Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is Structural?
- - By msharitt (**) Date 05-07-2015 15:58
Whether it be my lack of knowledge or my lack of digging, or both I can not seem to find the answer to a question. Most D1 codes are straight forward, D1.5 is for bridge construction, D1.6 is stainless and so on. The company I am new to holds the standard of their work of or greater than D1.1. So D1.1 as a minimum but obviously there are many things to strive better than just that as a minimum standard. Also keep in mind that all the welders took the 3G test with upward progression. Currently we're building what I call chutes. Rectangular plate work, flange on each end, some lined with AR. All plate is corner fit. I walk around and notice a welder making a downhill pass. My first thought is 3.7.1(All welding in the vertical must be in the uphill progression(yes there are two exceptions)) I let him know that he's not certified in that and move on. I asked the shop foreman and he said that since it's not structural it's not technically D1.1 structural steel code to go by. I have seen uphill and downhill passes cut and etched, I know it's not as solid downhill. But my question is, what is considered structural steel? Is plate work structural? And if it is not then what constitutes something as structural or not? Also if it is not then what code is plate work too? Thanks in advanced, maybe I gave enough information for someone to help my curiosity.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-07-2015 16:17 Edited 05-07-2015 16:28
To try to answer your question of what is considered structural steel, in my experience, when AWS D1.1 is the specified code in the contract documents, the AISC Steel Construction Manual, which includes the Code of Standard Practice, is also specified.  The COSP is available at this link:

https://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=25256

In Section 2, the COSP provides a definition and a detailed list of items which are structural steel, as well as other steel, iron, or metal items, though the COSP provisions are not intended to apply to the latter.

Edit:
What code is the applicable code in your contract specs? I've heard the same "since it's not structural it's not technically D1.1 structural steel code to go by" but in my review of the contract specs, D1.1 was the applicable code, and the material specs and thicknesses used were within D1.1 parameters....  two things that would also need to be considered with regard to the applicable code, but when in doubt, an RFI should clear up any confusion.
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 05-07-2015 16:28
Thanks Scottn, That's a resource I was looking for. Also you brought out a side that I didn't consider. The contract specifies that all welding shall conform to the current edition of AWS D1.1.  I didn't think of that side of it. So although they probably put that on there for the structure on the job. It would still cover any welding on the job. Thanks for that insight. Just something that didn't cross my mind. Being a fairly new CWI I've learned, you can read books and pass test and go through seminars all day. The one thing that I have yet to find in a book though is "how to do the daily routine of a company CWI?" lol Thanks again for the wisdom.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-07-2015 16:33
Here's something that might be helpful in that regard, though it may differ from company to company.  It's "Inspector Responsibilities" from the Inspection Trends magazine...

https://app.aws.org/itrends/2009/10/it200910/it1009-14.pdf
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 05-07-2015 16:36
Good information. Reading through this forum is probably one of the more helpful resources I've found. It make not have an answer pertaining exactly to my question, there is normally enough information to point someone in the right direction.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-07-2015 16:45
You've definitely come to the right place.  There are contributors to this great forum who have forgotten more than I'll ever know, and I'm sure they'll help as their time permits.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 05-07-2015 18:20
Hello msharitt,
I have two comments:
-First, I agree with Scott 100%. If the specified code is AWS D1.1 then all welding should be performed to those requirements.
-Second, I would bet that you do not even have a WPS that specifies vertical welding in the down progression.
It is my experience that most welding personnel simply do not understand that even though they think that something could be done a certain way, if it does not meet the specified code and is not covered by a qualified WPS, their work could and should be rejected. This is what you tell them. It's not a matter of personal opinion, it is a matter of being compliant to the applicable welding code. Good luck!
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 05-07-2015 19:20
Thanks WeldinFool, That was actually one of the first things I went and double checked was the WPS on file. I just came into them and didn't write any of them. They are a mess and I have spent many days straightening them out from the last guy that was here(From reading this forum this seems to be common). Luckily for me most are prequalified and I'm just having to rewrite them. There are a few that my boss isn't going to be happy with when before we run that process or material, I tell him we have to requalify everything the last guy done. It's defiantly a learning curve but I'm getting there. Thanks again.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-07-2015 19:55
I think the fellas have done a pretty good job of pointing you in the right direction. I'm simply supporting their position.

Al
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 05-07-2015 20:17
Thanks Al, I've read a lot of post where you've been the first one there. I'm sure on more than one occasion you've steered many lost people in the right direction, including myself.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-07-2015 21:31
Thanks for the compliment.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is Structural?