Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Profession Outlook Survey
- - By nh_northcoast Date 10-20-2014 15:34
Good Morning/Afternoon,

I hope that everyone is doing well. Please follow the link below to take a short survey about the welding profession outlook. Your responses will help paint an accurate picture of the current business climate in the manufacturing space. After we get some data points, our report will be published to the forums or your provided e-mail (no spam). Thanks for participating!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HGNLNX5

Best,

nh@Northcoast Research
Cleveland, Ohio
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-21-2014 03:44
Really!
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-21-2014 15:10
Glyn,

Don't be so hard on him and look at the bright side.  At least it's not his birthday.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-22-2014 20:23
Is this research that is being outsourced by AWS ?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2014 12:12
I dunno man,  I saw the link and since I'm scared of monkeys I won't click on it :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2014 13:38
Yeah man! Those monkeys are rough when they throw their $h!t @ you and laugh as if it's okay to do... So uncool man.:eek::roll::twisted::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::grin::smile::wink:
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-23-2014 14:30
I've not had one throw it at me and then laugh about it, but if one ever did, before I clean myself off, I would immediately spank the monkey.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-23-2014 14:49
Y'all quit badmouthin my cousins now.  Them boys just rowdy is all.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2014 15:25
Give a few more generations to evolve, they'll be good welders yet  :lol: :lol: :roll:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2014 15:45
Ha !   I'm one of those crackpot "young earth" creationists.    Not evolved from a monkey.  That's my story and I'm stickin with it :)
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-23-2014 16:52
Creationism: billions of years of natural selection and evolution - impossible.  However, six days plus an old magic man with a beard... yeah, that works.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2014 17:36
PLEASE!!  I didn't mean to start an evolution vs creation and all their possible variations war.  I think everyone knows where I come from and it was intended purely in jest. 

Brent  :lol:
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-23-2014 17:47
No war.  Mine was purely in jest as well.  I do not believe in the theory of evolution.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2014 18:27
With your great joking spirit I figured as much, mine was just to quench anything that may have gotten started, by me, that didn't need to be gone into here.  We have a great time here and I love it but it can be too easy to drift from a joke into a battle and we don't need to go there.

Most of us have some form of belief system and one on one I may discuss doctrines that I don't feel can be properly handled over the internet format.  It is hard enough dealing with welding 'doctrines' (teachings, systems of practice, etc) let alone something as deep as spiritual theology. 

I may have over reacted but just don't want some of the religious discourses that I saw take place back several years ago when I first started here. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Didn't mean to offend anyone with either my first comment nor my reaction to Lawrence and Scott.  Hope I cleared my stand and not just muddied the waters worse.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2014 19:15
Since others are still posting comments, me too Lawrence.  But, there are more important questions to be asked than how long God took to create earth and all of life. 

S J, I understand and have certain agreements with forms of evolution while not even being close to an evolutionist.  Your example using viruses and other items is well noted. 

Have a Great Day guys.  BB
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-23-2014 19:02
@North Coast Research:

Did you not post this survey last year as well?  I do not recall seeing the results from last year posted to the forum.  You might want to mention in your request for information what type of people you are seeking responses from.  Business owners will likely have different opinions and/or forecasts than regular employees and/or job seekers - or, do your survey questions and statistical analysis method(s) take the statistical significance and/or variance of individual biases into account?

I would very much appreciate any additional meaningful information that might be posted to the web and/or this forum regarding the welding jobs market though. I continuously update my own personal database relative to the job situation, and my own opinion is that accurate numbers are hard to come by - given that way too many HR gurus keep some jobs posted continuously just to maintain a steady inflow of "available" applicants.  Either that, or these firms have revolving doors and disgruntled employees, or low pay, or short projects, or whatever...

I'm not trying to be a negative jerk - just a realist.  Sometimes, the "inside" information is the best information though, so it pays to keep up with prior associates.

