Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 / Full Penetration on Pipe to Plate
- - By Funfax (*) Date 09-25-2014 10:02
Hi All , Please help me

I have a pipe and plate, Which must be joint to a Full penetration as show below

Pipe size 14" Sch.120

Plate Thk. 30 mm.

I must be to generate the WPS for client

The question is, I will follow Range qualified in any Table of part 4 ( Qualification ) AWS D1.1 ?

I concern about thickness range qualified, I don't know which can follow the table in part 4.

Please clarify me

Sorry for my English
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-30-2014 09:59
You're writing a WPS for client......I guess your question is related to procedure qualification test

if that so, then you can use 25mm or sch 120 for qualifying pipe to pipe (butt joint), it will be easier if your pipe and plate have the same material specification / grade. If not, then find a pipe that have the same grade with your plate. Refer to Table 4.2 for range of thk & dia qualified.

~Joey~
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-01-2014 02:48 Edited 10-01-2014 03:03
It is unlikely the pipe and the plate will have the same specification unless the pipe is fabricated from plate.

If qualifying the welding procedure specification, it is easier to select the materials from the same base metal groups. For example, SA53 or SA106 pipe and SA36 plate are all contained in the P1 group (ASME) or M1 for AWS B2.1.

If the materials are not the same thickness, the thickness range qualified would be based on the thinner material.

The joint used to qualify the WPS should be a butt joint rather than a corner joint. Based on the questions, you might want to consider if you have the back ground and experience to be developing WPSs without help from someone that is more familiar with the process of qualifying the WPS and the various welding standards that apply. No disrespect intended, just calling it as I see it. The welding codes assume the individual responsible for qualifying WPSs has the expertise (training and experience) to develop and qualify the WPS. The codes do not provide step by step instruction on how to qualify the procedure or the welder.

You might consider reading past issues of Inspection Trends that include articles on the subject of qualifying WPSs. I believe there are several articles on the subject starting with the winter 2010 issue of IT. The link to the first of several articles on the subject: http://www.aws.org/itrends/2010/10/IT_October_2010/index.html#/0/ 

Subsequent issues of IT discuss various aspects of developing and qualifying a WPS.

Al
Parent - By Funfax (*) Date 10-01-2014 09:13
Joey & AI

Thank you so much
- - By Funfax (*) Date 12-02-2014 09:20
I have another question.

If the pipe is a Grade A333 Gr.6 and Plate is S355ML. If something like this. How can I find out what grade material to replace them with?

Thank

Nowie
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-02-2014 11:39
Funfax,

My experience with pursuing replacement material for structural items is to find material with comparable tensile and yield properties and submit their mill test reports to the engineer of record.  Fortunately, I've not had an EOR reject any of these types of submittals.  I'm not familiar with the material grades in your question, so I'm unsure as to whether something else would need to be considered.
Parent - By Funfax (*) Date 12-03-2014 01:38
Hi SCOTTN,

S355ML is material from EN Standard ( Refer to EN 10025-4: 2004 Hot rolled products of structural steels. Technical delivery conditions for thermomechanical rolled weldable fine grain structural steels )

However, I don't know what to grade which had been compared to a pipe.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-03-2014 03:31
I think you have to seek approval from Engineer for replacing the materials and have to amend the WPS.

If there is a leeway to change the Code, you can use one International Standard (ISO 15609-1). This standard allows you to use alternative materials based on the comparison of chemical & mechanical properties regardless of material specification.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 / Full Penetration on Pipe to Plate