Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Looking For New Software
- - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-16-2014 11:28
I've been using Lincoln Arcworks for several years.  It still works great on my older computer, but it's not compatible with newer computers, and we're looking for another program for D1.1 weld procedure, procedure qualification, and tacker/welder qualification capabilities, and if possible, maintaining the continuity log.  One program I've been asked to review is the CWI Helper.  We're looking for a user friendly program at the best price.  Any recommendations?
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-16-2014 17:54
I have not come across this 'CWI Helper', Have you any details? Is there a demo available?
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 10-16-2014 18:33
I also use the Arc Works software, can't beat the price! I wasn't aware of issues with using it on newer computers, maybe I better upgrade as well.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-16-2014 19:06
Glyn,

Yes it has a demo.  I used it earlier today.  The WPS, the welder qualification, and the continuity log were very user friendly.  You can also add your company logo to each of them.    

http://cwihelper.com/Pricing/tabid/87/Default.aspx
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2014 00:23
I can see why you want to use another software package instead of this one SCOTT... I wouldn't like the notion of having to be connected to the internet in order to use the software properly... And that monthly fee will add up in a year's time which could be used instead to purchase an alternative software application that doesn't need to be chained to being online in order for the app to work... But what really put up a red flag was the CWI Directory which had only one CWI listed and is a combination machine shop and welding supply distributor! Now if that doesn't spark up your antenna's then you're probably on too many mind & mood altering drugs if you get my meaning.

Bottom line is that it's an app that has just started to be distributed, and they'll hook you by keeping all of your records on their servers only from what I read so far which means once they sucked you in with the demo, then they got you by the cojones and nobody's gonna mess with my cojones except for the woman I love! Get rid of it SCOTT!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-17-2014 13:53
Thanks Henry.  It never occurred to me that my records would end up being kept on their server and then paying a monthly fee to access them.  I guess I was thinking that it’s similar to Arcworks, with all the records being kept on my computer.  That’s not a good selling point for me, though, I’m still amazed by the internet.  One minute I'm at work looking up random stuff, and then the next minute I'm fired and I’m at home looking for a new job.  All that does is give me more time on the internet.  The other day my wife told me to get on the internet and buy something that makes me last longer in bed, so I ordered sleeping pills.  When I received them, she was furious, and she warned me that if I ordered any more, she would never speak to me again.  So I ordered two cases.  My last internet purchase was for some immortality pills.  The selling point was that if they end up not working I can apply for a full refund.  To me, the best part is not actually paying for them, and then, if they don’t work, I can get a full refund.  All thanks to identity theft.  In my younger days the internet was a great way to meet girls.  When I joined an internet dating site, my first date was with a girl at a hospital.  When I went to meet her, she said, “I don't know if the website told you but I only have a few weeks to live.” So I said to her, “I don't know if the website told you, but I was only looking for a short term relationship.”  The reality of that whole dating experience was similar to the expression “innocent until proven guilty.”  Only in the internet world, the expression should have been “male until proven female.”  With regard to your reference to cojones, did you know that if you close your eyes and rub a Kiwi fruit with one hand and rub one of your cojones with the other, it's difficult to tell the difference.  It also gets you banned from Walmart.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2014 15:23
Once again you have outdone yourself Scott - I'm still laughing as I'm typing this!:lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::grin::smile::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-23-2014 20:10
I am at this time by no means 100% up to speed relative to the "recent" advances in welding industry software packages, but in my limited travels, I have discovered some practical workarounds.

Granted, some of these options might be more readily available to large corporations than small operators, I still think they are worthy of consideration.

1.) Get a good PDF editor if you do not have one already - and maintain your Adobe updates.
2.) Learn how to use rapid search capabilities - many modern PDF documents are searchable by keyword inputs, as are virtually all Word documents.
3.) Learn how to make use of the existing forms that are provided in the appendices of most modern, up to date welding codes.
4.) Lean how to make optimum use of your operating system's file structures - and copy URLs into tables in Excel spreadsheets if necessary.  (Or, use old school methods like remembering where you filed the documents).
5.) Get pricing from document services like IHS Global and others that provide PDF downloads for thousands of codes and specifications.
6.) If you are not a large corporation with a huge IT budget, then make a conscious effort to remain aware of software "life cycle" limitations and the potential "obsolescence" risks. It is likely safe to assume at this point that the standard (stand alone) document formats should remain compatible for a long time going forward - even if the storage hardware technology changes.  Learn how to leverage simple tools like MS Excel and MS Access for issues like weldor qualification expiration dates - and teach the shop management how to properly update the records if need be.  I know of one shop that spent $600K on weldor qualification tracking software - as a stand alone program; and, their employees updated the information on a daily basis on kiosks in the shop as work assignments were completed.  There is more than one way to skin a cat - as the saying goes.
7.) We all need to lobby the powers that be to lower the cost of important documents (through electronic distribution if necessary), and to improve document access for those who have a legitimate need to know.

