Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ASTM A-786 diamond plate
- - By David87507 Date 09-25-2014 23:51
Specification calls for ASTM A-786 diamond plate.  The material is not a pre-qualified base material per AWS D 1.1, Table 3.1.  Do I need to qualify the material in conformance with Clause 4?

Appreciate the help.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2014 01:10
Hello David,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

The best way to answer your question is to make sure you have asked a few of yourself and your project.

I presume from the tenor of your question that D1.1 is the prevailing applicable code, so the most obvious starting place is taken care of.

Then, I would presume (never assume) that your engineered and approved drawings are calling for this particular material on part of your project?  Again from the tenor of your question it appears that is so.

I presume there will need to be welding involved in the attachment of this D plate to some other member?  Is there any way to bolt it instead?  Is it actually part of the structural assembly or is it classified differently so that D1.1 would not apply to it?

On the surface it would appear that your conclusion will prevail and you will indeed need to test to qualify your procedure.  With PQR in hand you can write your WPS and weld away on your Dplate to whatever other member you have.  The testing should prove to be relatively painless but it will cost a few bucks and take up some time. 

There are aspects of this that we don't know, but on the face of it I would venture to say 'Yes', you need to qualify to Clause 4.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-26-2014 05:01
If the floor plate is "non-structural" the Engineer might grant an exception to the qualification requirements of clause 4.

Some homework on your part could help the Engineer. For instance; can you show the Engineer that the chemistry of the floor plate is similar to that of a prequalified material that is listed by Table 3.1. Are the mechanical properties similar to a listed prequalified base metal. Make the Engineer's job painless and he might be more inclined to grant the exception.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-26-2014 16:42
I agree.  The AISC Code of Standard Practice lists floor plate as a structural element when it attaches to structural framing.  I've found that an EOR is much more inclined to accept a proposal when I've provided as much information as possible. The properties of A786 plate are similar to A36 plate (under 3/4" thk.)...

Physical:                  
                   A786      A36

Yield            33 ksi     36 ksi               
Tensile         60 ksi     58-80 ksi
Elon. in 8"     22 min.   20 min.

Chemical:
                   A786      A36 (max's)

Carbon           0.33      0.25         
Manganese    0.3-0.7    ....
Phosphorus     0.05       0.4
Sulphur          0.05       0.40
Parent - By David87507 Date 09-27-2014 14:33
Thank you all very much
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ASTM A-786 diamond plate