Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / shoelace protection
- - By juntao Date 04-12-2015 01:32
Hi there, has anyone used lacesavers shoelace protectors? If so, do they work? Thinking about buying a pair.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 04-12-2015 05:59
Don't know about that, but the best welders' laces I have ever used are KG Bootguard's Kevlar firefighter/welder laces.  They last way longer than leather and don't stretch.  With those you may decide you don't need a cover.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-13-2015 11:06
I've tried all kinds of laces. In what I do I burn them up and put them to a real test. Globs of slag, areas where galvy could not be removed completely dropping galvy bombs and the leather ones lasted the longest. I always kept several pairs in my glove box. I've found it was easier to just wear pull up boots and then I wear the leather leg/foot covers to keep the nasty's from burning thru my pant leg and dropping into my boot. This works best except for when they burn thru your pant leg up higher(thigh area) and roll down into the legging and get caught. Mine is probably the most extreme case however. Shop welding or on the ground field work and the leather or Kevlar would work nicely.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-13-2015 14:22
Metatarsal boots might be another option when it's time for a new pair.  They cover the exposed laces and add a little extra protection.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-13-2015 16:51
I wish I could find pull on boots that were comfortable to wear.  Ankle/foot problems prevent it, I need the support from a good tall lace up boot.  I just carry many pairs of laces in truck and replace as needed.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 04-13-2015 21:08
Hey Tommy.....Feel your pain, always had ankle problems and then after I broke my leg clean off , right above my left ankle..WTF!!!!!!!! Anyway now when I buy shoes I have to buy 1 size bigger for my left foot.....I've found that the higher the boot (10" lace up) the better off I am as far as longevity on my feet per day ( 12-14hrs.) ......As far as laces, I use leather but they don't last long!!!!!!!!! On another note ; Don't you like "puzzle grating" ????????
Parent - By juntao Date 04-15-2015 01:33
Thanks for the advice. I just order the lacesavers a few hours ago.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-15-2015 16:14
Juntao,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

There are many options available for laces.  Personally I prefer leather laces and just keep a couple extra pair handy.  Mine have generally had good lifespan but it depends upon the exact kind of work being done. 

Many other options hinder bending at the ankles or other movement and/or positioning. 

All up to you.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2015 22:05
Something cheap that works is cutting up an old pair of welding gloves, poke a couple of holes and lace them so that the leather covers most of your shoe laces.
Parent - - By Fionamarvin10 Date 03-07-2019 07:51 Edited 03-07-2019 12:40
Yes, I tried it! Recently someone in my relatives suggests me to buy lacesavers shoes, so I bought a pair of them from https://www.reecoupons.com/view/mixxmix They are very comfortable to wear. I too suggest you get one.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-07-2019 12:22
Real good welders don't wear lace up boots anyway. A good pair of Wolverines Dura Shock slip on boot work great and you look good wearing them. :smile: Just my pipe welder opinion.
- By juntao Date 04-25-2015 07:32
I got the lacesavers i ordered and they work great.
Thanks for all the advice.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / shoelace protection