As for real men, real women, and the Internet - I think we all need to get proper, serious about our work, and to show proper respect to those who might be a little different than us.  All joking aside, hermaphrodytes are a medical science reality - in some medical books.  I certainly am not one of them, and I can assure you that I am a 100% straight oriented male.  But, lets not be too quick to judge others without a full and proper understanding.  These kinds of comments might get people fired at some modern corporations - political views aside, at a minimum it a bad testimony, and worst case, it is not worth the risks.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2014 16:50
And your point is?
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-24-2014 19:41 Edited 10-24-2014 19:45
I'm sorry Henry.  Let's stick with the 7 "suggestions" I posted, and not concern ourselves with the off topic blurb in the final paragraph.  I suppose my final comment also had a smidge of snarky sarcasm; and sincerely, no ill intent or offense was intended by me.

The subject of IT support for our evolving welding industry still remains a controversial subject for some stakeholders, with many competent and capable people who still choose to use older established methods - like traditional print media.  At the same time, computers offer the chance to house large volumes of information that can be rapidly searched.

I am still very leery of software that is directed at the automatic "creation" of welding procedures based upon user inputs.  However, for many basic welding applications, simpler systems might be established for filing and then indexing established and/or pre-qualified welding procedures, as well as for filing and indexing welding operator qualifications. 

I hope I did not sound simplistic or condescending by offering a reminder of "the basics", but there are still users at this website who have not thought through the basics of electronic publishing far enough to be aware of the potential advantages.  In one of my previous posts, there was a forum member who was unaware of the existence of the keyword search and printout capabilities for the PDF documents sold at this website.

The disadvantages and potential risks are also important to consider - like your concerns regarding off site data storage.  Off the record, my own worst fears related to this whole planet are frequently focused on what will happen if and when the power ever goes off.

But, then, we have devices like tablets, and eBook readers, and solar power recharging panels, yada, yada....and issues like battery life, screen size and display clarity, and cost???  And then too, there are those who hold up their burning butane lighters...And what is the latest with load times and sizes for USB thumb drives???  200+GB (in seconds???) for HP???

I'm done for now - but, I will admit that my head sometimes races with thoughts related to welding "software topics".

Respectfully to you as well....

Have a good weekend!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-25-2014 03:47
Fascinating!

It's okay, I consider that an attribute as opposed to being a handicap, so think away... I wish I could continue this conversation but, I need to go take my meds before it's too late so we'll continue tomorrow if that's okay by you? Btw, Enjoy your weekend as well.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2014 04:26
In our rapidly changing technological times I think it is time we had some of those who were fortunate enough to jump into this theater and grow with it instead of being left behind  to do practical classes that would benefit the inspections and production world of welding by teaching us how to actually apply all of this to what we do day in and day out. 

After falling behind in the technology race many of us are so busy that with the only classes available being to teach basics of Excel, Word, etc that we don't bother to take time because most of those teachings are still going to take us forever to try and apply that by the time we figure out a couple of the applications we have forgotten all the rest and never really learn how to utilize all of this great labour saving, time saving, professional appearing, job enhancing technology. 

25 years ago this all seemed a waste of time and money fad to me and I let it slip right on past.  By the time I could afford to even participate on the fringe I was way behind the curve.  I have come to realize that the future is in advancing but at what cost in time and monetary output?  And where does one start with schedules that are really hindering the ability to stay in one place long enough to get educated.  We need short classes/modules that would let us move at our own pace as we have with so many online classes for inspectors and other classes.  Good ones that are applicable to us as inspectors. 

Is there such a thing already in place anywhere?  Is anyone interested in helping those who are beyond middle age and are at several disadvantages? 

