Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / eye flash burns
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-20-2015 15:00
going to try this here
might need to go another place:wink:( hi John:smile:)
I was told as a kid use raw mashed up potatoes in a wet paper towel
overnight to cure the burning
anything new?
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-20-2015 15:25
Looks like good thread placement to me Kent.

The old potato trick may help with the after effects but the main problem is the lack of protection to start with. Even clear safety glasses help with a quick flash or two.
The "sand in the eye" feeling is not a pleasant one....BTDT along time ago. As a kid learning to strike off a 7018 I couldn't get it through my thick skull that when the rod stuck, I shouldn't lift my shield when wiggling/breaking the rod a loose from the material.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-20-2015 15:46
Hello Kent,

Always a pertinent topic of discussion especially in the safety section.

Have not heard of anything in particular that has been developed that will help any better to relieve the after effects.

As John stated, since we are talking about being safe, protecting our whole body and especially in this case our eyes so we don't have to quit welding because we were foolish and 'tough' then the idea is safety before the problem.

Again true from John, even clear safety glasses refract much of the harmful rays so that the 'flash' does not occur.  The newer wrap around glasses are really good to protect from arcs from other welders to the side and even slightly behind the direction you are facing. 

One should do a regular check of hood, weld lens, and seal around lens to make sure no arc rays are getting through. 

Other workers in the area should have safety glasses and a full face shield with at least a mild tinting.  I generally try to get the lenses in a low cutting rating like a 3.  Yes, full face shields can be bought with burn ratings.  Makes good protection for grinders and other helpers.  If the shop is bright enough or the work is outside it helps act as 'sun glasses' for other brightness that would cause squinting and sore eyes as well.

When outside in bright sun I have even worn shade 3 safety glasses and then turn the auto hood shade down a little to compensate while welding.  Don't have to keep changing glasses that way, works for all situations.  The more they are on the face the less likely you are to get flashed.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-20-2015 19:27
Good wrap-around Z87 safety glasses are 99.9 UV protection.

Each layer of weld lens and cover lens are 99.9 UV protection.

Anybody with an eye burn is not wearing proper PPE.

It's important to have a good tight fit on the side shields so that reflected flash from behind is eliminated.

Welding since 1983... Zero flash burns
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-20-2015 19:56
Let me add to this myth, if your wearing safety glasses you will not get arc eye, use of any organic stuff is suspect, in the UK I go to the hospial A&E straight away now,, Novocane drops cure it instancely! You end up with a sticky eye next morning, BTW, I have always had 20/20 vision, last year I noticed my eyesite was failing, I have dropped two recipt perscriptions in a year thru my eyes so becareful out there!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-21-2015 00:24
I have worn safety glasses (prescription) my entire life. I have never had the "sand in the eye" feeling. I have had them feel a little irritated.

I think UV protection on my glasses has been a major factor in this fact. I have had my cheeks and forehead turn slightly pink but my eyes be fine and still white.

So I too agree that the proper eye protection can eliminate this hazard. Worked side by side on waterwall panel welds with never a burnt eye.

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-21-2015 02:38
Lar
Welding since 1983.
I finally got one
I started in welding in 1970 something
not as good you, but done it longer:eek:
I am so old:eek:
points to people
Lar 1 million:cool::wink:
Kent 1:wink::smile:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-21-2015 00:11
thank you my friends
this was welding related, but not
one of the kids dumb friends
works at a yogurt plant
welders were fixing a pipe
they thought oooooooooooooohhhhhhh look at the pretty light:eek:
so they had NO knowledge of welding safety:eek:
so gave the potato trick to help
but thought I would check on new stuff
thank you again my friends:cool::smile:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-21-2015 20:01
Tetracaine drops are by far the best thing I've found.  A couple drops in each eye is all it takes.  It burns for a few seconds and then you feel absolutely no pain.  It's a topical anesthetic that's made for preventing/feeling pain in your eyes before a surgery, a test, or a procedure.  It works by blocking the pain signals at the nerve endings in your eyes.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 02-21-2015 20:35
LOL!
Did you pulverise the drops prior to application?
Sir, you're awesome.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-21-2015 20:39
No, and I don't understand your question.  They come in a bottle similar to Visine and you get them at the drug store.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 02-21-2015 20:44
To be honest.
After reconsideration I do not understand my question either.
Hence, please accept my apologies.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-21-2015 20:58
It's ok.  No apology necessary, except for the one that I owe my wife.  She left me because she said that I spend way too much time on my computer.  I'm going to email her and tell her I'm sorry.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 02-21-2015 21:08
As I say.
You're awesome.
And definitely no reconsideration needed on that. : )
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 02-22-2015 13:58
Scott,
just to finish this.
Unfamiliar with it I was actually associating "Tetracaine drops" with something similar to:
http://www.candywarehouse.com/products/sour-lemon-drops-candy-5lb-bag
I must have suffered something like a 'Freudian wrong connection'.
Sorry again for unintentionally degrading your serious and valuable medical advice.
Parent - By RalphieIshmael Date 10-10-2018 02:44
I have been told that the old potato trick does not work. You are better off going to the hospital and getting some medicine prescribed than trying that method.
- - By t_rod7018 (*) Date 06-08-2015 12:43
Hey all, hopping on this post now... How long does flash burn last or take to kick in?  I have a brand new Arc One hood, my welding supplier said it was a fantastic auto-darkening hood, I had never heard of them until he suggested it.  I used a few times, and got flashed, so I went back to my basic school, gotta-flip-it-yourself hood and had the Arc One replaced.  I was welding for about an hour last Thursday night, it was great for a while, then one time, it didn't turn at all, and twice after there was a delay.  I've had a hard time seeing with my contacts in since then, I'm not sure if it's allergies (they are awful here in New York right now) or flash burn.  Is is normal for there to be a delay in the hood? Should I still be dealing with the effects of this 4 days later?  The supplier said he would see if Arc One would send a different model, but at this point, I'm ready to kick them to the curb and try something different... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'll also mention that I'm only welding on a 110 MIG in my garage with this hood.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-08-2015 14:25
On or off, your welding lenses provide UV protection.  At least two layers... One from the clear cover plate, and two from the quick change auto-dark assembly (on or off).

