Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Single-V vs. Angled Square Groove
- - By J.Matrix Date 10-24-2014 13:29
Say you have a square butt joint, 1/16 root opening. If you angle each of the plates 10 degrees, the groove actually becomes a 20 degree included angle single-v, although the plates themselves are not beveled and are angled. Would this joint geometry be considered the same as a single-v with a 20 degree included angle and 1/16 root opening?

I'd post a picture of exactly what I'm talking about but do not know how. Thanks.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-24-2014 14:51
You didn't mention if this is being compared to prequalified joint details.  If it's being compared to a prequalified partial pen BP1 joint (not beveled), I would consider it to be different.  If it's being compared to a full pen BL1 joint (not beveled), there's a prequalified note that states "the orientation of the two members in the joints may vary from 135° to 180°", which allows the joint to be angled as you've described, but then it creates a problem with your 20° bevel, which is outside of prequalified +/- degree parameters, and, this prequalified 135° to 180° note doesn't apply to a partial pen joint with no bevels.  Also, you didn't mention the base material thickness, so the prequalified minimum and maximum base material thicknesses need to be compared to the actual material thickness.
Parent - - By J.Matrix Date 10-24-2014 15:12
Here's a little more info. The PQ was run to Clause 4. The plates themselves were not beveled, and were welded at an angle so that the butt joint actually had a 20 degree included angle. I know that isn't technically correct, but that is the best way I can describe it. The weld test saw only 65% penetration, so it is not CJP. The plate thickness was 3/16.

So, does this qualify for a flat, single-V groove weld with a 20 degree included angle? Or are you limited to this joint orientation? That is what I'm really trying to figure out. Again, if I could post a picture it would help explain what I'm talking about...
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2014 17:57
Welcome to the Forum Matrix !

Curious about a couple things.

1. base metal thickness ?

2. Is the assembly restrained at the 20 degree preset, or does it come flat as the weld is completed?

3. SAW electrode size?

4. Current range qualified (amps)?

5. Polarity  DC+, DC-, or AC ?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Single-V vs. Angled Square Groove