Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is the typical / standard API1104 downhill.....
- - By Josephp (**) Date 01-24-2015 17:55
What is the typical / standard bevel angle, land and gap size for 12" pipe sch 40 butt joint under API 1104 downhill, open root using 5/32"{4mm] 6010 for root and hot pass, 3/16"{4.8] 7010 filler and cap?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-25-2015 18:38 Edited 01-25-2015 18:44
Sorry Jo,

Thought I was posting on the bulletin!

60* bevel. Land is what you're comfortable with. 3/32" is normal, but you can play with you're heat and come up with whatever the inspectors like.......the process isn't always the same in every situation.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-01-2015 13:50
Josephp,

TYPICALLY... I believe factory ends come with a 37-1/2° bevel.
We (me and many others) used to call for it to be a Nickel gap and Nickel land (was the factory profile).
As my comfort level grew, I tightened up the gap to a piece of 1" wide banding metal for a spacer. Heat setting was such that my rod stub would usually burst into flames at about 2" in length.
There is usually enough "Slop" (Tolerances) allowed in the WPS to use what ever gap and land you feel most comfortable with. That being said, I did the math and figured the tighter the gap meant less metal to have to deposit in the joint. So now you don't have to work as hard to keep up.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2015 18:23
Hello John, maybe slightly off-topic but really not. Why do we often see the included angle on structural CJP welds at 45 degrees? It's all about the time to complete the joint and not have excessive issues with slag-entrapment, lack-of-fusion, undercut, and other problematic issues. Process application can be considered in the same manner. You could say that GTAW all the way out on a pipe has the ability to provide for less issues of failure and rework when performed by a qualified welder. Yet, you'd go broke using that logic on about 95% of pipe work being done. OK, done with the side-track, but completely agree with the comments from your post. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-25-2015 18:37
I see that aws has succeeded in driving the wage and reputation of welders down to the lowest level it has ever been. Just got off craigslist, and saw wages as low as twelve dollars an hour for "EXPERIENCED WELDERS".

Typically, when I'm bored, I have to reply to these ads and let them know the bottom feeding scum that they are for promoting hacks to join our trade.

Aws has facilitated this, by becoming a super greedy outfit, and selling out in the name of the almighty dollar...

Shame, shame, shame, AWS!  Take that money from certs, seminars, tests, and literates/products, etc.....and do your part to restore our reputation as craftsmen, and in turn drive the wages back up!!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-25-2015 18:48
I guess this didn't end up in the right place, but I'll just leave it right here to see how many of the typical hot air balloons show up to grace me with their foremost authoritarian answers to my "delusions" .....
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-28-2015 15:24
The only area of your concern that I don't adhere to Sourdough is blaming the AWS.  Now, if all you want is more action from them to try to get wages up to a reasonable rate for welders then I understand and yet that is not really their job.  All of these low wages are a result of a market that is not as short on wanna be welders as it is short on true craftsmen.

I believe AWS is doing a pretty fair job of improving the educational opportunities, available resources, and educator training in order to help those who desire good wages to improve themselves and be able to get good jobs.  But we have way too many shade tree welders who learned on their own and don't really understand the concepts and will jump at any opportunity to get a job that pays the bills.  (nothing against those who learn on their own and truly go for it and learn all they can, there are many of us in that boat.  I mean those who learn to pull the trigger and get a steady arc, but not bead, and then call themselves welders)

And, for the most part, you can't blame them.  They have families to feed just like we do.  BUT, as long as there are those out there, in all occupations/trades, who will take these cheap paying jobs then more and more employers are saying 'why should I pay more when I can get these guys'.  And, our market stays down and it will do so until the economy improves enough that there is a demand for quality instead of quantity, both in the employee and the product.

Welders, inspectors, educators, we are all seeing it.  Too many available with years of experience but no true skills.  And they are jumping at these jobs thus keeping the market down.  We are all frustrated with the results but you can't truly place blame on an organization whose mission is to advance the science and technology of welding, not, establish wages, benefits, and assure everyone who wants a job can have a job.

We must instill confidence in the people trying to get jobs in all trades so they don't have to and won't take these cheap jobs.  If no one took them, the employers would have to offer more money to get anyone. 

