Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My New Multiuse Mud Board
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-25-2014 14:32
I have seen some pretty cool and fancy mud boards in my day. I have also seen some guys make them so nice they didn't want to use them too:lol:

Well here is my approach to building a multifunctional mud board.  It has built in a rope handle to drag from one side of the pipe and to the other. you can lay flat for those tight squeezes or you can prop one side for when you need a little extra reach.  Then when you have those really tall skidded up sections you can prop both sides and use it for a step stool. I also makes a great place to sit and take lunch on those fall days when you don't feel like eating in the truck.  When its stored on the truck it acts as a tailgate and both sides are notched to hold an umbrella on either side for a little extra shade.  My helper has gone on to making these for other guys to put a little extra cash in his pocket.

If you got a really cool mud board postem up!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2014 18:17
Pretty slick there.  Some people really get into their lay down jobs  :lol: 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-30-2014 00:05
well heck ship me that older one Casey made...it was just fine.   Glad to see yall decided to put all that talk into practice.   Looks heavy but very cool!  BTW folks I guarantee Hillbilly did not even grab a brush for stain....he drank beer whilst his kick butt helper built that for him.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 10-30-2014 21:51
Nice mud board. There's an ode to the mud board that I have heard many times but have forgotten it over the years.

There is a problem with these though. What are those extra helpers going to do the first few days they are on the job. They usually spend a few days building mud boards for the welders, usually just some 1X4s boards with some 2X4s nailed or screwed to the back side with two placed so that a 2X12 can be placed in between them for some elevated end and to get your head out of the mud. When the welder finishes the job off goes the mud board since it is usually burned or broken or the grinder has been dropped on it and it gets gouged or my fat ass has stood on it and cracked one of the boards, I'm not as fat as I used to be. That did used to disappoint me some when the helper pulled the board before I got to look at the bottom of the weld. In some cases it also disappointed the welder some too. A mud board like this one would require a lot of care to make it past too many welds and remain such a pretty work of art. I like it though. How long do those drop leaf door hinges last in the mud or do you have any statistics them yet? Keep it on the back of your truck and don't let the helper handle it. I've seen them thrown to the bottom of a 20 or 30 foot ditch and retrieved about the same way.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful piece of work. I wouldn't want to be the helper that mistreated this one.

Maybe someone has the poem about the trusty Mud Board and will post it. It would be good to read again.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-06-2014 04:44
CWI,

It has been awhile since I have been able to get on here due to 15hr days in the field and my time here is limited but I would like to reply to your response.  I can understand what your saying about misuse or abuse. But I have Casey as a helper. I am not a run of the mill PLner. I have a helper that goes with me from job to job. I take care of him and he takes care of my tools.  If some one ever treated my stuff like you have quoted they wouldn't touch my equipment. As far as how long it will last and the hinges I cant honestly say.... I don't use a mud board that often unless it's truly needed. But when I do I got a pretty functional tool. If you seen my truck it's not pipeline style and the reason for that is I like to carry tools. It may even have something to do with my success in the PL field. I tend to make jobs till the end and offers to go to the next. That's the same reason I take my helper from job to job. One to make the other welders jealous:lol: and two because his office he works off of is the back of my truck and he knows how tools and attitude = money
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-07-2014 01:12
Your the man..... Stan !!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 11-07-2014 01:49
I think that board is both awesome and handy. With a little custom routing  or carving it could bring a renascence of functional architecture. A lot of the machines from the   industrial revolution are considered art deco by people. They were designed by working people to be both useful and a sign of their craftsmanship. Maybe bend up some 1/4 square for a custom brand, stamp em, and see how far they travel in a few years. Perley
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-13-2014 04:38
lol I am not looking for show but functionality I should take a picture of the front because there is a dog tag on it with Casey's name on it and a number.  If you see a dog tag and number CMB is Casey Mud Board's Callem up and he will hook you up
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 11-12-2014 03:59
I should have known better just by looking at the back of your rig. Good piece of work. I would expect nothing less from someone from Ponca City. Take care of that helper. I know you know what I was talking about with the helper bit. You've been around a some. I used to visit Modern Supply there years ago for valves, testing, dimensioning, etc.. I myself originally from Henryetta, home of two worlds champion cowboys, Jim Shoulders and Troy Aikman. Though they had different lines of work.

Sometimes I embarrass myself.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-12-2014 23:25
Troy Aikman......... A world class champion!!!!!!!!! Surely you jest....... A mediocre football player at best, playing for a mediocre team.......:eek:
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-13-2014 12:21 Edited 11-13-2014 13:48
I was never much of a Cowboys fan, but I thought Aikman was a good QB, especially compared to the one they have now.  They even sell him now at Toys R Us.....
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 11-13-2014 23:20 Edited 11-13-2014 23:22
You're the one who added "world class champion". You must have enjoyed watching him.

He did lead the Dallas Cowboys to three Super Bowl championships didn't he. All I said was he was a world's champion cowboy even if it was for the football Cowboys. Sorry if I offended you. I know, there was a whole team behind him but he did play for the Cowboys and Henryetta needs all the help it can get.

Is this really necessary anyway?
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-05-2014 14:56
Hell yeah down the road when i rig out i may need to steal this idea i like the hinges, also why didn't u add a rope to the other side???
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-06-2014 04:25
Good Question I think I should.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 10-30-2014 02:46
Everything but a cup holder
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 11-19-2014 13:24
Sorry can't help but notice the brand new never been scuffed in any way pipe jacks behind the used so much the latches are busted off ice chest.:lol:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My New Multiuse Mud Board