Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Tumbleweed?
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-15-2015 04:14
Dang! Was that a tumbleweed I saw blowing through this site!?

Just got off the phone with ol Stan, and we got to reminiscing about how much we used to enjoy getting on the forum here and checking in. Like kids in a candy store, kinda.....you know......other welders with their own stories, tricks, and styles. Couldn't wait to see what the next guy said.

What the hell happened to the magic? It's like a modern day marriage in here......just kinda diminished after the first few years, then blam, nose dive!

Could it be that a lot of the interesting guys got run off, and what stood behind them were guys like the teachers at school that used to make you sleep the first 5 minutes you heard them speak...?

For the rest of you; I'm still alive and well. Two young boys now, damn near remarried, a house nearly paid off.

Cheers,
SOURDOUGH !!!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2015 04:42
Wow Sourdough, is that really you? I thought that maybe you'd fallen off the face of the earth or some of those extra-terrestrials had maybe absconded from the planet with you. I'm still hanging out in the Northwestern part of the states and yes it does seem as though the activity here has definitely slowed up a bit. Sounds like you're doing well and hope that continues for you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 01-15-2015 12:21
Some of the guys quit the forum when the  ESAB  logo showed up.  A few have dropped back in but some are still gone.

Griff
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-15-2015 12:27
Yeah I can remember a time on here when I couldn't wait to get home after a long hard day under the hood and see all my buddies on AWS and see what or who has  posted.  It used to be nothing to see 60-70 posts a day.  Now you can look in shop talk and can see posts on the first page that haven't been posted on in over a month. Welders Exchange I still have posts showing up on the first page dated back from July and that's pretty sad and that stupid thing that Keeps popping up at the bottom of my screen blocking that stupid Esab ad.  When I come to this site its like an old ghost town out of an ole Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.  I have met some pretty cool people here over the time and some in person IE Tommyjoking, Cactus, Superflux, and many more we keep in touch on the phone like Sourdough. But all I see here now is an old ghost town from a time past that was flourishing with information.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-15-2015 22:00
Hey Stan,

Have you had a chance to finish that new building yet? 

Or, have you been as busy as I have and no time for personal projects?

