Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Maximum Fillet Size D1.3
- - By jmahoney39 Date 09-15-2014 22:02
My question relates to the maximum fillet size.

Materials  Steel 14 Gage .0747" A1011 50 ksi to 7 gage .1793 A1011 36ksi in a wheel application.

The 14 gage blades are attached to the 7 gage front and back plate.

The minimum is defined by the stress calculation and material thickness.  I cannot find a tolerance for the upper end.

Where do I look for an answer to this. I cannot find anything in D1.3 or D1.1.

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 00:04
There is no maximum. Codes typical ensure the welds are not too small. Too large is usualy a workmanship/distortion issue.

Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 00:13
Just to add what Al posted; Too large also becomes an economic issue as well.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-16-2014 00:36
The only alternate answer to Al and Henry's responses would be if there is something in the customer's work order/PO issued for the work or in your own company QC manual.

Other than that, the sky is the limit, if you can afford that much time and weld.  :lol:  Though totally unreasonable.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-16-2014 02:08 Edited 09-16-2014 02:32
Wouldn't the weld size be equal to the thinness member if a weld size not call out.If it is a maximum weld size shouldn't it be call out the print as maximum size.

M.G.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-16-2014 03:11
Milt,

As D1.1 and D1.3 have been mentioned for the job, there is no basis in either for using the material thickness as a gauge for weld size.  That is a rule of thumb that has practical application only, forgive me for mentioning it, in the Farm Code.  No where in the structural codes is the minimum size of the weld left to the welder nor inspector to guess for applying to strength calculations.  And the OP did not ask about 'minimum' size.

As to the maximum size, IF the engineer thought it critical for heat input, physical/metallurgical properties, and/or clearance considerations then he is definitely free to state a maximum size for the weld.  And, a good shop will take all of those into consideration anyway as well as cost considerations for spending time and material to run oversized welds.  But there is nothing that requires him to do so and nothing in the codes that gives us a maximum fillet weld size.  Even when we know the size of the materials being used. 

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 03:49
What he said.

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-16-2014 13:52
The original post was regarding D1.3.  My response has nothing to do with D1.3, and I'm sure that Henry, Milton, Brent, and Al already know these things, but since D1.1 was mentioned, I just wanted to add a couple thoughts.  In my experience, when D1.1 criteria is a requirement on a project, AISC criteria is also invoked. 

As we know, the limitations in D1.1 and AISC are stated that "the minimum size fillet weld cannot be less than the size required to transmit calculated forces".  With regard to AISC Table J2.4, Minimum Size Fillet Welds, the AISC further states, "the minimum size fillet weld cannot be less than the size required to transmit calculated forces" NOR the size shown in Table J2.4", which is based on the material thickness of the thinner part joined.  D1.1 and AISC both indicate that the minimum fillet weld size doesn't apply to fillet welds used for groove weld reinforcement, and the corresponding Table 5.8 Minimum Fillet Weld Sizes of D1.1 further requires that for base metal thicknesses of 1/4 or less, the minimum fillet weld size for cyclically loaded structures must be 3/16", whereas otherwise, it would be 1/8". 

Table J2.4 (D1.1 Table 5.8) provides the minimum size of a fillet weld for a given thickness of the thinner part joined.  These requirements are not based on strength considerations, but on the quench effect of thick material on small welds.  This means that the weld needs to be big enough to heat the base material sufficient to create a good bond between the base metal and the weld metal.  That being said, as the base metal thickness increases, so does the minimum fillet weld size. 

With regard to the maximum fillet weld size, a fillet weld size whose strength equals the base metal strength is basically the largest effective fillet weld.  It is, in essence, another practical limit on the fillet weld size.  The strength of a welded connection is controlled by the weaker of the base metal or the weld.  The strength of the base metal and the weld are based on their effective areas.  As the fillet weld size is increased, the weld strength may, at some point, exceed the strength of the base metal.  Increasing the weld size to the point that the weld strength exceeds the strength of the connected parts will be a waste of resources since it will no longer increase the strength of the connection.  Also, the very rapid cooling of weld metal can result in a loss of ductility, and the restraint to weld metal shrinkage being provided by thick material can result in weld cracking.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-16-2014 14:04
There you go.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-16-2014 16:53
Scott,

All very well and true...BUT, it still does not give the fabricator nor inspector any clue as to some magical number or formula for saying 'in the joining of this 1/4" stiffener to this 1/2" plate the fillet weld WILL BE 1/4" on each side or 5/16" on one side'.  People say that you use a 1/4" weld on 1/4" material.  Prove it.  Chapter and verse.  Which code supports that?  Fillet weld or groove weld?  We don't know how to calculate the particular stresses on a particular joint for a particular application.  Way above my pay grade. 

