a spec sheet from the Harris Products Group for ER4043 and it showed the tensile strength is at 27,000 psi, the yield strength is at 18,000 psi, and the elongation in 2" is at 8%, (when welded to 6061 base metal).  Unless I'm missing something in your initial post, I would think that the electrode manufacturer would be responsible for testing the product in order to verify that it is in compliance with A5.10, and then indicating the results on the spec sheet.
Parent - By kevin zhang (*) Date 09-10-2014 13:27
Yes,i agree with you completely.

I have quality certificate of the filler metal from ESAB, and mechanical property is shown on it, but one of my clients request retest results.
i am not sure how to test the mechanical property of the filler metal.

Thanks, Kevin
Parent - - By kevin zhang (*) Date 09-10-2014 13:18
Thank you, Al

yes i know that no requirements of mechanical property in AWS A5.10, but recently one of my customers ask me to retset the filler metal,
they request real mechanical property of this kind of filler metal.

Kevin
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2014 13:49
You can weld up a test plate consisting of a groove with a very large root opening ad backing. An all weld metal tensile bar can be removed from the material in the welded groove. A V-groove with a 5/8 inch root opening and 1 inch plate should be sufficient to give you a 0.505 machined reduced section tensile specimen of undiluted weld metal.

As already stated, it means little when one considers the as welded mechanical properties of the production weld is dependent on the interaction (alloying) of the base meta, filler metal, and groove detail while influences the dilution.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / How to check mechanical property of aluminum alloys?