Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 2015 D1.1 Code Book
- - By browland (*) Date 02-05-2015 12:21
Does anyone know when or if there is going to be a 2015 D1.1 printed? I thought that AWS was getting on a 5 year re-issue with D1.1. Reason I am asking is I am working with a 2008 edition that is all to pieces, literally, and want to get a new code book but I would like to wait until the 2015 comes out if there is going to be one. The 2008 edition seemed to fall apart, the pages are coming loose constantly!

Thanks,
Big Bob
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2015 14:21
Good morning Bob.

Well, check out the thread down just a couple from your new one, '2015 codes'.  All your answers are there.

But, the short of it is, yes, a 2015 is coming out but won't be available until about October, as is normal for the year of release. 

On a side note, wow, my 2006, 2008, and 2010 are still all in use and holding up pretty good.  But, maybe you just use it that much.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By browland (*) Date 02-06-2015 12:05
Thanks Brent. Almost from the day I got 2008 D1.1 the pages started coming loose. It was like the glue used to bind the pages didn't adhere. I have 2007 D1.6 and use it regularly  and it is as good as new except for a little shop dirt! Same with my D1.2. it has held up very good.

I think I will hold out until October for the new edition.

Bob
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-06-2015 15:16
I've heard a few others say the same thing about the 2008, I just got blessed with a rare good one I guess.  I also go out of my way to properly break them as you would any new book.  Seems to make a difference.

Best Wishes on a new copy that is in better condition.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2015 16:34
Remember one point; just because AWS publishes a new edition of the structural welding code, don't assume everyone or every job requires it to be used. It usually takes a few years before the new edition actually finds it's way to the drawing board.

Always check the project specifications or the drawing notes to see which edition of the welding code applies. If you do not find a reference to a specific welding code, ask the Engineer. Rather than making you look silly, it actually makes you look smart because you asked a very important question. It isn't unusual to discover the fabricator or the inspector using the wrong edition of the code.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 02-11-2015 00:55
I just today had to remind an EOR that he could supersede any welding code he deemed necessary,  he had an "oh yea" moment.   One RFI and simple doccuement saved me thousands of dollars changing CJP's to Partial Pen's.     Thank god for a good detailer and a flexible EOR.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-11-2015 14:43
Over the years, I've also seen approvals such as this that significantly reduce fabrication labor.  My experience has been that this mostly occurs between the fabricator and the EOR and is made during the bidding process, to help reduce the cost of the job for the owner and to make us more competitive with our bid.  It also helps us put more work through the shop on any given week because of the amount of labor that we've reduced through RFI's during the bidding process.  Though, it's much better anytime it can be done after the project is awarded, which increases the profit margin, unless the owner gets wind of it and asks for some money back, which I've actually experienced.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 02-12-2015 03:28
thats when the owner gets a resounding no.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 2015 D1.1 Code Book