Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 PQR Documents
- - By apply Date 03-06-2015 02:05
Dear Experts
I encount a problem about the PQR documents.

Client reject the WPS/PQR,because Our vendor didn't provide the original original mechanical test and NDT test reports.

is it mandatory to include all original mechanical test and NDT test report to the PQR as part of it beside the record these test results on the PQR( i use the Sample Welding Forms in Annex N of D1.1 )?
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-06-2015 02:48
When police caught you for driving violation, is it allowed only to show a photostat copy of your driving license?
To accept or to reject is discretion of your client.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2015 03:20
There is no code requirement to retain the original laboratory test reports. The certifying statement at the end of the form is the contractor's attestation that the testing was in accordance with the applicable standard. That isn't to say the contractor isn't lying through their teeth, but we assume everyone is honest until they prove otherwise. Reputations take years to build and moments to destroy.

I generally attached the material test reports for the base metal, the NDT reports, and the laboratory test results to the PQR. I do it because much of my work includes such requirements as part of the project specifications. In that respect, they are customer requirements, not code requirements.

I typically require the laboratory to return the tested specimens and recommend to my client that they retain the samples for the purpose of customer audits. That can be a double edge sword if the auditor is a dweeb that doesn't really understand what they are doing. For instance, I had an auditor try to reject bend samples because they were too wide. They measured 0.006 inch over the 1 1/2 inch nominal width depicted by the sketches in the welding standard. I pointed out that the sketches didn't provide a min/max tolerance. They were nominal values. I explained that in my humble opinion as long as the samples were not undersized, they were acceptable. After an exchange of opinions he caved and agreed with my position.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-06-2015 11:42
apply,

Lab test reports would be evidence that a PQR actually occurred, and they're furnished to the customer by the testing agency.  If the PQR/WPS is rejected because the original mechanical test and NDT test reports were not sent to your client, and if they were legitimately performed, in my humble opinion, then send them to your client.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-06-2015 20:53
OK, look at it this way.
I take my car to the garage and have a gizmo replace.
Upon return of the vehicle, I demand they give me my original defective part.
This way, I feel;
1) Reassured they have "done their job".
Plus,
2) It's MY part, and
3) I am an artist/blacksmith and can make something out of it later...

Item "1" is relevant to this discussion.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 03-07-2015 15:46
But the question whether there is a code requirement to attach the original laboratory test reports to the PQR. The answer is still, "it is not a code requirement" if the applicable code is AWS or ASME. I can not speak for other codes developed by the Japanese, the English, or Germany.

Best regards - Al
- By apply Date 03-09-2015 07:55
thanks for all your reply.
We have push the vendor to submitted the original reports,not sure  they can find or not.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 PQR Documents