Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wps/pqr's
- - By weaver (***) Date 12-16-2014 11:39
Good Morning All,

I have been qualifying Procedures for the company I work for and now we are finally overcoming some of the challenges and moving forward. My question is, if i get struck by lightning are the procedures still valid if the bend tests have my "name" on them?
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-16-2014 12:07
If you were qualified to qualify those procedures, and they were qualified in accordance with an applicable code, they should remain valid, even if you are struck by lightning, unless at some point, a change in the applicable code requires a requalification.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-16-2014 12:15
I agree with Scott, assuming AWS D1.1....as long as the essential variables listed in Clause 4, Paragraph 4.8 and Table 4.5(Table 4.6 if CVNs were required) do not change...the PQR/WPS should remain unaffected by your absence.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2014 13:49 Edited 12-16-2014 13:54
With a slight exception, I agree with Scott and John.

Let the CWI go (don't renew the quals with AWS), move on, retire, or, God forbid, get struck by lightening, the PQR and any WPS's written off of it will remain in effect.

Now, even if the code changes, for the most part it still remains in effect.  May be prudent to review, revise, and sometimes even redo, but the old one is qualified as long as it was valid in the first place.  That is, the WPS is revised, you can't revise a PQR, it is what it is.  But once qualified to a current code, it is good.  That doesn't mean the engineer has to accept if for his job.  He may direct a new PQR even if it is still good under the current code just because he wants to see lower heat input, or different parameters somewhere else.  But, the first PQR is still good and can be used for a good many jobs.  See D1.1, 4.3.1.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 12-17-2014 10:55
hi Brent, I apoligize i should of mentioned that I am the welder that is qualifying all of the procedures. I am not the CWI. But on a side note, I am planning on earning my CWI, By December of 2015. Thankyou all very much for the feedback!, Kind Regards, Shannon
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2014 14:48
Shannon,

Don't think I have seen you around for a while.  Welcome back.

My first sentence may have been a little misleading, I did not mean 'Let the CWI status go'.  I meant, if the person let their status/certification go, or any of the other things listed, then the documents were still good.

You don't have to be a CWI to qualify welders.  As long as you are authorized by the company to witness the test, do the testing of the coupons, and write the reports, including signing them 'certifying' the welders have qualified to the company's procedures then you are the responsible person regardless of CWI status.  That goes for the PQR's as well.  If you are the one doing it, it doesn't fade away because something happens to you.  If the welder who welds up the plates for a PQR retires, dies in a car accident, leaves because of illness, better job, none of it matters.  Once passed, it is good. 

Good luck on the CWI exam.  Any questions, just ask.  Many here are quick to help.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wps/pqr's