I'm already taking so many classes it clashes with all my other schedules.  But somewhere we have to change some priorities and figure out what is going to help us the most. 

Just the ramblings of an old man feeling stupid for not taking previous opportunities and trying to reconcile the present without regretting the past. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-25-2014 09:10 Edited 10-25-2014 09:13
Hi Brent,

Please don't take what I'm about to write the wrong way because it is meant to get you in better more positive state towards stuff You claim makes you feel stupid, and just about everything else you just posted...

First off, stop feeling bad and stop beating yourself up because you didn't attempt to learn more about computers because to tell you the truth, the only reason why I was able to become really comfortable with the technology was because as I was learning @ a similar pace as you feel you're learning now, I wasn't so computer savvy at all and I would be stretching it a bit to say that I was computer literate... The reason I got comfortable was because suddenly I had too much free time after I first got sick and ended up becoming disabled which still didn't stop me from getting myself back into shape to return to work...

But what I'm trying to share with you is that I too couldn't take a formal course consisting of going to classes and to learn at someone else's pace if I had so many different doctor appointments physical rehab, weekly blood work and brain fog from having too much ammonia build up in my blood stream which is the cause of Hepatic encephalopathy... Meaning that I was incapable to go through traditional learning methods yet had to come up with one way to learn this computer stuff because I knew that it would be important to be fluent in once I was able to return to the workforce in one capacity or another...

I was given a few CD's with self paced courses in learning MS word, Excel, Power Point, Access at the time and so I started to learn 2 my own pace which was better for me considering the circumstances surrounding my life at that time... I would recommend them to anyone who wants to learn at their own pace... I was able to learn a lot of what I needed to know and it was instrumental in leading me down a path to feel so much more confident about working with computers as well as how software works on a level that is necessary to be able to make the software function in a manner that helps you complete various aspects of a project without having to know in detail what every single line of code means, or any other unnecessary details regarding how these program applications work...

And I can tell you this... You never stop learning because the technology is always changing so you learn what you must in order to stay current and leave everything else that you really don't need to know about alone so you don't worry about whether or not you're going to retain the lessons you learned... These courses teach you how to navigate the software applications like MSN Word, Excel, Power point, etc., but that's it! These courses only teach you what is necessary to use the software application efficiently without getting into the nuts and bolts of how the software is written to a certain code, or any other irrelevant information that you don't need in order to become proficient in the use of them...

I have those CD's around somewhere and they're Windows XP based so hopefully one of your sons can partition your hard drive or add a separate one so that you can run any software that written for Windows XP... Because I can once i find them easily make you copies of all of them for you to use my friend, and I think I have a CD that covers how operating systems work and the guts inside  PC that makes it work as well as showing you how to do some basic computer troubleshooting with the operating system that you already have, and probably some other goodie to help you learn the in's and out's and shortcuts, tricks and other stuff about PC's in general... I have other learning courses also but, these are what you need to learn currently so, I'm not going to overload you with unnecessary and, potentially intimidating information that you really don't need to learn at the time being so you can focus on the topics you need to learn about...

So give me a couple of days to find them and when I do, I'll PM you to let you know what exactly I have so that when I'm ready to send you the CD's, they will only be with the topics you're interested in learning... Reads good to you? :surprised::grin: reads good to me1:lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::grin::wink::cool::cool::cool:
I'll let you know when I have everything ready Brent.:smile::grin::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-25-2014 12:29
Brent,

go to
lynda.com
I believe it is $350.00 a year.
I am lax but it is VERY good and you are able to pace and rewind to your own level.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2014 15:36
Thanks guys.

We have had these conversations before, and I know I am not doing too badly in this area but I feel so inadequate. 

But to me, as a section officer, I hear it at meetings, I hear/see it here on the forum, I hear it on the shop floor and on job sites, there are a good many people in the 50-65 year old bracket that did the same thing I did.  Our grandkids run around on a computer and make us feel really dumb. 

Then, I'll be on a job and someone will show me a shortcut to do something on a report, after that job you don't need that particular access, then a year later something happens and you say, 'I know this, I know I can do this, but.....nope, it isn't there anymore.  I can't do it.'  And that would probably always be a factor.  You don't use it, you lose it. 

