Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing Your Help & Ideas
- - By LHYAMS3 Date 05-19-2015 14:47
Folks, I am applying for a marketing position with a leading Gas and Supply company. Good marketing managers listen to the customer so I'm doing my research and getting ready for another round of interviews. I'd like to ask for your opinions on companies like Gas & Supply, Air Liquide, and AirGas. What do you look for? Who do you think is setting the standard? What really wins you over? What do you wish they would do better?

Many thanks in advance.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-19-2015 15:19 Edited 05-19-2015 16:24
Hello LHYAMS3, of the folks that you have listed we only have Airgas in our area and some others. In regards, to them (Airgas) they are hit and miss with their service. Some of the time they are "Johnny on the spot" and other times their service is really dismal. I would say that carry through is paramount, another point would be whether you think a customer needs something or not make a showing and ask them if they need anything. Also, don't hesitate to let them know of specials and other "opportunities" that might help them out.

Even though we are a school and in the big sense of things, our purchases of supplies/consumables pale in comparison to other industries in our area, we ARE an entity that has an effect on the future purchasers that will be working in many shops. Students can pick-up on how suppliers are working with us, or not, and they take note of that and it affects their perceptions and preferences for future interactions.

Weldcome to the forum as the saying goes around here, good luck, and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By LHYAMS3 Date 05-19-2015 15:52
Alan.  Service is always king.  Thanks for your insight.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-20-2015 18:09
The best suppliers:

Anticipate Customer needs and keep a stash of typical consumables on hand to prevent shipping delays.
Provide subject matter experts to help with product questions, efficiency plans / cost reduction strategies, and welding code compliance.
Provide quality and efficiency training to Customer's employees.
Arrange for manufacturer representatives to perform onsite product demos.
Help large Customers keep track of how much shielding gas they're using / losing.

Basically, a good supplier is more of a concerned business partner than a storefront.

Tim
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-20-2015 04:20
Its not knowing what your customer uses the most its knowing what your customer will need in a pinch and being able to come through.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-20-2015 11:58
What always impresses me is when a supplier actually responds beyond what is strictly necessary. This often earns my loyalty and smooths out any minor defects in service or supply.

For example, I ordered a small, but crucial, part, but, through my own error, got the wrong model. Contacted the supplier (Praxair) and explained, admitting my error, and asking them to send the correct part while I was returning the wrong one. Got an an immediate response that the correct part was on the way, and I did not have to bother about return.

This happened years ago, but the company still has a loyal customer that was helped out in a pinch!
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 05-20-2015 12:45
Support - We use both Airgas and Praxair. Airgas has some welding experts/gurus CWE's that are available to come in and help with
those scratch you head ones - Recently, I had them come in and do some weld symbol training with all our welders, was a great presentation, no cost to the customer. They both stock are most common wires as well.
Chicago area.
Good Luck!
Parent - - By LHYAMS3 Date 05-20-2015 19:06
Hey Guys, thanks so much for your time and opinions on suppliers.  I learned more from you than I could with a month in the field.  Hope I get to use this new education.

Louis Hyams
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-20-2015 22:51
Louis,
from the past, always did and still do business
with people I like
ie are my friends, someone I will buy lunch for
have what I always like,and buy on equipment and filler
but that is my choice, and they know it
be a friend and then things go your way
what sales is
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-24-2015 13:12 Edited 05-24-2015 13:21
I've dealt with two supply companies, Airgas and a local family owned one. The family owned is over 60 miles away but dealt with them when I first started out as I knew them. After years of running two plus hours from home to their place and the problem with getting their tanks refilled while out of state I moved to Airgas. Skeptical at first but had them get me prices on tanks, welding rod I commonly use and other things then compared with my contact at the other place and Airgas beat their prices substantially.

I have noticed in my travels that Airgas is inconsistent. I have a account in the southeast and was in Kansas needing to swap a tank of acetylene. I told them I had an account, they said it was not in their region. I called my guy back home and he gave them my prices but the salesman would not budge. Said, "our acetylene comes out of Texas" like it had gold dust in it or something special. I paid double the cost for a tank swap. My local Airgas however took care of me once I got home after I told them what I paid and how uncooperative the Kansas store was.

