Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / New amazing metal? is so hydrophobic it makes water bounce!
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-21-2015 22:25
Laser-generated surface structures create extremely water-repellent metals
January 20, 2015  University of Rochester - "Meliora"

Super-hydrophobic properties could lead to applications in solar panels, sanitation and as rust-free metals

Scientists at the University of Rochester have used lasers to transform metals into extremely water repellent, or super-hydrophobic, materials without the need for temporary coatings.

Super-hydrophobic materials are desirable for a number of applications such as rust prevention, anti-icing, or even in sanitation uses. However, as Rochester’s Chunlei Guo explains, most current hydrophobic materials rely on chemical coatings.

In a paper published today in the Journal of Applied Physics, Guo and his colleague at the University’s Institute of Optics, Anatoliy Vorobyev, describe a powerful and precise laser-patterning technique that creates an intricate pattern of micro- and nanoscale structures to give the metals their new properties. This work builds on earlier research by the team in which they used a similar laser-patterning technique that turned metals black. Guo states that using this technique they can create multifunctional surfaces that are not only super-hydrophobic but also highly-absorbent optically.

Guo adds that one of the big advantages of his team’s process is that “the structures created by our laser on the metals are intrinsically part of the material surface.” That means they won’t rub off. And it is these patterns that make the metals repel water.

“The material is so strongly water-repellent, the water actually gets bounced off. Then it lands on the surface again, gets bounced off again, and then it will just roll off from the surface,” said Guo, professor of optics in the University’s Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. That whole process takes less than a second.

The materials Guo has created are much more slippery than Teflon—a common hydrophobic material that often coats nonstick frying pans. Unlike Guo’s laser-treated metals, the Teflon kitchen tools are not super-hydrophobic. The difference is that to make water to roll-off a Teflon coated material, you need to tilt the surface to nearly a 70-degree angle before the water begins to slide off. You can make water roll off Guo’s metals by tilting them less than five degrees.

Here's the link to the web page:    http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/superhydrophobic-metals-85592/

So, the question is this... Are these new metals, or are they really just a new method of metal surfacing engineering/Coatings technology developed in order to alter a characteristic that can be found in most metals? And can this same type of surface treatment be applied to other materials besides metal - like concrete, papers, fabrics, painted surfaces etc.?

I guess we'll all have to wait and find out how universal this really is with respect to Materials Science in general and uncommon applications. Very interesting nonetheless.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-22-2015 11:42
Wow,
lots of potential there. Thanks Henry
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 01-22-2015 15:46
Henry,
my very good friend
interesting stuff
but as far as welding goes on this, and do not know how this coating is
but welding PT and TI is a b*tch
I know lawrence could do it
but everyone else, good luck
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2015 17:49
I'm thinking about how well it would fry an egg...... I'm hungry.

Welding would wreck the treated surface without question... 

The video was extra cool.

I wonder the cost is to treat a square foot of metal.

I wonder how resistant to abrasion the surfaces are with various base metals.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-22-2015 19:02
Well, I am glad the you enjoyed viewing this Lawrence... Once all of the research and development is completed, the next step would be to bring down the costs enough to make it a commercially viable application, and I don't believe they're quite @ that point in development yet... They are however, already starting to use this method of surface treatment in DARPA projects and space exploration R & D projects also.... The toilets will still have to wait a bit before they come out.:eek::lol::yell::yell::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::yell::yell::lol::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Question #2 I think is still yet to be determined, yet interesting enough to find out IMHO... Only time will tell soon enough.:wink:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 01-23-2015 19:25
Thanks!
That is NEAT!
I'm going to pass that video along.
Ohh the possibilities.
Joel
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2015 18:01
This great. No more preheating to drive the moisture out of the steel! It is so water proof, it will not absorb water like the old stuff!

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / New amazing metal? is so hydrophobic it makes water bounce!