Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Writing
- - By t_rod7018 (*) Date 03-12-2015 18:50
Hello fellow welders,

I'm designing some parts that will have a variety of types of welds.  Section 3.4 of D1.2 states "Each WPS shall be qualified by positioning and welding the test assembly in the manner stated below" and then lists the different types and positions.  So does that mean that each WPS is contingent on ONE type and position of weld, or do all just need to conform to the code?  Basically, if I have a CJP 1F weld and a PJP 1G weld on the same fabricated part, can they go on the same WPS, or do I need 2 separate tests?

Thanks,
Tori
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-12-2015 21:54
You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Here are some notes speaking to your post.

A 1F weld cannot be CJP.   If a T-Joint is CJP it is still a groove weld.  I'm not at my desk or I would refer you to the Joint details in D1.2

A fillet weld and a groove weld on the same WPS is unwise with aluminum.  Even if the parameters were similar, the joint details are not.   If your production joint details can match the joint details in D1.2 it is best to use what the code provides for each different joint.

It is possible to have a WPS that is supported by several PQR's, but this does not relieve you of the need to perform PQR's for every thickness, joint configuration, and position demanded by the procedure qualification essential variables in the code.

Another idea would be to prepare detailed engineering drawings for the component you are making with weld symbols noting the individual WPS in the tail for each welded joint.
Parent - By t_rod7018 (*) Date 03-12-2015 22:01
Thanks Lawrence, I see that in Annex B of the Code now...I agree, having several PQR's will be best, as to not have ambiguity on something like this!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Writing