Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Safety Crew Qualification
- - By Blaster (***) Date 01-06-2015 19:04
Lets say contract documents specify D1.1. 

If a worker is going to only weld temporary safety devices to the building steel that are not part of the building and which will be removed before construction is completed, can they be exempted from welder qualification requirements? 

Same question pertaining to workers welding angle iron supports (or the like) to the building steel for the purpose of stabilizing temporary work platforms (floats), which will be removed before construction is completed.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-06-2015 19:30
No one cares until someone is hurt or killed.

You should review the requirements of OSHA regarding construction safety apparatus, walkways, access ladders, etc.

Let's look at the ramifications of using a welder that is not qualified to weld. The safety apparatus doesn't perform as expected and fails when it is needed the most. A worker is injured or worse yet, the worker is killed. What is your company's defense when the question is asked, "Was the welder that made the weld that failed qualified to weld?"

"No, but he was a good welder!" is not going to be a strong defense.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 01-06-2015 20:07
We need a like button on our forum. Like...
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-06-2015 20:09
I know too well about the potential ramifications.  I almost bought the farm on a job where the "safety crew" "welded" a bracket for the end of a catenary line to a column.  They didn't wrap the line around the column.  Long story but I was a long ways up, tied off to the line and pulling on it (bad move) when it popped right off the column.  The welds didn't fuse beyond the surface rust and were full of porosity.   I was saved by dumb luck when the tail of that line by chance caught another line running perpendicular to it as I was on my heels going over backwards.

Saw an inspector almost fall down an elevator hole when a 3x3 angle iron post for the safety line around the hole popped off in his hand as he leaned against it.

I never investigated this, but using the guys who aren't good enough to weld on the building to do the safety work seems asinine to me.  Just wondered if it was actually permitted by the structural code.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 01-06-2015 20:27
Especially when the way onto the safety crew is to fail the on site welding test.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-06-2015 21:14 Edited 01-07-2015 01:48
I doubt the OSHA regulations will include a statement that the welders engaged in welding anchorage points must be qualified to a specific welding standard. However, there are requirements of how strong the anchorage must be. How the anchorage is designed, i.e., a welded connection point or a bolted connection point, installed, and tested would be left to the contractor. If the anchorage fails, the contractor did not meet his obligation under the law.

The contractor must have a qualified individual design and supervise the installation of fall protection. In the event of an accident, it could be argued that the qualified individual that did not ensure the welds were made by a qualified individual is negligent. It falls back into the lap of the contractor that is responsible for the installation and use of the fall protection.

The employee that is using the fall protection is also responsible to ensure the system is safe to use by checking the system to ensure it has not been damaged or otherwise compromised. If there is a obvious problem, it is the responsibility of the employee to notify the employer of the problem.

You can visit this site for further reading. If you feel the contractor/employer is not fulfilling their legal obligation, you can file a complaint with the local office of OSHA.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=1&p_keyvalue=1926

Good luck and watch your step.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-07-2015 00:53
UUMMM, I would take exception to the direction that statement would take us, I don't care about OSHA, no one is welding on ANY of the steel under my observation without being qualified to the applicable code and being observed by an inspector just as any other welding to any of the structural steel.  His safety components may not be part of the plans, but they are definitely welding to my structural steel and thus are under my job specification requirements.  Porosity, undercut, pre-heat, electrode classification, removal and repair of any gouges after completion, all need to meet the same QC requirements as the rest of the erection.  Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, all have to be qualified to weld on any of the structural steel.

I know some of this is even covered in AISC and I can easily find it in the Seismic Codes for Protected Zones, read an article about those once, because the welding is allowed for safety items even in the Protected Zone but must be done properly and removed cleanly. 

I'll see what I can find to fully substantiate that position but I really don't think one has to go far, probably find it in the Job Specifications for about every job. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-07-2015 01:46 Edited 01-07-2015 05:34
One might have a difficult time enforcing a position that isn't supported by the scope of work defined by the Engineer when functioning as a verification inspector. The verification inspector may not be on the project once the steel frame is erected and the erection contractor is long gone. There are a number of contractors on the project that will be welding ancillary attachments to the structural framing such as safety attachments, overhead door brackets, pipe supports, etc.

As CWIs, we don't work in a vacuum, but our authority is limited by the codes, project specifications, and the people we work with.

Don't misconstrue where I'm coming from. I agree with much of what you are saying and I understand your concerns, but if one cannot cite a specific code requirement, one is left standing in the cold winter rain without an umbrella while wearing a thin wet cotton shirt.

I do have one question, "What are you going to do as the verification inspector to prevent the contractor from using an unqualified welder if the work he is performing is not within the scope of work defined by the Engineer?"

I ask the question because there is nothing in AWS D1.1 or the AISC Standard Practice that authorizes the verification inspector to stop work.

I would go so far as to include the situation in my reports to the Owner, Engineer, contractor, and the building official, but I would be very careful about interfering directly with the contractor activities. What is prohibited by one code may have no application when working to a different code. What is required by the Seismic Supplement cannot be enforced that does not invoke the requirements of the supplement.