My purpose in responding was not to tell you that you are delusional.  It is also not to defend the AWS.  It is to broaden our view of what is happening and place the blame where it belongs, on those who take these jobs.  They are the ones we need to go to with compassion and facts and educate on why they can't make ends meet even though they are working their hearts out.  Without getting into a union vs non-union debate, it is a similar situation to what originally brought about our labor unions.  That is how wages and working conditions came to the forefront and got the needed attention and got legal support for improvement.  Unions helped bring us where we are but it will take education to keep us there.  And that is what AWS is heavily involved in.  Look to their involvement in Skills USA, Educator Institutes, Teaching materials, student chapters, and so much more. 

I can't remember your name at the moment so I'll just go with your handle here, Sourdough,(just looked it up, Hi Clay) I think our plight revolves around education, training, and early skills development.  When people have the confidence that they can get better jobs, they will hold out for more pay.  Or, at least only use these jobs as stepping stone in order to get some experience to add to the education already attained.  And we know how hard that can be.  We hear it all the time.  'I finished school but no one will hire me because I don't have any experience.  How can I get experience unless you hire me?'  Well, that's where these jobs come from.

But, even here in AZ, with a right to work state and other factors that cause a lot of low paying jobs to be prevalent, that is a starting point to see what a person can do and they go up from there.   Most make $15-25/ hour.  Some more.  And benefits.  Field work is more.  And we are not talking pipelines and other more skilled, higher paying areas of the trade.  We are talking non-union shops. 

But, as your main objective was to cast stones at the AWS, I disagree with the target while I agree strongly with the desired results. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-30-2015 02:10
welderbrent....... Hit the main problem right on the head in your 1st paragraph !!! ALOT of wanna-welds self taught or tech/school.....most "students" are pumped full of B.S. about big money as soon as they get out of school !!!!!!!!!  Most don't put in / get enough "arc time" and it shows up IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!! The easy way out is learn to MIG weld and boom !!!! Their " WELDORS", unfortunately it ain't a high skill process and you are 1 of a million guys being pumped out of schools or backyards...... Just hired a kid out of welding school as an apprentice and he don't know SHEET !!!!!! Tried to weld jig angles on to my layout table ( steel) with my aluminum wire feed set/up !!!!!!! And he's been here about 9 months!!!!!!! Some guys just aren't ever going to be craftsman , no desire/ambition just want to put in " TIME" and get a check!!!!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2015 15:04
Bob,

I think one needs to be careful with the full interpretation of your charge against MIG weldors.  While I can agree to a large extent the use of GMAW and knowledge of the various transfer modes and when, where, why, and how to use each one makes this process just as much of an art to accomplish competently as any of the others. 

Sure, I can literally teach a monkey to pull the trigger and stike an arc, and even get some pretty low skilled people "qualified" using this process that wouldn't stand a chance of qualifying in another process.  But that doesn't mean that everyone who uses this process and no other is totally unskilled.  Many weldors go through their entire career using only one process.  But lots of them are very good with that one process.

I have used a guy for years who GTAW welds very well on alum, carbon, and even SS.  But don't ask him to GMAW weld and especially not SMAW. 

Anyway, thanks for your response. 

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-04-2015 14:41
If the "apprentice" has been under your watch for 9 months and is welding steel to aluminum; what does that say about your mentoring of apprentices?

The 9 months under your guidance has provided a minimum of 1,440 hours of time... Far more time than the welding school had with him :)

Are you on the advisory committee for your local welding school?    You have been posting here for years and it's clear that you are very expert.

Businesses need to drive the schools... And believe me when a couple of businesses make demands of an advisory committee, they get what they want.

If the apprentice sucks, cut loose and get another.

There you go.. a post from the #2 blowhard  :)
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-04-2015 01:35 Edited 02-12-2015 16:27
snip....
Parent - - By litchko (*) Date 01-28-2015 01:03
Ya, I see the same thing on craigs list and the local news paper.Must have 5yrs. experience,have nec. tools must be able to operate a brake and other equipment be able to speak some Spanish and must be able to read blue prints.What a bunch of bull crap.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2015 16:52
Hahaha!! "must be able to speak Spanish"???

