Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Out of date standard
- - By John T. (*) Date 10-09-2014 03:02
Hello all,
I'm reviewing WPS's from company x and the first thing that jumps out at me is the fact that many of the procedures have been written or revised recently but all reference D1.1:2008

Can anyone chime in on the benefits or validity of using an older standard?

Thanks in advance
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-09-2014 03:55
Benefits?? Laziness, penny pinchers, saving money because you're too cheap to buy a new edition of the code, no time wasted writing new WPS's were applicable.  Same old story, time and money.

Validity?  Sure, they are still acceptable under most circumstances.  Especially a 2008.  Not that old.  A lot of job specs will actually still reference the 2008 edition as it's authority as projects engineered, approved, permitted, and in the fabrication/erection process now were put on paper with the 2008 being the updated code at the time.  Inspections need to be done to the same code the project was designed and approved to.  Some changes could open quite a can of worms. 

As well as the fact that clauses 3 and 4 don't really go through that much change from edition to edition.  So all the prequalified WPS information in Clause 3 is pretty much the same as well as the information in Clause 4 on Qualifying Procedures and/or Personnel. 

Now, I understand your concern that a company that is writing WPS's to cover work to be performed currently is using an older edition.  WHY don't they have a new one?  SEE POINT #1 (first paragraph).  Revising to make an existing WPS conform to current code and/or job specifications is not as big a deal as developing a new WPS using old codes.  Though, as already stated, those sections do not change much very often. 

Object/Bottom line: make sure they conform with job specifications and welding manufacturer specifications on consumables.  Then, make sure the new ones in particular do align with the 2010 edition if it is needed.

One question, do they have the 2010 and just forgot to change the form down at the bottom where it says which code it is too.  They may just be using an old downloadable form for the WPS's and didn't know they could/should change that. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 10-09-2014 07:05
See Clause 4.3.1

Is it a prequalified? What is wrong if you have WPS written 10years ago but qualified recently based on the current edition.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-09-2014 11:27
If they've been written or revised recently, and if they used an out of date code to do so, I would submit my findings to the EOR and let he/she make the decision to either reject or accept the documentation.

My personal opinion is that it's one thing to perform and document everything using the 2008 edition (prior to the release of the 2010 edition), as opposed to using the 2008 edition after the 2010 edition was released, even if nothing changed.  Using an out of date D1.1 in the manner that it was used in would be cause for me to question and look into what else may be going on at company x within the realm of my inspection responsibilities.

Here's a link that summarizes the revisions to the 2010 D1.1. 

http://www.aws.org/technical/d1/d1-1article201007.pdf
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-09-2014 20:16
If the 2008 edition of the code is specified by the drawings, or if the project has been on going for the last several years, or if the building code still references that particular code, no harm, no foul.

Technically, the code in effect is the code specified by the building statues in your community unless the Engineer invokes a more recent edition.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Out of date standard