He Is In Control, Have A Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-18-2015 05:03
To be Honest I scraped that one in a long story short my business partner and I couldn't see eye to eye and in our prenup or lawyer agreements I got to keep all the equipment and he got to keep the building. Which I think I got the better end of the deal.  So with that said I went all out and sold my previous house and bought me a bigger house and property (with my own watershed) with a bigger shop on it 7 bays which 3 are enclosed and I still have all the tools to equip it. Although I have some work to get this shop in shape I am still way far ahead than my previous arrangement (were still friends) and I have sole ownership in what ever I do with my company. I have been busy inspecting down around Houston on Integrity digs for different pipelines.  But my motives and company are still moving forward but I am not quite where I thought I would be but that said I think I am still better off than where I was when I started this venture.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 06:00
That's a pretty awesome spread there hillbilly, like you said, probably a lot of work ahead of you, but with a purpose and a personal stake of your own. Have fun in the process and the best of luck. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-18-2015 07:07
Nice "Skeeter Breeder" you have there. Any bass or crappie in it?
Good luck with the Houston gig. Have fun "Chasing smart pigs."
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-18-2015 15:37
Hey John the next time you stop by you'll have to bring your rods and stay a few days .  The Bluegill are plentiful and the bass fishing is good.  But I am not much of a winter fisherman so I have broke out the shot gun and been hunting geese and ducks.  I shouldn't even really call it hunting as you can see in the picture.  I don't know how you could miss. That is a typical day on the water here so far during the winter.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-20-2015 13:06
Stan,
I would have to make that a bit more sporting and use a pellet rifle.
I used to use a .410 for pheasant, just can't let them get too far out.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2015 14:53
Well I found out the hard way that 2-3/4 high brass is no match for Geese.  The first time I went out I invited a friend along and all I had in the gun safe was 2-3/4" shell so that is what we used.  While that is enough to knock them down it doesn't put them out of there misery without multiple shots.  I have since gone to 3-1/2 inch shells.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2015 15:18 Edited 01-20-2015 19:10
Hello Stan, are you shooting at them incoming or outgoing? Oddly enough an incoming shot might require a different size lead(pellet size wise) at a higher velocity. The outgoing shots are better able to get up under their feathers and don't quite require the same load. Regardless, you have an awesome place and a wonderful view. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2015 20:25
That was on incoming I have never tried a going away shot.  I like a one shot one kill policy so the 3-1/2 shells with a full choke seems to do the trick.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2015 22:48
Yes, I would say that that sort of load and choke does provide a lot of knockdown power. What size shot? 2....4? Regards, Allan
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2015 23:28
Number 4 but I am not opposed to number 2 if you got hands on experience please let me know
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2015 23:56
Hello Stan, this is my take on it: with the #4 you've got more pellets in the air, and with the full choke you're concentrating them quite a bit so this gives you some pretty decent range. With the #2 you've got less pellets in the air yet more range and "theoretically" more knockdown power and with the full choke you've got these concentrated pretty well. If you're bringing them down with a #4 then stick with what's successful. But, if some of them are possibly getting away (even when you see some feathers floating), the #2 might be the correct way to remedy those losses. Just a thought. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-21-2015 00:17
Good info there Allan I haven't tried to shoot them out of the air as there is so many that come in but I might try me some #2's when I run out of what I got.  I was always brought up you only shoot what you plan to eat and that has always stuck with me.  If I try #2 3-1/2 shells I might try and take a few from 50ft up and see if I can take one out of mid air. As of now I wait till they desend and almost into the water before I take my shot.  That said I believe in good stewardship of your land and harvest what you need but not to treat it like a sportmans paradise. Thanks for the good info.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-21-2015 03:48
Hello again Stan, and to Sourdough, sorry for hijacking your thread, at least this about hunting and such though, right?

I should probably give you a little history: where I grew up I didn't have a dog to fetch birds out of the water so my friends and I mostly had to find them on land somewhere or flying to or from the land somewhere. Hence the majority of the shots were with the birds in flight. When they were flying towards you and you shot you could sometimes literally see the pellets bounce off of them. Then with the help of some seasoned old-timers they made the suggestion to wait til they were flying away from you, this allowed the pellets to make their way in from the open end of their feathers and to their bodies. Definitely increased the success rate. Now to the shot size, with this method in use the range of the shots was definitely out there a ways, magnum shells of the longest length that your shotgun was designed for, full-chokes, and #2 shot were the best way to ensure a kill. Had to be a bit more accurate with your shots, but at least if you got onto them they tended to go down.

I don't hunt anymore and haven't for quite some time, it's not that I am against it by any means and when I did I believed as you do. Kill what you shoot and eat what you kill. When I was hunting I shot and ate rabbits, quail, chukars, blue grouse, pheasants, drake mallard ducks, Canadian geese, 3 different species of deer (black tail, white tail, and mule deer), Rocky Mountain elk, and black bear. Shot coyotes too, but definitely didn't eat them. I am looking to get back to hunting coyotes and prairie dogs. They are considered nuisance animals around the state here so I don't feel too bad about killing them and not eating those. They will also challenge your abilities and your equipment.

One more little side note before I get off of memory lane. My dad always told me when we were pheasant hunting that if you head shot a pheasant that it would lock it's wings and glide even though it really was dead. On all of the occasions that I had one glide and then finally crash I found that it was indeed shot in the head. One other note on pheasants, if you shoot one through the heart it will make a steep climb almost straight up and then fold up and crumple and fall straight to the ground. I had this happen on a few occasions too and low and behold when I was cleaning the bird, I would find where a pellet or two had gone through it's heart. Not much useful information in this part of the story but just some interesting stuff that my dad shared with me while we were hunting together.   

