Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Table 4.8
- By doitdorado (*) Date 03-03-2015 15:36
In D1.1 Table 4.8, the 5th section down from the top. The statement under WPS Base Metal
“Steels shall be of the same material specification, grade/type and minimum yield strength as the steels listed in the PQR”
Does this apply to both group III steel and group IV steel or only group IV? So if the PQR is welded using ASTM A 572 Grade 65, can the WPS be used to weld ASTM A 1018 HSLAS Grade 70 Class 2?
Attachment: Document1.pdf (72k)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2015 20:57
What part of "Steel shall be of the same material specification, grade/type and minimum specified yield strength as the steels listed in the PQR." don't you understand?

If your mother says, "You can only have a lollypop that is the same flavor as the one you had yesterday.", does that mean you can have a cherry, orange, banana, ... flavored lollypop today?

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-03-2015 21:57
EEEEEEasy Al.

M.G.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-03-2015 22:34
Okay, without trying to be a perfectionist, forum police, language police, and/or many other things I have been called, let's take a look at something.

You are asking the wrong question.  Look at the way you asked your question according to the wording of your last sentence.  But, it is not a question of if the second material can be welded to a/the WPS.  Sure it can.  But which WPS?  What documentation was used to write the WPS?

Your question, I believe, actually is: can a WPS be written for the second steel combo from the PQR on the first steel combo of your example? 

If THAT answer were 'yes' then you could weld the second steel selection from the WPS written off of the PQR performed on the first steel combo.  But, I'm afraid I have to defer to the same answer provided by Al. 

You need to use deductive reasoning and start at the top of Table 4.8 and come down and see the rational reasoning pattern behind the combinations for the PQR's and then how they guide the decision on producing a WPS from the PQR. 

It truly does say what it means and means what it says.

Now, also, I would like to ask, is there a reason behind the confusion or did you just want to verify a particular course of action?  Often these questions come to us because different individuals in a particular chain of command are disagreeing on the application of a Table or text.  Don't feel like we have slammed you.  What often seems obvious to us, isn't to others.  And, I have been on the wrong side of 'what seemed obvious' more than once. 

So, my question to you, do you see where our (no, I won't do that to Al) MY reasoning is coming from?  Or, do you have further explanation that may help us understand what is behind the question?  Or, that I have properly interpreted your question?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2015 02:30
I'm not slamming him. I was only trying to put it into a context the poster could fathom.

Or are you trying to tell me I need a Snicker?

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2015 02:52
I did not say you did, I said I didn't want him to feel like it.

Second, I don't know, do you need a snicker?  I just had a good one.  Unless you meant you needed a chocolate break?  You aren't trying to break cold turkey are you?  You know how you get without your chocolate and nuts. 

Good night Al. 

Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-04-2015 12:27 Edited 03-04-2015 12:30
All the talk about lollipops and candy bars yesterday made me hungry, so I stopped at a newsstand yesterday on the way home.  Once inside, I noticed a sign that said “No reading in this shop”, so I grabbed a bunch of different chocolate bars, took them to the counter, and asked “Which one of these is a Hershey bar?” I can't help myself.  I’ve always been infatuated with chocolate.  I remember when I was a kid I used to hate going bra shopping with my mom.  In all fairness, if she hadn't kept feeding me chocolate, I wouldn't have needed one.  Later on, to get a little exercise, I became a postman.  I will never forget the time I read the most absolutely heart wrenching letter that a little girl had written to Santa Claus.  She’d written how her mommy and daddy had no money and all she wanted for Christmas was a chocolate bar.  To make a long story short, there was no money in that envelope, so with tears in my eyes, I regained my composure, re-sealed it, and proceeded to open the others.  Then there was the time my wife told me that she wanted a chocolate log as her birthday cake.  Judging by her reaction, I think there may have been some kind of misunderstanding.  “It’s ok”.  “I'm starting to feel really depressed about my weight anyway” she said.  Feeling sorry for what I did, I said “I know what you would love right now” as I held out my arms. “A hug?” she smiled and asked, and I said “No, a chocolate bar….. this long.”
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-04-2015 14:34
Postman read the mail? I thought that wasn't allowed?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2015 18:19
And you thought postmen didn't know how to read.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2015 18:23
Judging by the amount of wrong mail I get, the jury is STILL out.

BB
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2015 18:27
I have a young lady that delivers the mail. She carries a white walking stick to fend off the little kids that like to place logs and rocks in her path.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-04-2015 18:59
Let me guess, a white walking stick with a red tip on it?  :lol:

Kinda like the person responsible for looking for the IRS tapes, legally blind?  :eek: 

That's a good postperson to have, no fear of reading your mail unless it's in braille.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Table 4.8