Not in this lifetime!! I might even know a little, but will never let on that I do
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 02-05-2015 22:13
In all the time you have spent on here.......you have been bitter, argumentative, and yes delusional.  Apparently you are bored again.......if it's so bad: why waste your time and bandwidth to post ANYTHING??
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-09-2015 15:30 Edited 02-09-2015 15:32
Delusional, no.
Administering truth, yes.

Bored, no.
Of adequate intelligence, yes.

Just wait until you have plenty of practical, hands on knowledge to post. The know it all blowhards here will disagree with all that you have to say, just so they can sit back in there chair and admire their 16 paragraphs of rebuttal.

After they do that to you, (and all the other regulars/real welders), you will understand why I come here to see if they are still plucking away on the keyboard, just to marvel at their own punctuation.

Besides, who are you to get all defensive......unless you aspire to be a good little welder boy under their thumb?
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2015 15:06
You know, I am extremely sorry for being part of totally hijacking this thread.  I should not have gotten involved in a post that was purposely left in the wrong place. 

My sincerest apologies Joe.

Now, would someone please answer this man's question. 

Parent - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-01-2015 01:39
I feel the need to add to this conversation. First, I agree that it is not AWS' fault employers are paying what you feel are low wages. I believe they do in fact do a good job at promoting welding and related skills. Keep in mind they are a standard that we weld to, not a job placement service. Holding a AWS cert does not guarantee a $100K a year job.

On the subject of "low paying" jobs. While a $12hr job might be low to you and you and I might not be able to pay our current bills at this rate there are plenty of welders, doth experienced and not, that need those jobs. I feel it is wrong to put down jobs we would not want to work because of pay. Should they pay more?  Well, look at it from both sides of the fence. I cannot afford to pay my help $35hr when I only bring in a small amount a year. There are small shops that might have 10 guys and they do good to provide a small income for their employees let alone pay them six figures. On the other hand, we do have a skill that some or most cannot master. I think we all feel underpaid at times, I do for sure. How can you write in to these jobs telling them how stupid they are for not paying better? To me that shows your character. Just saying. What would be funny is the day you need a job and apply at one of these places you so kindly wrote your opinion to. Do you think they would hire you?

I always advise, if you don't like what they pay simply don't apply. There are good paying jobs out there. Some require travel. Some large sacrifices that most (including me) will not do. Some you just need to search for. I believe in the saying that good things come to those who wait. Of course, I am not always that patient.:grin:

To answer the OP's question, I only know a little about API 1104 but I would have to think the gaps and amperages would be determined by the WPS.
-Jonathan
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-01-2015 02:48
yes I agree!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-04-2015 01:39 Edited 02-12-2015 16:26
snip...no need for all of that
- - By Paladin (***) Date 02-01-2015 01:42
Yes, an impressive hijack.

The procedure I weld to states:

Bevel (each side) 30 degrees,  +5 - 0 degrees

Root opening "approximately 1/16" 
      This is for 1/8 or 5/32 size electrodes (6010)
      For 5/32 I would want the tacked up ready to weld gap to be "approximately" a little larger than 1/16

Land 1/16 + - 1/32
      I prefer it on the plus side

Floyd
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-01-2015 03:48
About how much current would you run with that fit up with a 1/8 rod?
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 02-01-2015 04:01
I would start at 90 to 93 amps on my Pipe Pro 304 with 200 ft of lead, most still wound up on the reels.
I've had an inspector say his clamp meter read a little higher than my machine meter showed.

Floyd
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-02-2015 00:26
My 200D w/ 200' of + and 100' of - runs at 100 amps on 1/8" 5 P+.....
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-02-2015 15:22
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2015 20:51
For the original post,

I'm around 3/32 land and gap. 30 degree bevel. 1/8" 5P+ around 95-100 amps. Standard on my wps is 90-110. Land and gap I guess I ignore as every time the coupons are tensiled, bent and nicked they pass with flying colors. Steel breaks around 78-82ksi weld is unaffected.

Welder pay on Craigslist.

Craigslist is comparable to sleezebay in my opinion. Anything I have sold or people I have talked to on there about work left me thinking I'd be better off going to Walmart as a greeter, hand out smiley stickers to kids at the door.

