Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Murex 7024
- - By Paladin (***) Date 10-17-2014 12:34
Anyone had experience with Murex 7024 electrodes as compared to Jetweld 7024?

When I ordered (over the phone) 50 lbs  of 7024 rods my local welding supply gave me a choice of Atom Arc or Lincoln.
I chose Lincoln thinking I would get a CAN of Jetweld.

Instead they sent out a BOX of Murex 7024. Lincoln owns Murex, so it  says  Lincoln on the box.

The cardboard box that the rods came in looks like it has been sitting around a while.
I can't tell without opening the box if the plastic wrap is still intact.

With the informative thread "moisture in cellulose rods" in the Technical Section fresh on my mind,
I am wondering about the condition of these rods in a beat up cardboard box?

Floyd
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-17-2014 14:27
Floyd,

Here is a link to Lincolns website,

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/storing-electrodes-detail.aspx

"If exposed to humid air for long periods of time, stick electrodes from opened containers may pick up enough moisture to affect operating characteristics or weld quality. If moisture appears to be a problem, store electrodes from the opened containers in heated cabinets at 100 to 120°F (40 to 50°C). DO NOT use higher temperatures, particularly for electrodes from the "Fast Freeze" group."

Also if in original container/carton in good condition,

"Electrodes in unopened Lincoln cans or cartons retain the proper moisture content indefinitely when stored in good condition"

Seems like I have used some Murex products once or twice but don't think they were 7024 series. Seemed to be alright. I bought some "Radnor" rod one time as it was all anybody had in the area I was working in. Those are made by Lincoln as well from what I have been told. Stored in a cardboard box right off the shelf. The 7018 was an awful thing to run and set them aside after 1 or 2 rods. Found some Lincoln Excalibur in a sealed can with help from a friend. I gave the Radnor 7018's to my kids Ag class at the school. My son came home and said the teacher tried out the welding rod and said there seemed to be something wrong with them. He's just a Farm code welder. I'd say those that I bought needed to go straight to the oven.

Come to think of it, about 3-4 years ago I did run some 5/32 Murex, don't recall any issues with them. The box, plastic inside was in good shape, not beat up, torn. If you have to heat them seems like the temp is between 400-500 degrees, the wife's kitchen stove perhaps?? LOL!!

Shawn
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-17-2014 17:15
Floyd,
I don’t think that Jetweld 7024 is packaged in a can.  As far as I know, only low hydrogen rods are packaged in “cans” i.e., hermetically sealed containers.  My concern with 7024 electrodes in boxes, especially in a beat up box, is whether flux is broken off the rods from being banged around and also if the plastic wrap is punctured.  I don’t want to pay for electrodes that are missing flux because of the container not being handled properly.

Shawn,
Your mention of the wife’s kitchen stove made me think of the time I told my wife that I had invited a guest home for dinner, and she went ballistic.  “What? Are you crazy? The house is a mess, I haven't been shopping, all the dishes are dirty and I don't feel like cooking!” I said, “Calm down dear.  I already know all of that.” “Then why did you invite someone over for dinner?” I said, “Because the poor fool's thinking about getting married.” Since then, and being the thoughtful husband that I am, I’ve realized that it's not fair for my wife to come home from a hard, long day at work and be expected to do the cooking and cleaning.  So I make her do it before she goes to work.  Since she’s started doing that, she has to get up really early because it takes her a long time to get everything ready.  I’m not saying that she’s slow, but if she had one of those cooking shows on tv, 90% of it would show her running back and forth to the trash can to check the cooking instructions on the box.  In all seriousness, to reward her for her hard work around the house, I've decided that for one whole day I'm going to give her a break from cooking and take her out for a romantic meal for 2 and a night of heated passion.  I'm doing it on April 1st
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-17-2014 19:24
Floyd, I have been through a couple of boxes of the 7028 and they were in the tin box. I have to order it and when it comes in, it looks like it came pony express, dragged by the horse not carried. I usually look them over when they go in the oven for  cracks or no coating on the start, the stuff makes a mess when it goes bad. Its frustrating.   Perley
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2014 10:41
E-7024 isn't Low Hydrogen so it doesn't need to be in a can. However E-7028 is Low Hydrogen is and that's why you saw those in a can Lo-hi

If the last digit on an SMAW AWS rated electrode is a number 5,6 or 8 then it's low hydrogen. E-7024, the number 4 as the last digit is a Fast fill, 50% iron powder high deposition rate electrode that's limited in the flat and horizontal positions because of the number 2 preceding the number 4.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/global/Products/Consumable_MurexConsumables-Murex-Murex7024/adcm23c.pdf

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Consumables/Pages/product.aspx?product=Products_Consumable_MurexConsumables-Murex-Murex7024%28LincolnElectric%29

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-18-2014 11:11
We used to buy the Murex 7018 in cardboard, it ran nicer than the code arc Lincoln that was in a tin. If the product moves through the supply chain and isn't beat up or left on a shelf for ever than it shouldn't mater. Perley
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-17-2014 20:19
Floyd:
Murex is a UK company that has been around about as long as Lincoln, and as far as I know, was taken over by Esab, in 1996, and is still part of Esab over in Europe, so I'm not sure it is "owned" by Lincoln.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2014 10:43
It's owned by Lincoln all right Northweldor. Open one of the links I posted in my previous post in this thread and you'll see.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-18-2014 12:45
Curious, because the Murex headquarters in the UK still advertises its association with Esab. See this link.

http://www.murexwelding.co.uk/gb/en/about/index.cfm
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-18-2014 14:24
Northweldor,
you're right.
MUREX is both British and part of ESAB.
Before that they've been part of the British Oxygen Company (BOC) - purchased again by LINDE.

