Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 321 to 321 stainless steel plates welding
- - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 11-21-2014 03:50
Could anyone advise if FCAW electrode E308LT-1 can be used for the welding of 321 to 321 stainless steel plates.

The code to be used shall be in accordance to ASME IX.

Thanks.
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 11-21-2014 04:39 Edited 11-21-2014 04:54
Aren't the material requirements specified in ASME section II?  And, have you checked the base metal P-numbers listed in the code?

Do you have access to a current copy of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code?

Following that investigation, my suggestion would be for you to seek a proper copy of the applicable wire specifications specified in the code and/or your contract documents.

If you are a student, these documents might be available at a community or technical school library.

Otherwise, if you are weldor, please ask your supervisor, QA department, or welding engineer for the answers to these questions.

Sorry, but my own hands-on experience does not include any stainless FCAW pressure vessel work, and my preference is GTAW - but this is perhaps only an opinion that might be overridden by cost issues and/or the material thickness and weld size requirements.  You did say plate, so we are perhaps talking about 1/2" or thicker?  Are the plates used for structural brackets?
Parent - - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 11-21-2014 05:52
Thanks for your quick reply S J.

This is one of the materials to be welded in one of our projects. This materials are used for exhaust system diverter toggle (shaft) which requires to be welded on the same base metal.

Apparently, our client doesn't have a welding engineer as well that's why I'm seeking any advise from this technical forum.

We prefer to use FCAW as the material thickness is from somewhere between 12mm to higher thickness.

Since our qualified P8-P8 WPS uses E308L, I would think that this can be used as well since 321 falls under P8 as well.
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 11-21-2014 15:04 Edited 11-22-2014 01:30
Some of us who use the code infrequently do not have the filler metal tables memorized, or have access to their own personal copy.

My suggestion would be to look at Section II part C to confirm allowable filler metals for your base material.

The application still eludes me though - by shaft you must mean pipe, and if so, how is that material plate?
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-21-2014 16:04
I'm not familiar with ASME requirements, but the AWS Welding Handbook, Vol. 4, Seventh Edition indicates that E308LT-X can be used for the welding of 321 to 321.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-21-2014 20:24
AWS D1.6 recommends type 347 filler metal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 11-24-2014 01:16
Thanks to you all for the very imperative information.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-01-2014 15:10
Realizing I am a 'johnny come lately' to this thread I would add that the use of particular filler metals is not specified by ASME codes.
This is an engineering decision.
The use of a 308 is acceptable but perhaps not advisable if 321 is the specified base metal.
Sometimes 321 is chosen for its strength characteristics (in which case 308 weld metal would match the strength-the same mechanical decision as with using 308 for 316) and sometimes because it is stabilized (in which case 347 would be the choice). The key would most likely be in the service temperature.
321 has been more popular in Europe historically, whereas 347 has been more popular here.
347 is used as filler for 321 because the Ti in the 321 does not cross the arc efficiently and alloying is lost.
In fact, in many instances you cannot even get 321 anymore.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 11-24-2014 04:44
Al, leave it to ESAB :lol: their marketing personnel is able to advice:yell:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-24-2014 04:52
I agree. I refer to their website as frequently as I do the Lincoln website. Both provide useful information, but I like ESAB's better. It is easier to look up the different filler metals and the welding parameters.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 321 to 321 stainless steel plates welding