Now I pretty much enjoy shooting for the challenge and the mechanics of it. I like to reload and develop loads. Most of the time anymore I stick with the small caliber weapons and avoid the heavy artillery. I do however, have a 300 Weatherby Magnum that I shoot on occasion that kind of fits the heavy artillery bill. It has a muzzle brake and some built-in recoil protection in the stock that it is fitted with though and helps me manage the recoil well. Have enjoyed the topics in this thread and wish you the best of luck on your business, hunting, and new home. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-21-2015 01:05
Stan,
You need a Long bbl.
Since you are like myself and adopt the "One Shot One Drop" philosophy, I recommend an old single shot H&R "Long Tom". It's a 36" break open and will drop pheasant with #6 shot at 90 yards as they glide back into the corn stubble. You can find them for real cheap since everyone thinks they need an auto with 10 shot tube and loaded with Breacher Rounds to fend off zombies.
As Alan said, given the choice fire on the out and not the incoming. Far more humane and more critters in the freezer.
Gooses are tough and need 3 things; long bbl, full choke, and the biggest/heaviest lead you can sling at them.
I remember many a cold morning in the 70's in Colorado laying on several layers of cardboard boxes covered with a white bed sheet, listening to the "laughing" (I always thought they sounded kinda like children laughing at distance).

If several goose are geese, then shouldn't 2 moose be meese???
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2015 21:32
John you been to my old house you will still be able to find me as I only moved a half mile from there I don't know how poles would ride on the bike but I am sure Vladd can figure it out. :grin:
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-29-2015 20:38 Edited 01-29-2015 21:07
Speaking of scatter guns.... well, OK maybe not the right choice for pheasant but they sure take the flies and such out clean. If you run Course Sea Salt through it instead of Table Salt you can take down some pretty good sized grasshoppers.

We will never use a flyswatter again while grilling out back and Mama can get those spiders way up in the corners. LOL

http://bugasalt.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oYl-Lm9a6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTVn6OhATaI

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2015 11:36
Well, I know what it is like to go through what I call 'The Death of a Vision'.  But, God is faithful and true and when it is His Will and not just our own it usually comes out far better in the end.  It appears that is the case for you and I am glad for you.

Keep up the good fight Stan.  Glad you are working but don't forget that vision and keep headed toward the goal.

Thanks for the update and pics.  Nice looking place.

I came past you, from about 35,000 ft,  LOL.  I'm in Mt Vernon, IL on a short gig doing inspections.  Took this weekend and drove on over to Orleans, IN to see my son and youngest granddaughter that I had not ever seen yet as my wife had to come alone when she was born because this grandpa was too busy working.  Getting to spend a couple days with the older grandkids too, boy do they grow up fast.  Didn't have time to drive it or I would have tried to find you, but sounds like you may not have been there.  Anyway, good luck and God Bless.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-20-2015 21:43
Brent I think sometime we or all of us here on the forum need to do a bi annual get together so we can meet each other in person.  I have been hosting my pipeline seminar for a year now and that being said only two times a year May this spring when I host my third one we can get all the boys together here in one place?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2015 10:55
Sounds like a good idea Stan.  I'd like to meet a good many of the members that would be interested in your teachings.  I'm long past pipe welding but sure would not mind a refresher course just to hone some old skills into what they probably never were because I was not correctly trained in the first place.  But, just to watch true experts work, see some newbies get some good training, and network with fellow forum members would be a great opportunity. 

You should try to set the date well in advance and start advertising it so those even remotely interested can put it on their calendar.  Maybe you have and I just haven't seen the date posted yet.  So, let's put it out there and start spreading the word.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2015 02:46
Nice spread!

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-15-2015 12:32
Nobody more interesting than you Sourdough :)

It's happy news to hear things are going so well for you.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-15-2015 22:35
I like getting knocked down, just so I can get up and smile a toothless grin. My own body can't even kill me yet.