I cannot find any reference to the "protected zone" in D1.1. OK, I'm being a smart ass, but you do understand what I'm driving at. We, as CWIs, have to back our positions, our decisions, with an applicable code provision, otherwise it is simply our opinion.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-07-2015 11:54
Brent makes a good point.  AISC seismic criteria requires the locations and dimensions of protected zones, which are typically the region at the ends of beams that will be subjected to inelastic strain, to be shown on the structural design drawings and specifications, and clearly indicated on structural drawings.  It’s also recommended that protected zones be shown on architectural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing drawings as well.  The importance of avoiding attachments or penetrations within the protected zones should also be discussed during pre construction meetings with the various contractors and subcontractors prior to the beginning of a project.  The protected zone typically extends from the column face to one half of the beam depth beyond the plastic hinge point.  Section 7.4 of the AISC Seismic Code prohibits discontinuities created by the fabricator or the erector, and any attachments or penetrations within the protected zones, unless otherwise specified in 7.4 below, taken from the AISC Seismic Provisions manual for structural steel buildings.  This typically occurs in Special Moment Frames (SMF) and Intermediate Moment Frames (IMF).  While the AISC seismic code doesn’t require protected zones for Ordinary Moment Frames (OMF), it’s a good practice to minimize, or limit, whenever possible, attachments within this defined area as well.  When we see protected zones on our shop drawings, we add yellow stripes to these areas, and during our pre erection meetings, we discuss what’s required at these striped areas  with our erector....

7.4. Protected Zone

Where a protected zone is designated by these Provisions or ANSI/AISC 358, it shall comply with the following:

(1) Within the protected zone, discontinuities created by fabrication or erection operations, such as tack welds, erection aids, air-arc gouging and thermal cutting shall be repaired as required by the engineer of record.

(2) Welded shear studs and decking attachments that penetrate the beam flange shall not be placed on beam flanges within the protected zone. Decking arc spot welds as required to secure decking shall be permitted.

(3) Welded, bolted, screwed or shot-in attachments for perimeter edge angles, exterior facades, partitions, duct work, piping or other construction shall not be placed within the protected zone.

Exception: Welded shear studs and other connections shall be permitted when designated in the Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Moment Frames for Seismic Applications (ANSI/AISC 358), or as otherwise determined in accordance with a connection prequalification in accordance with Appendix P, or as determined in a program of qualification testing in accordance with Appendix S. Outside the protected zone, calculations based upon the expected moment shall be made to demonstrate the adequacy of the member net section when connectors that penetrate the member are used.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-07-2015 11:55
Brent makes a good point.  AISC seismic criteria requires the locations and dimensions of protected zones, which are typically the region at the ends of beams that will be subjected to inelastic strain, to be shown on the structural design drawings and specifications, and clearly indicated on structural drawings.  It’s also recommended that protected zones be shown on architectural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing drawings as well.  The importance of avoiding attachments or penetrations within the protected zones should also be discussed during pre construction meetings with the various contractors and subcontractors prior to the beginning of a project.  The protected zone typically extends from the column face to one half of the beam depth beyond the plastic hinge point.  Section 7.4 of the AISC Seismic Code prohibits discontinuities created by the fabricator or the erector, and any attachments or penetrations within the protected zones, unless otherwise specified in 7.4 below, taken from the AISC Seismic Provisions manual for structural steel buildings.  This typically occurs in Special Moment Frames (SMF) and Intermediate Moment Frames (IMF).  While the AISC seismic code doesn’t require protected zones for Ordinary Moment Frames (OMF), it’s a good practice to minimize, or limit, whenever possible, attachments within this defined area as well.  When we see protected zones on our shop drawings, we add yellow stripes to these areas, and during our pre erection meetings, we discuss what’s required at these striped areas with our erector....

7.4. Protected Zone

Where a protected zone is designated by these Provisions or ANSI/AISC 358, it shall comply with the following:

(1) Within the protected zone, discontinuities created by fabrication or erection operations, such as tack welds, erection aids, air-arc gouging and thermal cutting shall be repaired as required by the engineer of record.

(2) Welded shear studs and decking attachments that penetrate the beam flange shall not be placed on beam flanges within the protected zone. Decking arc spot welds as required to secure decking shall be permitted.

(3) Welded, bolted, screwed or shot-in attachments for perimeter edge angles, exterior facades, partitions, duct work, piping or other construction shall not be placed within the protected zone.

Exception: Welded shear studs and other connections shall be permitted when designated in the Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Moment Frames for Seismic Applications (ANSI/AISC 358), or as otherwise determined in accordance with a connection prequalification in accordance with Appendix P, or as determined in a program of qualification testing in accordance with Appendix S. Outside the protected zone, calculations based upon the expected moment shall be made to demonstrate the adequacy of the member net section when connectors that penetrate the member are used.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Safety Crew Qualification