Not to mention that about the time we master a portion of these programs, our computer crashes and we get a new one with all new programs and have to start all over.  Doesn't help that we pack them around the world and subject them to all kinds of extreme conditions.  Anyway, the learning curve always gets me.  I don't have time to KEEP RELEARNING just because Windows or whoever wants to UPDATE their stuff (pronounced, make more money off suckers who want the newest, latest, greatest or just need a new one). 

But, my wife and I have started going through some of the manuals one of our sons had when he took computer courses at college and became an IT guru.  Some good stuff in both Excel and Word but it is trying to see how to apply that to what I do.  Learning it isn't so bad-sometimes, it is applying it so that it sticks with you and is available when you need it. 

Hey, gotta go for now.. Henry, I appreciate it.  I would love to take a look at what you have and see how it stacks up with what my son gave us. 

Catch this, when we got married, late 70's, my wife was a computer operator!  Computers that took up the whole room.  Wore earmuffs.  Changed tape reels.  Worked for some large insurance companies then later for an equipment parts wholesaler headquartered back east but with an office in our town out in Portland, OR.  She actually doesn't do too badly picking stuff up, it is teaching it to me.  She is left handed and thinks differently, so is my tech son.  I don't think the same way so what just makes sense to them I struggle with and keep asking... BUT WHY?  HOW? 

Gotta laugh.  I'll get through it but thanks for the kindness and patience. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-26-2014 17:45
Most of these - if not all of these courses are free...

1.)  "Computer Basics - Free Online Courses":   http://alison.com/learn/Computer-Basics

1a.) "Free, Certified Courses from the World's Top Publishers": All sorts of courses that you might have an interest in:   http://alison.com/

2.) "Learn Computer Basics Tutorial for Beginners - Part 1":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBVMyKQ3ZY

3.) "Free Computer Tutorials" @ GCF Learnfree.org:   http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computers

4.) "Home & Learn Free Computer Tutorials":   http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/

5.) "How to Geek", Just about anything you want to know about computers and their software:

http://www.howtogeek.com/117674/the-best-websites-for-free-online-courses-certificates-degrees-and-educational-resources/

5a.) "Here's their main page (Home page):   http://www.howtogeek.com/

6.) "This is from the Education Portal:" List of Free Online Computer Maintenance Courses and Classes: P.S. They offer other computer related courses within this page also.

http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Computer_Maintenance_Courses_and_Classes.html

7.) As Superflux mentioned earlier this is from Lynda.com and they have quite a variety of courses available... You must become a member and there are a few options to choose from with respect to payment plans and what is included in each type of membership and Group memberships are also available too:   http://www.lynda.com/
Here are some of the Excel courses they have available to members:   http://www.lynda.com/IT-training-tutorials/2057-0.html
There are a whole bunch more also and they offer courses covering various subject besides IT as shown on this page listed on the 1st column on the left and on their home page.

8.) "OpenLearn - The home of free learning from The Open University":

http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Computer_Maintenance_Courses_and_Classes.html

9.) "Microsoft Digital Literacy curriculum.":   http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/citizenship/giving/programs/up/digitalliteracy/default.mspx

10.)  This last one is called the "Microsoft YouthSpark Hub." 30+ Programs - Free YouthSpark programs to help young (as well as people our age also!) people around the world capture and seize opportunities. here are some of the programs offered: Office training Featured tutorials:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/training-FX101782702.aspx

If you're starting to become bored with the basic courses that were previously listed above, you can go to the Microsoft Virtual Academy and try one of the courses in here:

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/#?fbid=Xo3n3p0FH9V

If you're interesting in learning more about computer security and safety then here's a site for you called: "Microsoft Safety and Security Center" Here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx

And finally, the Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) Mentor Program:  http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-US/mvp-mentor.aspx

Well, that's it for now... When I find those CD's I'll PM you Brent.:lol::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry 

As a bonus and since you're interested in structures... here's a free course from MIT on "Analysis of Structural Member Systems"

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/civil-and-environmental-engineering/1-571-structural-analysis-and-control-spring-2004/readings/
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2014 22:53
So much for my free time for a while.  Thanks Henry.

Brent
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-27-2014 14:51
Here are some more practical suggestions related to software training (for all who experience frustrations):

1.) Pursuing training resources one day and one project at a time is sometimes less stressful than trying to learn too much in one session - IMHO.

2.) I don't know about others, but, my own most effective learning methods are sometimes realized by searching for new information/methods - one need at a time.

