Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Bungle in Da Jungle
- - By Superflux (****) Date 01-23-2015 00:45 Edited 01-23-2015 00:55
So, my quest to traverse Planet Earth AND make someone else pay for it is still working.
This decision came to mind about 6 years ago and took 2 years to get the ball rolling. Sent out hundreds if not a thousand or more emails, therefore this all did not come sans great effort and expense on my part. Spent zillions of my own money for NDE certs and other training/certs.
Now 6 years later, over 200,000 air miles (paid for by big oil and the US Dept of Defense) I've managed to have my passport stamped in over 20 countries, worked in 4 countries, and now a US territory. I have travelled all my life and an interesting side note is the this is my 2nd US territory to visit. The first was Hawaii back in 1959 2 months before it became a state.
Now I am in Guam on a 17 mile pipeline with a 4 day work week (I would rather have some overtime, but looks like that aint a gonna happen) living in what some would consider an enviable environment.
In a way to me it is only "Just Another Job". I truly wish I could find a TPI job back in Wyoming. The winters aren't that bad these days with global warming and such. But the Fates obviously have other plans.

Just another day on the Right of Way.
The Grey Ghost B52 got a tour of the jungle in the last typhoon back in '92?. It was AWOL for 21 years until they started clearing for a new perimeter roadway.

Well it's time to suffer some fruit via the toils of my labor and go find that hidden nude beach... yeah, I know... Sux 2 b me.
Attachment: Bnglndajngl.-2.JPG (111k)
Attachment: Bnglndajngl-1..JPG (119k)
Attachment: Bnglndajngl-2.JPG (115k)
Attachment: B52-1.JPG (121k)
Attachment: B52-3.JPG (123k)
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-23-2015 12:28
I hear ya John.  What I hate the most about nude beaches is that they all pretend that nudism is normal. If nudism is so normal, then why am I still barred from Disneyland? I actually grew up in what they called a “naturist camp”, so I guess it’s sort of in my blood.  I don't know what I hated more as a child.  Growing up in that type of environment or playing twister with my parents.  Over the years I’ve tried to back off and stay away from those types of places.  The last time I was on a nude beach, it was with my wife.  I remember having second thoughts about it as we walked towards the beach.  Then I suddenly stopped on a hill that overlooked the beach and I told my wife that I was feeling really nervous.  She reassured me that I’d be fine as long as I didn’t look down.  The main problem I have always had with nude beaches is that there are a lot of perverts hiding in the bushes.  The last time I was there, I must have counted at least five with my binoculars.  I couldn’t stand being around all those perverts, so I came up with a better idea and I’ve been getting some really great views from my window.  The hardest part is getting my car on the beach.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-24-2015 03:18
Take a step back and take a deeeeep breath and savor that job !!!!!!!! It's been my experience that I don't really enjoy my time on a "dream " job till it's done and over with .......It's only when their over and done with that I think " damn that was enjoyable/ awesome work!!!!!!!! Nice pictures keepem' com in' dude and ENJOY.....:cool:
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-24-2015 22:59
I've always loved a stroll thru a bambu grove. A gentle breeze will make them clack in an unsynchopated rhythm.
So I am travelling down this narrow canyon trail thru the jungle. The road I assume ends here...
Attachment: Keepout.JPG (272k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-24-2015 23:27
Lagoons.

The beaches and jungles are filled with military relics from the Japanese occupation during the 1940's.
This set of deep lagoons is "protected" by an old (skanky) Pill Box.
Attachment: Lagoon.JPG (140k)
Attachment: Lagoon3.JPG (168k)
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-29-2015 21:05
and the girl in the light blue bikini:cool:...........your interpreter?  :evil:
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-29-2015 23:31
Wow Robert, them's good eyes of yours there. I had to scan through those pics a couple of times to see what you were referring to! Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-30-2015 00:56
No interpreter required.
English is spoken by all except a few of the Asian tourists, and many of them speak some english.
I have found that most of the world now days (thanks to the use of the internet) speaks some basic english.
France being the exception. Yes, the French do speak english... just not to you!
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-30-2015 15:17
Oh I figured you'd better working the interpreter angle regardless of the native tongue...:wink::wink::wink:

Through your travels many of us state-bound souls vicariously experience the exotic foods, unsual landscapes, and indigenous people of distant lands. 

Keep them coming my tiger tail biting friend,
Robert
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-30-2015 15:44
Yes Robert, I resemble those remarks too. There are lots of us on the forum, I'd venture to guess, that are happy to live out these worldly travels through John and others. I'm pretty much bound to stateside and local most of the time so I enjoy the stories and pics. So how's the health these days Robert, I hope that all is well and you're moving along nicely on the mending end of things, any bike riding in the future? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-30-2015 16:31
Robert,

It has almost become a curse nowadays. I wish I could find a job in Wyoming. I kinda want to settle down now, but the expat machine keeps rolling and wont stop. I took this gig over a long term gig in Corvalis, OR and am not 100% behind that decision now. Issue being is I was told it was a 6 month gig. 17 mile pipeline right? At 40' joints that comes out to 2244 welds. Problem is that they are only averaging 7 welds a day on a 4 day work week which translates into a YEAR and a half. They fibbed to me to get me over here. It is 10" pipe but with GTAW root/hot pass. The only thing cheap here is pork. Gas is still $3.57/gal. BUT beer is $3 clams a bottle in the local yokel bars, as long as you don't go to the Bistro district/hotel row.

Hows this for exotic cuisine?
Attachment: Fliedbugs.jpg (113k)
Attachment: Fliedbugshrnk.jpg (105k)
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-30-2015 18:30
Corvalis?  That's only 47 miles north of me.  Home of Oregon State U.... beautiful campus.  One hour from coast and one hour to 5,000 ft for hiking or skiing.  We could go biking introduce you to some good people and "interpreters"...:wink:

Have an QA Manager opening with our company plant near Shreveport, LA if interested can send PM.

Robert
Attachment: RobtJoanne1-1-13ride.jpg (945k)
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-30-2015 15:03
Lot of things not working well these days (used too much when new) but the eyes are still sharp when it comes to spotting a pretty flower. :evil:

Robert
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-30-2015 15:16
10-4
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Bungle in Da Jungle