Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Understanding Pipe
- - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-17-2014 16:19 Edited 11-18-2014 11:25
Pipe is made of a long hole that is completely surrounded by metal or plastic, which is centered around the hole.

Pipe is hollow throughout the entire length.  Holes that are a different length than the pipe cannot be used.  The hole in the pipe and the pipe itself must be the same length, otherwise, it makes no sense.

The I. D. (inside diameter) of the pipe must not exceed the O. D. (outside diameter), otherwise the hole will be on the outside. 

Pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water, steam or other stuff can be put inside later on. 

Pipe should be supplied without rust.  Rust is typically applied at the job site, though, most vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipe, with a few of them supplying it at no extra charge.  If available in your area, the pre-rusted product is recommended as it will save a lot of time gathering rust on the job site.  We've all seen it.  They need it on the jobsite yesterday, but it's not actually used until next month because it can't be erected until it accumulates a substantial amount of rust.    

Pipe that is 40 ft in length should have the words “long pipe” clearly painted on each end, so the receiver will know that it’s a long pipe.

Pipe over 42 ft in length must also have the words “really long pipe” painted in the middle, so the receiver will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine that it’s a really long pipe that will need special attention.

All pipe over 6" in diameter must have the words “large diameter pipe” painted on it, so the receiver will not mistake it for a small diameter pipe.

When ordering 90 degree, 45 degree or 30 degree elbows, be sure to specify a right hand or a left hand elbow, otherwise you could end up with your pipe turned the wrong way. 

Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill, or downhill pipe.  If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water will flow the wrong way.  If you use level pipe for going downhill, the water will just sit there and do nothing. 

All pipe couplings should have either a right hand thread or a left hand thread, but do not mix the threads, otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed onto one pipe, it will unscrew itself.

Edit: This post was intended purely for entertainment.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 11-17-2014 19:05
I can just see a new pipefitter apprentice reading this post and thinking "oh man, I better check that when I get to work tomorrow..."
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-17-2014 20:43
LOL....yup.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-18-2014 10:15
I can see the apprentice searching for the can of "rust" and then coming back with: "I looked all around but I can't find the can of rust for the pipe!":lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-01-2014 15:47
In '68 and green as a toad, I looked for hours for a bucket of "hot tacks" from one tool room to numerous tool rooms at at refinery.  Still looking today...:eek:

Robert
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-01-2014 20:43
I remember one day a salesman came by and talked the shop office clerk into buying a lens cleaning station for safety glasses.  The clerk had just mounted it on the wall and was finishing up with the salesman when I walked in to sign out a pair of gloves.  After I got my gloves, the clerk pointed to the new lens cleaning station and asked me to try it out.  So I immediately took the spray bottle from the station, and I sprayed one lens at least a half a dozen times and then I sprayed the other lens at least a half a dozen times….. without taking my safety glasses off.  I made sure to get some spray on my glasses, but I also made sure to spray it all over my face in the process.  With the spray dripping off my face and my glasses, I grabbed a few paper towels from the station and wiped my glasses and my face.  As I turned to leave, I threw the paper towels in the trash, looked at the salesman and said “Works pretty good.”  The look on his face was absolutely priceless.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-02-2014 09:37
Robert,
dang it
got me by couple of years:wink::eek::cool:
we keep working and learning in another 50 years we might know half as much as Al:cool::grin:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-18-2014 10:21
I can see the apprentice searching for pipe and elbows":lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::lol::lol::lol: "I looked around and all they had were left handed elbows but no right handed ones... Oh and they only have uphill pipe also so I guess we'll have to wait for them to send us that from the shop... I took the liberty to call in what we needed so it should be here real soon!":eek::roll::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::eek::razz::roll::grin::smile::wink::cool::cool::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-18-2014 18:20
Fitter friend of mine sent his helper for parts. Couple of flanges, 90°s and a 12x12x10 Reducing Tee (which was abbreviated on the list as 12x12x10 red "T").
Helper returns with all items except the "T".
"Where's my T?"
"there wasn't one".
But I saw it there yesterday afternoon. A 12x12x10 Reducing Tee is on a pallet in the staging area for this system! It's the only one on the jobsite!
Yeah, well, there is one, but it is black.......
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-18-2014 18:58

>Yeah, well, there is one, but it is black.......

LOL
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 11-18-2014 22:46
ROFL, I really like that one will have to use parts as I see fit!
- By Lewis87 (*) Date 11-19-2014 02:17
Awesome! haha.
- By Dualie (***) Date 11-21-2014 08:26
A pipe fitter hand at the local refinery used to like to screw with the new supply shack guy on every shut down.  Once the job started winding down he would call down and say where the hell is the 2000' of sch 40 304SS they had that was threaded both ends.   It was stacked out waiting when the job started and its gone.   better get the order ASAP cuz they have less than 48 Hours to get it installed.     

After a bit he would call back and cancel the order.    He was also the guy that if you F'ed him over on the project one of your big DIA stainless valves would find a nice rock to hide under.     then  magically appear when you were super panicked and asking everyone nicely if they had seen it.
- By lo-hi (**) Date 12-02-2014 12:14
Every once in awhile a piece of threaded rod will come through with rings that look like threads.  Its usually a lot of fun for a couple of days. It travels from the tin nockers to the plumbers and then the electricians.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-15-2014 13:57
While working on a powerhouse in Mississippi I encountered some connections that could be bolted up because the holes were misaligned. We tried using a bullpin and then a drift pin, but there were still several holes that were misdrilled. I went to the tool shed and asked the fellow for a couple of bridge reamers.

"Sorry friend, we don't have any." was his response to my inquiry.

"I can't believe a job this big has no reamers on hand. Are you sure there's no reamers back there?" I asked.

He said, "Kid, your free to look for yourself, but I can tell you there ain't no reamers back here. Now if you want a drill, I have plenty, but they ain't no good for nothing!"

"What do you mean? I asked.

"They don't have a point. You can push on them until you're blue in the face, but they won't drill butter!" he said.

I told him to let me see on of those drills. He handed me a perfectly new reamer. He had dozens of them all sitting in their boxes unused because they couldn't drill butter with them!

I wish it was only a joke, but the guy had no idea, no clue what a bridge reamer was or what it was used for.

Best regards - Al
- By goldybowen21 (**) Date 01-23-2015 17:42
I died laughing reading this in the middle of my office haha :grin::lol: great post.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Understanding Pipe