MUREX - as being part of the ESAB group - has, to the best of my knowledge, no 'Murex7024' in their portfolio.
Their specific "iron powder type" is referred to as 'Super Fastex' (E7024).

My presumption/try of an explanation:
LINCOLN produces and distributes its E7024 type simply referred to as 'Murex7024'.

Thus LINCOLN apparently does own one electrode's name but not the particular British company and so, no contradiction finally to what you say.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-18-2014 14:39
Murex - Lincoln Electric
www.lincolnelectric.com › Home › Consumables › Murex
Lincoln Electric
Murex is Lincoln Electric's value consumable option for stick electrode, MIG wire and TIG cut lengths.

AND:

Murex® 6011C - Lincoln Electric
www.lincolnelectric.com › Home › Consumable › Murex
Lincoln Electric
Murex® 6011C from Lincoln Electric features a smooth arc that wets and spreads readily with minimum spatter

Don't know if we are talking about two separate entities or just a trade name with registered trademark here in the states and part of Lincoln's product production facilities.  But, from the Lincoln product guide and off line Google search the 'Murex' name is attributed to value consumables here and available in all classifications and processes.  Does Lincoln just buy from them on some items like other products that are made by one manufacturer and sold to dealers who change little things about it and then market it for their own?  Don't know.  But, it is clearly marketed by Lincoln.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-18-2014 15:16
Brent--

"Don't know if we are talking about two separate entities or just a trade name with registered trademark here in the states and part of Lincoln's product production facilities. But, from the Lincoln product guide and off line Google search the 'Murex' name is attributed to value consumables here and available in all classifications and processes."

This is what I was trying to explain.
2 different companies + a consumable trade name, similar indeed to one of which but owned/used as such by the other.

"Does Lincoln just buy from them on some items like other products that are made by one manufacturer and sold to dealers who change little things about it and then market it for their own?  Don't know."

Don't know either.

MUREX in Great Britain, however, is, most likely as a matter of fact, not part of LINCOLN, as Henry so eloquently was indicating in his response to Northweldor.

It is part of ESAB and as such exactly what Northweldor was saying.
Or, at least as far as I could understand him.

So, again, to me, Northweldor is right.
MUREX is a British consumable manufacturer but does not distribute an electrode type named "Murex7024".
Nothing more, nothing less.

Regards and have a great day, too.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2014 21:26
No disrespect Electrode but, the "Murex" box that Paladin is referring to is a Lincoln product, and not a Murex via ESAB product so let's make the distinction between the two clearly instead of confusing folks even more so than they already are... It's Murex via Lincoln Electric product line of welding consumables as it is written in the Lincoln catalog for Murex welding consumables:

Quote: Product Breadth
"Lincoln offers a broad range of welding consumables under the Murex brand name that includes stick electrodes, MIG (Gas Metal Arc) wire electrode, gas-shielded cored wire products and stainless Stick, MIG and TIG electrodes. You’ll find that there’s a Murex product for virtually every application.

Stick Electrodes
Quality Control
Murex stick electrode raw material is meticulously checked for 19 different elements before it enters our manufacturing systems. We then verify the chemistry of our finished stick electrode products at more than a dozen separate points during the manufacturing process. This level of inspection and Lincoln Electric’s sophisticated ISO 9001 manufacturing and quality control systems ensure that our quality is head and shoulders above the competition. It also guarantees that we consistently meet AWS A5.1 or AWS A5.5 and ASME SFA-5.1 or SFA-5.5stick electrode requirements.

Arc Performance
Murex stick electrodes by Lincoln Electric have consistently good arc characteristics – from great puddle control and clarity to good restrikeability and low spatter. These are the qualities that you want in your stick electrode and that we ensure in our Murex product line." Unquote...

Okay let's focus on the first three sentences in the Stick Electrode - Quality Control paragraph above... It states: " Murex stick electrode raw material is meticulously checked for 19 different elements before it enters our manufacturing systems. We then verify the chemistry of our finished stick electrode products at more than a dozen separate points during the manufacturing process. This level of inspection and Lincoln Electric’s sophisticated ISO 9001 manufacturing and quality control systems ensure that our quality is head and shoulders above the competition." now this could mean two explanations...

