Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW sub-arc flux
- - By Monkey business Date 10-21-2014 09:40
question for the members. and TIA for the assistance. We run a sub arc welding machine at work that uses granular flux. how do we determine the amount to lay down prior to the weld. we have very different opinions from several people. so I put it to you all....  is it better to use absolute minimum or lay it out there?  One person says use the bare minimum and allows sparks to be seen escaping the flux. one person says pour it out so only a small flame appears on the flux (no sparks) and whatever is not needed by the weld (slag) will be vacuumed up and recycled. Where can I find literature on this please? Thanks Mark
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-21-2014 11:05
Mark,

The correct amount of flux is indicated when the light of the arc reflects on the wire.  If an inadequate amount of flux is used, the arc flashes through the flux and causes scattered porosity, and too much flux causes an undesirable bead shape.  Also, and unless I'm wrong, the process is SAW, not GMAW.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-21-2014 11:17
Parent - - By Monkey business Date 10-21-2014 18:41
thank you, that is very helpful, sorry for the confusion on Gmaw and saw. been doing too many things at one typing time... info provided, and link will be very helpful. Thanks again. Mark
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-21-2014 19:29
Basically what Scott had stated already(almost word for word...LOL) was in the pdf under Flux Coverage near the lower left side of page 6.

Glad it helped.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-22-2014 12:20
It wasn't from the user guide, it was from Lincoln's 4th ed. of The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding, and like so many other great, yet misunderstood artists before me, I changed it up a bit and made it my own.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  Like when I married my first wife, she asked me to pick a song for the first dance at our wedding.  Evidently, my rendition of the U2 song, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", was not a good choice.  Since then, I try to write my own.  Some people have even compared my talent for writing songs to that of Stevie Wonder, which I don't think is fair to Stevie.  He hasn't written a song for several years because he dropped his pencil.  C'mon Stevie.  Find it and get back to work.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-22-2014 13:38
LOL...I didn't mean that you(Scott) had copied the user guide...I just thought it comical that when I looked at the user guide, and noticed that it was very similar.
Parent - - By Monkey business Date 10-23-2014 10:09
I see the link provided is for Lincoln literature, and it has been VERY helpful , I wonder is there similar literature for the ESAB side of the house? does anyone know? for SAW welding that is. Thanks again, just trying to cover all the basis before I end up in a discussion that may get heated. Is there such standards of the same type specific to AWS? or is it considered the same and endorsed by   ... Miller...Lincoln... and ESAB. Just curious is all, as I really get tired of hearing "That's the way I / WE have always done it for the last 20 years" I am just compiling general operators basic information and would be nice to footnote more than one source when this discussion takes place. ... trying to cover the bases-before the pitch, Thanks, Mark
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2014 13:34
You can Google ESAB and find out.:grin:
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2014 13:37
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/support/documentation/downloads.cfm
ESAB has been helpful in the past when I was using their products, if you don't see info listed under the downloads, request info from them at the contact ESAB link.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW sub-arc flux