Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Manually welded studs
- - By strat (**) Date 05-13-2015 00:36 Edited 05-13-2015 13:59
I did a search on this in the forum but did not see anything related to this, unless I just missed it. For stud welding with automatic machine welding (stud gun) per D1.1 the first 2 studs shall be tested by bending approximately 30 deg. OK what about manually welded studs with FCAW process, does the first 2 have to be tested as machine welded? I do not see anything that would suggest this.
Reason I'm asking, I sent 2 WPS's to a customer for review, "1" is for machine welded (stud gun) HA A108 studs that meets AWS D1.1:2000(that's the year they required), in this WPS I have memo notes, one of the memo's is "Before production welding with a particular set-up and with a given size and type of stud, and at the beginning of each shift, and by each welder operator, testing shall be performed on the first two studs welded per 7.7.1.1 of AWS D1.1:2000".
The other WPS is for welding of HA A108 studs with FCAW process, in this WPS it states that the flux ball shall be removed before welding and there is also a table stating the minimum size fillet weld. They sent the one WPS for the FCAW process back and asked that the no. "1" memo that's in the stud gun WPS be added to the FCAW process WPS, I do not see anything in AWS D1.1:2000 and or 2008, and 2010 that states that to be for FCAW welded studs. Clause 7 section 7.5.5 talks of fillet weld options and 7.5.5.7 Visual Inspection states FCAW, GMAW, and SMAW welded studs shall be visually inspected in conformance with 6.9,(it is 6.6.1 in AWS D1.1:2000)
Thanks,
Strat
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-13-2015 17:32
Whenever we manually fillet weld studs with FCAW, we don't do any bend tests.  Visual inspection criteria for studs alludes to "any stud not showing a 360° flash", which to me pertains to studs being shot, not manually welded. 

If your customer is asking for the memo that you'd mentioned, you would either need to add it to the other WPS, or let them know that this is not a D1.1 requirement, which may be something that they're either not aware of, or it's just a preference that they have.  If it were me, I'd give them a call and state to them what you've stated here.
Parent - By strat (**) Date 05-13-2015 18:31
Thanks SCOTTN,
I look at it the same way, I am going to call them and ask why do they wont bending added to the WPS, I don't wont to add this cause we'll be bending FCAW welded studs if I do. I was just looking for other opinions in case I was missing something, which I don't think I am.
Thanks,
Strat

O by the way, I read were you left the big town of Kings Mountain and are in Ga. now, and what you've done with the RV living I admire
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Manually welded studs