Esab can kiss my brass ones....
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-16-2015 16:53
I can honestly say that I’ve never been knocked down in a fight.... ever.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't claim to be some bad a**.  I mean, I do have a few scars.  It’s mostly bruised knees and busted elbows when I fall repeatedly as I try to run away.  I don’t know what it is that makes people want to try and start a fight with me.  Just the other night I was sitting at the bar, minding my own business, when some guy evidently had a problem with my tipping.  He actually tried to tell me that I was tipping way too much, and he had the nerve to say it more than once.  He must have been really drunk because I only tip when I leave, and I was nowhere ready to go.  For once in my life I decided to finally stand up for myself, and I thought, If he says that one more time, it's on.  About that time, he looked over at me, and before he could say one word, all of a sudden I fell backwards off my bar stool and landed in the fish tank.  I must be having a bad week because a few days ago a guy actually called me a cheapskate, so I threw his drink in his face.  He threatened me, but you should have seen the look on his face when I pulled out my razor and I pointed it at him.  Lucky for him that I couldn’t find somewhere to plug it in.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-18-2015 16:26
Geez Scott, LOL!!!

I come to check in, make sure the place hasn't burned down, kinda like the caretaker then breeze on out. Have thought about some things to post but figured with the traffic this site is getting lately I'd be better off taking a sharpy and writing it on my basement wall. The mice and moon crickets would generate more traffic than the AWS forum lately.

I met one guy on here. One low down, dirty....oh wait, that's another site. Only met Tommy with hopes of running into others in my travels one day but never seem to be in the area where others are at. Don't guess I'll run into anybody from here in Key Largo either. Or maybe I'm just a big a-hole and people see me and avoid me??? Haha!!

The AWS site is like the bayou I just left in Louisiana, stagnant!

Esab ad? Where?? I don't even notice it anymore.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-19-2015 05:19
Shawn any time you pass through your always welcome here I know we have talked many a time on the phone bring a gun or a rod I got the beers and steak. Took this picture today.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-19-2015 09:19
Nice pics Stan!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-19-2015 11:59
Great pic Stan!

I get out that way I'll look you up. Supposed to have a guy that is overloaded with work out that way.
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-19-2015 02:19
I'm wearing panties.
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-19-2015 05:33
Lmao that is all I got to say about that one.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-19-2015 11:57
Reminds me of something I heard the other day by a comedian. He said when he got done with the show he was going to head back to the hotel room and rip his wife's panties off. "They're killing my balls" he says.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-19-2015 15:18
Sourdough,

Thanks for the visual.  I heard somewhere that Ebay sells panties, which more of a discreet purchase as opposed to going to Walmart.  Did you get yours on Ebay? If so, I just have two questions... (1) What kind of perverted man buys this stuff, and (2) How can I get a Paypal refund?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-21-2015 01:13
It's all just perception, Scott.
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 01-19-2015 16:28
:evil:
Attachment: PROFESSIONAL.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-21-2015 11:01
Hey Sourdough, some of us Fossilised Tumbleweeds are still blowin' around in here.
Good to hear you got things going your way.
I hope when I finish this gig I'll get to swing by your way and we'll go have a beer or twenty...
Keep the wind to your back and the shiny side up.
Later Pard.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-30-2015 14:50
The panties comment reminded me of one of my recent trips.

I was waiting for my luggage to show up on the belt in the Pittsburgh airport. It was evident someone's luggage broke open because there were several garments going around of the belt. I was making some small talk with a lady standing next to me.

As the panties came around the third time, the lady said, "Well at least if wasn't your luggage that broke open."

I said, "Actually I'm embossed to say they look like mine. I've been wearing thongs since my wife found a pair in my car."

She started laughing and said, "Right!"

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2015 15:34
No pictures please, too much information Al... :lol: :roll: 

BB
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Tumbleweed?