Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D10.4 WPS?
- - By flamin (**) Date 01-13-2015 17:14
Hey guys,

We received an order to weld some 304 SST plate and tubing which we plan on using GTAW. The drawing note states to weld IAW D10.4-1986

We have never worked to 10.4 before, so I have a few questions regarding welder/procedure qualification.

I see there is quite a bit of variables to consider, but as I'm reading 10.4 (1986) the only thing I see regarding welding procedures is in Appendix A2.9 Welding Procedure Consideration which lists what appear to be variables to "consider", and also A2.16 Welder Training, which mentions certification by conventional ASME bend tests or radiography.

So if we created a WPS qualified to ASME IX, taking into consideration the variables listed in D10.4 and also essential variables listed in ASME IX, would this be acceptable per D10.4?

What other considerations should I be aware of? I don't want to "over complicate" this, but I do want to make sure we have the bases covered.

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-13-2015 17:32
Hey Jason,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you or even an opinion.

But I came across this presentation on D10 recently and really thought it was good.  There are some pretty significant contributors.

I thought you might like it.

http://www.aws.org/technical/d10/d10_standards.pdf

Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 01-13-2015 17:41
Lawrence,

Thanks for the info!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-15-2015 13:34
The D.10's are a series of 'recommended practices' for welding that pertains to each documents subject matter. They can be purchased from AWS.
And yes, there is s few fellers in there that know what they are talking about.
However, there are far more recent revs than 1986.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D10.4 WPS?