At all the Young Earth Creationists:

I appreciate your input and lively banter, and I often ponder this creation subject myself.  For, me it is still a mystery more than a collection of facts that are set in stone.  Please don't accuse me for spreading heresy, but I have to ask: If the Bible says that "...a day with the Lord is as 1000 years, and 1000 years are as a day", then just how long was the creation week?  1000 x 365 is 365,000 years, but 365K x 365K is 133 billion years.  The answer does not make much difference to the bottom line of my own personal faith (if you ask me), and it will likely be debated until the end of the Earth as we now know it.  As only one theological counter point, some people propose the so-called gap theory which suggests that the Earth might have lain dormant for a given length of time.

I do not accept the classical hard core theory of evolution, and I do believe in a creator God that we are all responsible to.  But, we do need to be careful to avoid mocking "science" to a large degree.  "Evolution" does happen on a micro scale, and the PROPER teaching of evolutionary "theory" is essential in medical schools (for example) to improve our understanding issues like those posed by drug drug resistant bacteria that evolve from misuse of antibiotics and so on...

But, this thread is going off track now. Back to technology:  Technology evolves, and people do not - without genuine faith in a creator God.  (IMHO)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2014 20:32 Edited 10-23-2014 20:39
"...but I have to ask: If the Bible says that "...a day with the Lord is as 1000 years, and 1000 years are as a day", then just how long was the creation week?"

Since you asked about the Bible :

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

Exodus 20:8 11 "For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day."

I completely understand that this view is not common...... That the bible is clear as to what a day is.

Your quote from Psalm 90 v 4:   "For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it passes by, Or as a watch in the night."  Has a pretty clear context about the Lord's Omnipresence rather than a contradiction with Genesis and Exodus and the creation narrative.  

Only because you asked...

Edit:

If you are really interested in a creation view that is supported by real scientists, geologists, anthropologists etc.  That is challenging but polite try this:    https://answersingenesis.org/     I follow them on Facebook and get little dabs of science/religion debate from the creation science perspective.

Also;  I still dislike monkeys
Parent - By S J (**) Date 10-23-2014 21:26
Thank you for the scripture reference; and, I did read what you posted, and I have read those passages many times before.

The scripture reference that I posted did not come form the Psalms - it is in the New Testament.

King James Bible - 2 Peter 3:8
"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day".

I am willing to suggest that this issue is confusing for some people because Genesis contains two creation accounts.  And, I have read many commentaries that attempt to explain the differences, so I am aware of the "proper understanding" and clarification of the "differences" in these two passages that are taught by many.

At the end of the day, some interpretations all hinge on the "literal" interpretation or meaning of the word "day".  Were the planets hung in space on the "first day" when God said "...let there be light"?  If I am not mistaken, according to the scriptures, the "24 hour day" (as we presently know it) based upon planetary movements did not occur on the first day.  For many believer's, this does not negate the truth that God being all powerful can do anything - including control time and space as we do or do not know it with our limited human understanding.  However, I am also aware of the existence of true believers who are willing to accept that different interpretations of the Genesis creation account do not change the essential message - that of a creator God, and man's sin disease.

I grow weary of the creation debate - and prefer to focus on passages like John 3:16-17, and II Timothy which encourages believers to: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (KJV)

I apologize for taking this thread further off track, and think I have said enough already.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-24-2014 11:18
Lawrence,

I'm guessing that if you still dislike monkeys, you probably dislike the Planet of the Apes movies too.  I'm with you on that one.  I remember taking my wife to see the premier of the latest Planet of the Apes and she spent most the night signing autographs.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2014 11:59
Actually my love for post apocalyptic Si-fi overcomes my discomfort with monkeys.  Plus they are on a screen.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 10-28-2014 23:30
Is there some sort of Kumbaya filter available?
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-29-2014 00:34
:lol:
Attachment: proofworse.bmp (609k)
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-29-2014 11:05
I responded to the survey with a return to my dump email. Have participated in several surveymonkey surveys with no issues.
Depending on the company have gotten excellent followup and crickets.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Profession Outlook Survey