Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / welders Qualification Range
- - By afrozalam Date 04-20-2015 19:30
Hi all,
Please some body clear to me that if  the Welder is Qualified for

ER70S GTAW ROOT+HOTPASS ONLY.

E7018 SMAW FILL UP AND CAPING.

IS THE ABOVE QUALIFICATION ALLOW THE WELDERS TO WELD PIPE ROOT THROUGH SMAW WITH E6010??????

Answer from any body will be highly appreciateed...
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-20-2015 20:16
If ASME Sec IX and the root has backing (Backing Ring or welded both sides) then yes. Provided all other ranges of qualification are satisfactory.

Welcome to the forum. Give us some background as to why you ask this.
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 10-14-2015 21:00
I'm coming over from a D1.1 shop to an ASME shop. Can you explain where in Sec 9 I can find that info?
Parent - By Daryl Peterson Date 10-20-2015 15:19
I'm not sure what specifically you are asking, however the qualification range is listed in QW-461.9. One notable difference between AWS and ASME is that under AWS a welder is qualified in all position on plate when he passes a 3G and 4G plate test. Under ASME, the welder must pass a 2G, 3G, and 4G to be qualified to weld plate all position.

Also, be advised that for a dual process (ie. GTAW root and SMAW cap), the welder is qualified for both processes, for up to 2T (2 times the thickness) of the test welds. Therefore, if the welder tested on 1/2" with a 1/8" GTAW root / 3/8" SMAW, the welders qualification range is; GTAW up to 1/4", SMAW up to 3/4".
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-26-2015 17:24
I'll try to help you out JeffStankiewicz. We must take into account filler metal F-number qualified and QW-353 which gets you to 404.15 which gets you to QW433. Original qual was done with an F-6 filler and a F-4 fill and cap. So original posters wants to know if his welder can now put in a root/fill/and cap with an E6010 electrode after qualifying with an ER70S-6 filler for root and E7018 remainder.(that's how I'm taking his original post anyway)  The answer is no because his root was qualified with an F-6 filler and QW-433 does not let you substitute when qualifying with F-6 fillers. However, if he puts in his TIG root with F-6 filler, that now becomes backing for an F-3 filler(E6010) for the remainder which is allowed per the table shown under QW-433. You would go over horizontally in the qualified with column to F-4 with backing, then go down and everywhere there is an X, go over to the qualified for column running vertically and he/she can weld with those F-numbers with backing. Ya dig? :grin:
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 10-26-2015 21:47
I could SWEAR that was English!

Like I stated above, I've worked with the AWS codes for years, but now I'm QA in an ASME shop. I was told it wouldn't be that tough of a transition, but it's been more difficult than I originally thought.

It's like they handed me a book in Chinese and said, "well, you speak English. That's a language. This is just a different language."

lol :grin:
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-27-2015 15:06
Well, you asked if Pipewelder 1999 could explain where in Sec IX he came up with that verbiage and he did not, so I was just trying to help you out man. If you still don't understand, keep asking questions. :wink:

Kix
Parent - - By Chiew Man Leong Date 10-13-2015 09:02
hi all,

i want to check with you all,

with one better GTAW or SMAW??

with one better UT or RT>>????

with one better MT or PT????
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-13-2015 13:25
It all depends on what the particular circumstances are and what is being accomplished. it is all in the details applicable to the situation at hand.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / welders Qualification Range