3.) More recent versions of Microsoft Office products offer help menus with links to training and keyboard tricks - and even online videos these days.  And, then too, there is always the public library - and eBook services like Amazon that offer training resources at a reasonable cost.  Some of the training Kindles can be read in an hour or two, and go for $0 to few $.  Amazon still offers free Kindle reader software that runs on PC's and Mac's.

I agree though, sometimes the frequent revisions and updates pose a challenge - like the one I had yesterday when a recent "update" changed my Excel menu options.  I struggled for a few minutes before seeking guidance via the help menu - mostly due to my own pride, and partly due to my anger.

I am not the smartest person to make the call related to how these technologies relate to every person's practical day-to-day needs in the welding industry.  The most productive uses are often determined by how large the enterprise is, how much paperwork is necessary, and how often people are required to travel - and then, by how they travel, and how much they can carry with them.

One advantage of participating in software upgrades is that Microsoft and many of their associates offer free and low cost spreadsheet and document "templates" for applications like Excel and Word - and, many of these are compatible with prior versions.  Sometimes it pays to look for an existing starting point before re-inventing the wheel - but, this depends on one's hourly pay rate, and how fast they can locate the proper information...

I am sorry if I took this thread off track by opening this "can of worms" related to the never ending does IT increase or decrease "productivity" debates.

Perhaps clarification of specific user needs and struggles (relative to day to day industry projects) might offer the opportunity to propose more effective and practical solutions?  Are we talking about shop owners, accountants, engineers, training managers, supervisors, welders, inspectors, QA managers, or CWIs - and whose CWI(s) - the seller's or buyer's???

1.) What must be calculated - and by whom???  Expenses? Consumable use?  Test results?  Parameters?  Control limits?  Reject rates? Scrap rates?  Profits and losses? Repair costs???

2.) What information must be filed and linked - and then, where, and how?  I only suggested using URL links in an Excel workbook because that is one of my own personal "hacks" - and, it offers me a way to consolidate information by specific projects into one (or a few)  dedicated file(s). There are others who prefer using the Windows keyword file search functions - which only become faster with every successive technology leap forward.

3.) We each may have our own often unique individual needs and preferred work methods, but it does help to pursue an ongoing awareness of other options and improvements that might be offered.  If I am not mistaken, there used to be a thread on this forum for sharing templates, and I am not certain what the current status is. In some cases, proprietary or other legal use restrictions might prevent sharing if only a few options are posted.

Regarding XP - I was reluctantly dragged into Windows7, but I have since never regretted it due to the great increase in speed and productivity - time is money as the saying goes.  There are still uses for my old XP system - including some dedicated software that I chose not to upgrade. 

I remain committed to keeping as many of my own outdated electronic devices as possible out of the landfill - and, as long as XP will still run on the web, this offers me a viable backup system.  Then too, some plants in the field still run older (often offline) operating systems, and it pays to have the capability to support their needs. 

Security services like Norton have supposedly committed to supporting XP for another 2.5 years or so, and as far as I am concerned, there is no mad rush for the entire world to change.  My own personal preference is to run virus scans and backups at least once a day - when I am completing other tasks offline.  Some of the newer faster operating systems can complete these tasks in a fraction of the time of the prior technology - only an hour or so for some security needs - compared to 8 to 16 hours for the older systems.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-28-2014 06:20
Norton is well, let's just say inadequate as far as security software is concerned and I'm certainly not going to pay for software if I can use a different brand that's much better and for less than half the price... In fact, there are a few AV/spyware/malware & firewall apps that are available for nada, Zero, free that do a better job than Norton so don't waste your money on them...

Did you come across the newest craze that enables folks to reminisce and use commodore 64 apps on their current PC's? There's a lot of that stuff going on with other older apps also... Seriously though, Brent is still developing his computer literacy level so that he can as he says catch up with the so-called rest of us regarding IT... For what he does, he's mostly interested in just becoming more familiar with the basic MS office apps and learning how to set up some other apps as well... IMHO, Brent is too worried about being left behind and in a way I don't blame him because that was how I felt when I first started tinkering also... But like myself Brent is willing and able to learn what he needs to become proficient with the apps he mentions,and I believe he'll catch up with the rest of us real soon just because of his determination alone!

I was reading your post and I tend to agree with most of what you wrote but man! are you all over the place S J.:lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Looking For New Software