Welder pay. An issue that I have heard about as long as I have been on this site, nearly 8 years I believe. Factors behind the cost, who knows. Could be half witted, unskilled welders who's best weld on their best day is still comparable to a dirt dobber on the end of a stick. In the industry I'm currently working in I've had many CWI's during conversations say the weld quality they are seeing is deteriorating, getting worse. Probably due to the rate of pay most companies are willing to fork out for a welder, location could be a factor in my particular field as well.

Overall though what is required of us, smaw, fcaw, gmaw, gtaw, stainless, aluminum, Inconel, etc., etc., $12/hour is cheap. Depends on what they are doing though I suppose. In a factory pulling a trigger, welding the same part together everyday or various parts, $12/hour, guess it's alright but when you consider other jobs, forklift operator in the same factory probably making the same $12/hour. Field welding, fabricators that to me would be another ball game. A welder would have to have more knowledge on prints, setting up machines, techniques and more. $12/hour sounds like highway robbery.

AWS to blame?? I don't know. Don't get involved in it to much, what I mean is I don't think about it. Don't want to be an employee and when it comes to being an employee I am a very bad one in the sense that I am to independent among other things. I will bust my tail, stay late, work extremely hard but other factors get in the way. Perhaps it's my personality.

I can't see how AWS could be to blame for low wages, maybe they are but I don't have any facts currently to prove otherwise. Welding schools or "welder factories" might be more to blame, flooding the market with low qualified, incompetent and unskilled "weldors" that will work for peanuts. If they suck horribly bad then fire him and maybe you'll find another rod burner that don't suck nearly as bad and will work for the same peanuts. I have seen lots of things going around the web, one guy got his college degree, says something like I have my BA and going to work for $30k per year and the other guy says something along the lines of I'm going to tech school to be a welder, starting wage $50k/year. None of the jobs I've seen around here local will be getting you $50k/year, maybe if you factor in gobs and gobs of overtime but I've always learned you can't base your income off of your OT so it shouldn't qualify for a welders "income". Base numbers should only apply.

That's just my thoughts though.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-03-2015 13:06
Seems to be a bit too much talk about the bottom 10%, according to these stats!

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes514121.htm
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-04-2015 01:48 Edited 02-04-2015 01:58
Hey Shawn, good to see you've become a respectable entity on this site. They need one of those here.

Aws advertises the crap out of their services, but once they get the money.....that's it.

"Next"

That's all aws does. All the lustrous ads, and here they come running. Cash exchanges hands, and there goes the "welder", into a life with no advancement. It's all they know. They have no pride, and they feel like they're stuck, because of "all the money" they spent on welding school. They stay right there.

This is becoming the industry standard. It really, really is. Everyone can be a welder, not just the ones who excel at it....the ones who deserve to represent the industry. I don't care what you guys say. The AWS is a sell out, just like almost every multi billion dollar company.

It's happened, and it ain't about to change.......get used to it.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-04-2015 02:01 Edited 02-12-2015 16:28
snip.......
Parent - - By Superiorwelding (*) Date 02-04-2015 13:17
Sourdough,
What's your problem? I am not one that would encourage a "fight" but you seem to want to continue to get your point across on a forum that I find to be full of great technical information. You and I are entitled to our opinions but that does not necessarily mean we need to share them here.
-Jonathan
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-04-2015 14:08
I've been on this forum a long time. I see it for what it is. You will too, sooner or later.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-04-2015 14:41
Like they say Sourdough, money is the root of all evil. You have a point with the welders, turning "anybody" into a welder even if they don't excel at it. Not everybody can lay down good beads. I've always said the career chooses you, not the other way around. Have welded next to many guys that say they are welders and I hate to even be on the same site as them let alone have my welds being inspected with theirs. CWI says, "whoah???!!!" I say, not mine....mine look the same without the dog knots and boogers.

Stick to our guns, do good quality work no matter what. If the good ones are to expensive and they flood the market with lack luster talent and the infrastructure starts to fail due to unskilled, low budget hands then f**k em' and feed them oats. Not my problem.......unless it's a bridge I'm driving over......under.....plane I'm flying.....lol!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is the typical / standard API1104 downhill.....