Sure, it is based on the thickness of the materials in use but there is nothing in the codes we can look at and say 'that weld is too small'.  And there especially is nothing in the code that says we can say 'that weld is too large, you'll have to grind it down'. 

And, in your last paragraph, there is no way to use the items mentioned to declare "It is, in essence, another practical limit on the fillet weld size."  It may be a method used by engineering to determine minimum size.  BUT, show me where that is ever used for limiting the size of a fillet weld.  I have never seen an engineer call out maximum size.  And the code sure does not make such a case for determining maximum size that would let the inspector or fabricator look at the project and say 'that weld must be at least this big and not over this big'.  It does not exist.

There is a big difference between common sense application for some piece of equipment that needs repaired and a code specified weld size for public safety with sound basis originating from the applicable code. 

Even you don't actually state a maximum weld size, only the results.  I have seen fillet welds designed for both sides of a part with each one being larger than the thickness of the material.  Seems like overkill, but I'm not the engineer.  Stresses are strange.

Back to the OP, the statement is correct that "The minimum is defined by the stress calculation and material thickness."  But 'defined' and able to be 'determined' by us are two different things. 

Not being able to find the upper end limit is because it isn't there.  I get a kick out of inspectors who pull some magical application out of the codes just to be a pain because the fabricator ticked them off and tell the fabricator they must grind down the welds because they are too large.  Go right ahead.  It will come back around some day to grab you by the tail and cast you into the pit.  Somebody will challenge that and you will be the one with egg on your face when the engineer is called into it and says, 'where do you get that?'  Especially since, our job is to observe and report.  We can't make them do anything. 

I still stand by the 'fact' that the codes do not give us any indication of how large a fillet weld can be.  Not in design nor in final application.  Called for a 1/4".  Ends up as a 3/4".  Nothing that I can do about it. 

Scott, my main point is that we must be careful how we express certain applications when a poster asks a question that was simply a matter of 'how large can the weld be?'  The code doesn't give us a definitive.  But your points are true and should be considered by respectable fabricators and their welders.

Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-16-2014 17:42
That’s right.  We don’t have a clue.  Only the EOR knows.  The referenced tables are minimums.   There is no maximum.  Design criteria may require more or they may require less.  As you know, the EOR has the authority to add to, delete, or otherwise modify the requirements of the structural code.  There have been many times that I’ve RFI’d EOR’s about what’s shown on design drawings vs structural code criteria.  There have been times that they’ve mistakenly stipulated something outside D1.1 criteria.  When I questioned it, they thanked me.  Other times, they took the time to explain why it was necessary.  I’ve always appreciated them taking time to explain it because I learn something new.
My last paragraph is simply a common sense statement in an attempt to explain that when the fillet weld is increased to the point that it exceeds the strength of the connected parts, it does not increase the strength of the connected parts.  I’m not suggesting that this is the size limit, because there is no size limit.  It’s simply common sense, but again, the size is determined by the EOR.  Any time I see a deviation on design or detail drawings from the structural code, I question it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-16-2014 18:13
And in that, yes, first is minimum strength required for the applicable load.  Then, the maximum that will ever be reached because of the materials being used calculated by both size and physical properties.  Beyond that maximum is total waste as to time and materials/consumables.  But, the codes don't give us any way of determining either maximum state.  Which is what I want to be careful to make sure people working to codes understand.  We don't have a way of finding that size and especially saying, STOP, that weld is TOO large, you MUST grind it down (or even remove it and start over). 

I think you and I are on the same page.  We are just looking at different aspects of the question. 

I also know my mind is still in slow as I just got up.  Nights!

Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-16-2014 18:55
I think so as well. 

The only time I've ever had a problem with a fillet weld being too large wasn't when it was shown on a drawing.  It was when the fillet weld exceeded the prequalified maximum size for a single pass, but that's another story.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-16-2014 18:33
Any time I see a deviation on design or detail drawings from the structural code, I question it.
I question everything
except for what Brent says:wink:
and anything Al or Henry says, I question twice:wink::eek::cool::grin::lol:
we still have that 6010 debate on moisture:eek::surprised:
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 22:07
Then start a new thread Ken.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-16-2014 22:36
Henry,
done:evil:
Kent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 14:26
The Engineer may impose the requirements of D1.1 simply because the acceptance criteria of the sheet metal code is so loosey goosey it doesn't suit his needs.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2014 22:10
Hey Al,
Isn't that "Goosey Lucy?":grin::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::wink::cool: What a gal!:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2014 03:29
Only in Rotten Groton.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Maximum Fillet Size D1.3