Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Triangulation, it's applications for fitting and fabbing
- - By aevald (*****) Date 02-25-2015 21:52
Hello folks, for some of you there may be a need to have a way to layout, cut, and fit parts for various uses in repair, new construction, and other applications in your everyday work.

There are a multitude of ways to perform these tasks: drawn patterns, using paper/cardboard and a mallet to make impressions of the edges and shape of a part, using masking tape or other types of tape to make outlines and then transfer these "tape" frames to a material for "lining" and cutting, there are likely others that I haven't thought of here.

I've included pictures/diagrams and some commentary to discuss this topic and give some suggestions for approaches. I hope these can be of use to some of you and as always I hope to receive responses that can add to this topic or provide other options for accomplishing similar results. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-26-2015 01:57
Allan,
your a great fitter and lay out man
you hurt my ego:eek::sad::cry::wink:
great teacher, your students are lucky:yell::grin::cool:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-26-2015 02:54
Thank you Kent, and I suspect that your layout skills are right up there. Do you have any different approaches or comments that could provide similar end results but possibly from a different perspective or through the use of different techniques? Would love to add to my arsenal and that of others. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-26-2015 14:54
Allan,
try this site to start
http://www.blocklayer.com/Default.aspx
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-26-2015 15:26
Thank you Kent, definitely lots of cool stuff there. I'll have to spend some time looking over a lot of those topics. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-02-2015 03:51
Allan,
we are here to pass on the knowledge
all we can do
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Xuago Date 02-27-2015 11:31 Edited 02-27-2015 11:43
This is awesome stuff, thanks so much for sharing it with us Allan. I am currently quite a novice in comparison so teachings such as yours is really giving me the inspiration to keep improving and to try and learn as much as possible! Thanks again!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:27
Thank you and I hope you do feel inspired and aspire to get better. Just always keep your eyes and ears open and don't hesitate to ask questions. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Xuago Date 03-02-2015 10:52
I definitely will! That is an extremely good philosophy to live by :cool:
- - By Dualie (***) Date 02-26-2015 04:38
The fact you touch on aspects of layout in your teaching speaks volumes about the quality of your program.    Most schools that teach welding teach exactly that just welding.   Hats off to you.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-26-2015 07:11
Thanks Dualie, I often teach things that are definitely beyond what I expect the students to master. But my main hope is that when they run into it again during the course of their careers, should they take a path where it is in use, that they will at least have some "ah ha" moments and be just a step ahead of the pack or possibly set the tone for some good mentoring experiences with the journeymen level folks that they end up working with. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-26-2015 09:23 Edited 02-26-2015 09:28
Hi Allan,

Oh yeah... I could write a book on bisecting and trisecting arcs in order to layout because I used to teach the very same method of layout many moons ago when they still taught you how to fit and how to make your own drawings without the use of some form of CAD... It's good to see that there are still a few like yourself that still do incorporate these important skill sets for the students who want to become a true welder/fabricator as opposed to a glorified rod burner who whines if they even have to pick up a grinder for crying out loud!!!

At first the students which were of a demographic where math was only thought to be used to make money illegally and trigonometry was a foreign language, the kids were initially intimidated... And yet if the correct approach of identifying immediately what they could do with these skill sets including how much greater worth they will be once they become competent with using these layout methods and how precise their results are reproduced... Most of them jump in with both feet wanting to learn these tried and true methods of layout, and the ones that are still sort of hesitant usually get in a very short period of time because the key to successfully teaching these methods is by the students using them to construct their first fabrication as opposed to just sitting in the class struggling from trying to stay awake and paying attention to the instructor which is doomed to failure almost as fast as it takes to finish the first week!!! By showing them how "magical" theses skill sets are when performing layouts, in no time they will be showing this to their friends and family, or just about anyone else that they want to impress with these new found skills... That's when you know you did your job and it's very satisfying to witness!

It's very refreshing to see that there are some folks like yourself still teaching these skill sets Allan... Because those students that become competent with using these skills will have an edge over those who are not taught this... And their value as an employee will increase with having competency in using the greater diversity of various skill sets besides these...In affect, they will be more valuable, and productive employees and can also take these skills to maybe venture into their own business one day also... The sky is the limit yet not for long because even that barrier is soon to be shattered also!:grin::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-26-2015 13:47
Thank you for that heartfelt response Henry, I hope that you are feeling better these days and continue to do so. As you said, it is nice to see the beam in a students eye or to hear of a moment long after they have left our tutelage and been able to put some of this to use. Now, if you have the time to share some of the other methods that you have on your mind I would love to see or hear of them. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-27-2015 13:17
I wish I would have paid more attention in school during math class.  The truth about that is I can’t even begin to count all the problems I have, because math has always been one of them.  I’m not really sure what the actual root of my problem is.  Math certainly sounds simple enough.  It’s basically 90% common sense, and the other half is intelligence.  At one point I bought a book called “Math for Dummies” but all the answers were wrong.  I remember when I was in high school and I tried to join the math club just to try and fit in, but the nerdy girls kept beating me up.  There was one girl in particular, who seemed to be the lead bully.  She kept yelling "Math is not for you.  Math is not for you”, which I found to be particularly funny because she had a lisp.  Do any of you realize how difficult it is to laugh hysterically and get beat up at the same time? I even tried to use math in high school to predict when I'd actually get a girlfriend, but evidently Casio had given calculators the ability to laugh.  I remember not too long ago when math actually saved my life.  My wife and I were walking home late one night from a restaurant uptown when a young hoodie holding a knife pointed it at me and demanded my wallet.  I said, "Here.  Go ahead and open it.  There's nothing in it”, then he yelled, “What do you mean there's nothing in it?” I replied, “It's the end of the night and I'm with my wife, you do the math!”
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-27-2015 15:31
Hello Scott, the minute that I see your your name attached to a response I have to make sure that I don't have a mouthful of coffee or something else. Otherwise I am assured that I'll need to do a wash-down on my keyboard. Appreciate the pointed humor as usual and the smile that it brings. Now, how about some subject matter that adds to this topic, I know you've got a trick or two up your sleeves, you haven't gotten to where you are in life without some of that? Best regards, Allan
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-27-2015 20:00
I'm sorry Allan.  There's nothing helpful that I can contribute to the triangulation topic, unless somebody brings up the Bermuda Triangle, which actually originated as a rectangulation topic.  Not a lot of people know that the Bermuda Triangle used to be called the Bermuda Rectangle, until one side mysteriously disappeared.  Seriously though, I do find the illustrations that you posted quite interesting and educational, and I'm going to add them to my electronic library.  Thank you so much for the illustrations and explanations.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Triangulation, it's applications for fitting and fabbing