A third layer of UV protection is provided by the safety glasses you should be wearing under your hood.

So unless reflected light is entering from under or behind your hood, arc burn should not be an issue.

Having said that... If there is pain... If your eyes feel like there are hot grains of sand in them... Stop what you are doing and see your doctor.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2015 11:32
From my personal experience if you weld all day and get arc flashed you will generally feel it that evening. A tightening of the skin around the eyes, like you've been out in the sun all day and got sunburnt. Blinking more and some irritation will set in. Figuring you're tired you go to bed. In the middle of the night you wake up to "AHHHHHH!!!!"

I have some eye drops from the doc, lubrication drops of some sort. Burns at first application but works to help relieve the sand in the eyes. As Al said I believe, the eyes are super fast healing. They used their little drill on mine and fine the next day. The eye burn by the time you notice it should be gone within 12-24 hours. I'm not doctor but I think this would depend on the severity also. There was a guy in tech school that literally and this is a no b.s, Gods honest truth, welded in his booth without a hood. I don't know how long he attempted this but the next day his eyes were seriously messed up. Don't think he finished that quarter, not the brightest bulb in the box for obvious reasons. Burns to the eyes like that idiot would likely take a bit longer than 24 hours.

I wear safety glasses but it seem no matter what I do, other than swim goggles foreign objects find their way thru my hood, around my glasses and into my eyes. I've worn the ANSI type goggles with the foam and have had a piece of grinding debris hit me in the cheek area under my eye, ricochet under the foam and hit me in the eye, drill used by doc to remove it and rust ring.

I thought they suggested not wearing contacts while welding? Should use glasses? I thought I heard or read about this one time. Not sure of the reasoning behind it(20/20 here).
- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2015 16:22 Edited 06-12-2015 16:27
Your eye is the fastest healing organ in the human body. It takes about 24 hours for the arc flash to "heal". It can be a problem if one gets a piece of spatter, grinding girt or other foreign material in the eye. In about 24-hours, the eye will heal over it. Then the doctor has to drill or use a scalpel to remove the object.

The auto-darkening helmets have sensors located on the helmet. If they are not in direct line of sight of the welding arc, they fail to darken the filter lens. Still, as noted by Lawrence, it is doubtful the eye irritation is because the helmet failed to darken completely. More likely it is the pollen that is the source of the irritation.

I tried a few auto-darkening helmets before I found one that I liked. The right helmet saves a lot of wear and tear on the eyes when teaching people to weld or observing the welder's technique during qualification.

Been there.

Ouch - Al
- By Trackergd (**) Date 11-23-2015 20:47
My first time getting flashed was when I was about 14 (1969) and putting hard face rod on our farm equipment with a Westinghouse buzz box.  Got the rod stuck and flipped up the hood.  Dumb move and I paid for it.  Only other time was reflection from polished aluminum while watching a new welding process.
- - By automobilexyz Date 10-10-2018 10:05 Edited 10-10-2018 10:14
Who can tell us the quick way to recover the eye pain after welding !?
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-11-2018 12:00
Put cucumber slices over each eye, then apply mud pack around the face...no wait, forget that.

There is no quick way.  Pain can last 24 hrs.

Tyrone
Parent - - By David20191 Date 05-06-2019 09:31
Great! Thanks for sharing
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 05-06-2019 11:21
I tried cucumber slices, but I was in line at the salad bar at Golden Corral when I tried it, and they told me I had to leave.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-07-2019 12:35
Egg whites.
The arc flash burns the gelatinous membrane off the eyeball and that is why it feels like you have a handful of sand in your eyes.
The egg white is an artificial membrane that will not be an instant cure but will take away a lot of the pain / irritation.
Cheers,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / eye flash burns