Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / From d1.1 to d1.5
- - By Dreizehn (*) Date 12-14-2014 00:51
My shop is moving more into d1.5 as of late and the shop foreman has asked me to start sinking my fingers into it. I'm familiar enough with 1.1 but am curious if there are any key points I need to look into more than others. Or just any info you may have really. Thanks.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-15-2014 00:28
Not much difference other than being a different code addressing the requirements of structures subject to cyclic loading and subject to fatigue. The about 300 pages that are different from D1.1.

Al
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 12-18-2014 16:17
Very few prequalified wps, expiration of pqr, just off the top of my head.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2014 16:30
Dreizehn,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Also differences in welder qualifications, tooling that can be used during the weld test.  Doesn't apply to production, only qualification.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-18-2014 20:03
Unless it's changed, D1.5 requires fabricators to be either be (1) certified under the AISC Quality Certification Program for Simple Steel Bridges or Major Steel Bridges, (2) as required by the Engineer, or (3) an equivalent program that's acceptable to the Engineer.  One of the things that may be helpful to you during your transition from D1.1 to D1.5 is the link below, which is an AISC publication "Steel Bridge Fabrication QC/QA Guide Specification"

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=20126
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / From d1.1 to d1.5