One could be that Murex is indeed the manufacturer of these electrodes and has an agreement with Lincoln Electric similar to the agreement between Murex - the manufacturer, and ESAB UK - the parent providing company which is a separate entity from ESAB NA(North America)and as such, are both also owned by separate entities...

Two could be that ESAB via Murex, or just Murex is providing the raw materials and recipe for manufacturing the electrodes and Lincoln is licensed by Murex to actually manufacture the E7024 product as well as other Murex welding consumable products, and Lincoln is also using their ISO 9001 quality system to ensure the end product which is virtually identical to what the Murex recipe calls for as the end product...
Btw, the Murex/ESAB version of E7024 calls itself "Super Fastex" as opposed to just plain Murex(Registered Trademark)7024 and packaged in a cardboard box container labeled:
"Lincoln Electric" with "lincolnelectric.com" printed on the side of the rectangular box ...

Regardless of who is actually manufacturing the Murex E7024 product which in Paladin's case has a Lincoln Electric cardboard boxed container with Lincoln's own name on the box as it can be clearly seen in the Lincoln electric link here:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Consumables/Pages/product.aspx?product=Products_Consumable_MurexConsumables-Murex-Murex7024%28LincolnElectric%29

So now that it has been established that both Lincoln and ESAB use the Murex name, and none of us are privvy to the actual agreements, or arrangements regarding the use of the same name which is Murex... The Lincoln Electric version clearly states as part of the brochure link for Murex E7024 this:
"Manufactured under a quality system certified to ISO 9001 requirements" This is the statement that is at least for me, causing the most ambiguity with respect to who is actually manufacturing the Lincoln Electric version of the Murex E7024...

After reading and comparing from both the ESAB/Murex link and both of the Lincoln Electric/Murex links... The only conclusion I have as an observation is that Murex the manufacturer and designer of the E-7024 SMAW electrode is licensing Lincoln Electric to manufacture the same recipe and using theISO 9001 quality control system to verify that they're producing the end product exactly the way Murex wants them to manufacture the E 7024 electrodes

Here's the ESAB/Murex product catalog link, the Super Fastex E7024 electrodes are shown in page 21 of 58 in the .pdf:

http://www.murexwelding.co.uk/gb/en/products/upload/Murex-Arc-Gas-Conumables-3.pdf

In conclusion, we're both right about Murex but in Paladin's case, the electrodes he purchased have the Lincoln Electric brand name on it and not the ESAB brand name.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-19-2014 06:56
Henry,

"After reading and comparing from both the ESAB/Murex link and both of the Lincoln Electric/Murex links... The only conclusion I have as an observation is that Murex the manufacturer and designer of the E-7024 SMAW electrode is licensing Lincoln Electric to manufacture the same recipe and using theISO 9001 quality control system to verify that they're producing the end product exactly the way Murex wants them to manufacture the E 7024 electrodes".

That might be it and also; no disrespect intended at this side of the Pond.

Regards
- - By Paladin (***) Date 10-18-2014 01:53
Mostly I was wanting to know if the Murex welded OK. Some have preferences on different brands of 7018.
Any input might influence my returning theses for Jetweld or Atom Arc.
I am a little concerned about the condition of the box.

It has been decades since I bought any or ran 7024 electrodes. I have a job coming up with a number of non critical welds, 3 inch square tubes laying across W6's.
It is a large pergola, more of less. Up in the air and outside. 7024-fast fill, easy clean up. Seems like the thing to do.

Lincoln and Hobart recommend storing fast fill electrodes in a dry box 100-120 F. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/storing-electrodes-detail.aspx

I can not remember if the 7024 I bought were in cans or boxes.
But I know at least Lincoln 6010's (5P+) are in sealed cans, 10, and 50 LBS. I've seen 7018's  packaged in cardboard boxes.
I feel better when I pop the top on a can, if you know what I mean.

I am guessing about ownership. But Lincoln was all over the box, Murex in small print.

Thanks for the replies,
Floyd
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-18-2014 10:45
Used to run Murex 7018 about 10 to 15 years ago, coating was real white and held on nice. It always said Lincoln on the box and welded nice, a good crisp arc, easy to control out of position. Haven't ran any lately, but unless they changed their manufacturing process it should run nice. Except for the shady packaging. Maybe open it at the welding store and at least get some kind of credit for any damage. Perley
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 10-19-2014 00:39
Lo-hi..... Absolutely right Murex brand 7018 runs excellent !!!!!!!!!!!( 7018 MR) Only problem is the half-assed packaging ........ I used it alot putting on 5th wheel plates......3/16" running overhead is a breeze with this rod.......Only problem on code welding jobs the customer doesn't feel it meets all specs.????????:yell:
- By 46.00 (****) Date 10-19-2014 21:22 Edited 10-19-2014 21:25
Lincoln have a SMAW Electrode called Murex 7024 as well as other designations, this shouldn't be confused with the company called MUREX, which produces a range of welding consumables and are now owned by ESAB, but still based in the UK!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Murex 7024