Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Most common type of hardness testing and where to find?
- - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 01-21-2015 16:15
I've been tasked with the job of finding hardness values for a bunch of different materials but im not sure which ASTM book has hardness values for different materials(mostly steel). Also what is the industry standard for Hardness values (Rockwell B, Rockwell C, Vickers, Brinell, Knoop).

Im assuming it depends on the company's preferred testing method.

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated :grin:
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-21-2015 17:29
This may be helpful.  It's from the AWS educators library...

Practical Hardness Testing Made Simple

http://www.aws.org/educators/Library/0000/000587.pdf
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-21-2015 17:33
ASM Metals Handbook Vol 6 has plenty of good data and is probably available in your library.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 01-21-2015 17:48 Edited 01-21-2015 17:59
Lawrence is correct
even though our good friend Henry
will bring a wall of text and makes us look uneducated::wink::cool:
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-21-2015 21:33
I resent that remark!:wink::wink::wink:

Actually I'm trying NOT to make myself look unedumacated I'll have you know Kent! After all, It's not easy being me.:eek::lol::yell::yell::yell::twisted::yell::lol::yell::lol::grin::grin::roll::smile::wink: I gotta keep my reputation of being an enigma which isn't simple to do these days.:smile::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
- By goldybowen21 (**) Date 01-21-2015 23:22
thanks for the read but I found what I was looking for in ASTM Section 1 Volume 1.04, they only tell you Brinell Hardness and Rockwell B so that's what im going with :grin:
- - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 01-21-2015 23:25
If anyone is ever looking in ASTM and having trouble finding something try searching it in ASMT INTERNATIONAL online they tell you what section and volume of the code it is hiding in, Not that ASTM has a bad layout or anything :twisted::lol::grin:

http://www.astm.org/
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-22-2015 11:28
Great tip goldy!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-22-2015 18:29
In order to have FULL access to everything that you can find, or are looking for related to testing methods, metals, welding QC, etc., you must become a member of ASTM first... And even then you still have to purchase some or all of their books in order to go in depth while looking for the topic of interest at any given time... So, if money is no object, then go right ahead and join, or better yet, call them up to find out more details regarding your presumptions of what you're able to have complete access to and they will steer you in the right direction...

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Most common type of hardness testing and where to find?