I'm a one man band so I don't spend the amount of money large contractor do like the GM plant or many of the other plants or welding shops around my neck of the woods do but the guys at my local store take care of me and get me very good prices on the supplies I need regardless.

Taking care of the little guys that pay their bill is just as important as the big guys. Also getting to know your clients, not just a name that spends money is important I think. Same thing though, small guys are equally important as the big clients.

I bought some 8018 in St. Louis from a independent welding supply up there and cost me over $200 for 50lbs. I got back home and looked at what it cost me at Airgas and just about soiled myself on how much I was raped by this other company. There was an Airgas in St. Louis but they didn't have any 8018, which was odd due to the size of the store. The explanation they gave was it would sit on the shelf for an undetermined amount of time. Understandable that you cannot stock everything but seems like 80 series is a fairly common item.

In short, take care of everybody the same no matter what the account size and if they pay on time normally. Everybody has a hiccup now and again though but you can tell the ones that had the hiccup over the bums. With the corporations I think it is your local store, who you deal with regularly. Some are different though, depends on management. As I said with Airgas, different locations I've been to around the country have treated me poorly and if not for my account and set prices they would take me to the cleaners. Then again, the local place in St. Louis bent me over and rammed it home pretty hard as well because they didn't know me from Adam. If you're a local welding shop you can deal with the locals everyday. Roaming the countryside and blowing in to the whatever is available welding supply in BFE Kansas and you're at their mercy. Just my thoughts,
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-21-2015 00:06
Louis,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I have used many suppliers over my years in various parts of the country.  Mainly 1 on the outskirts of Portland, OR.  It got bought out a couple of times and ended up being an Airgas facility.  Even after the buyout I was treated well.

Had the same experience with Airgas on the other side of Portland.  Had good people that were always there for me. 

Moved to AZ in 1996 and was not impressed in the least with the Airgas supplier in my area.  Was with an independent supplier for over 10 years.  Always made it happen for me pulling off some fast and great deals, repairs, etc.  Then they got bought out and I couldn't work with their new management.

Went to Praxair for the next 6-7 years.  Was great at first then started slipping.  After an interesting twist of events, went back to the supplier that I wasn't able to deal with.  They made some vast changes in their customer relations after I left the first time plus I had stricken up a relationship with them through AWS and SkillsUSA.  They supply the Phoenix and Prescott area mainly as far as I know but do some business around the state.

Bottom line: It is always about how you treat people.  It is secondly about not lying.  It is strongly about doing your best to take care of them when the hurt is on.

I was told by several people when I bought the shop down here, we don't care what you charge us, just treat us like a decent human being.  I feel the same way, I will pay a little more for local merchants, doing their best, and treating me right.  Sometimes you have to pull in favors to meet a customer's needs and save his bacon.  But then you have won him unless you really screw it up later. 

I will chose small, local, family over big corporations anytime.  But, I don't stay away from those if they will treat me right and not like I am just a number in the corporate computer. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-22-2015 09:56
Great story Brent,
That's exactly how employees should be treated also.
Truthful and fairness.
Tyrone
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-22-2015 14:35 Edited 05-22-2015 14:37
Anytime I have the opportunity to do business with a small, local, or family business, I do it, as long as they treat me right and supply my needs at a fair price and in a timely manner, which has always been the case.  I would much rather give them my business than give it to a big corporation.  The most important thing to me, not only in business, but in life, is someone’s adherence to moral and ethical principles, i.e., their soundness of moral character and their honesty.  The thing that irritates me the most about the big corporations is that it takes an act of congress just to be able to talk to a living person.  First, an automated message thanks me for my patience, which is a bit presumptuous.  How do they know that I’m already waiting impatiently? “Your call will be answered in the order it was received.  Please enjoy this 40 minute flute solo while you wait.”  Most of the people who answer the businesses I call can’t answer basic questions about their own business. Whoever answered the phone at the movie theater couldn’t tell me if Siamese twins have to pay for one ticket or two tickets when they go to the movies.   Whoever answered the phone at McDonald's couldn’t tell me the difference between regular ketchup and fancy ketchup.  Whoever answered the phone at the Chinese restaurant couldn’t tell me if there’s a time limit on fortune cookie predictions.  Whoever answered the phone at the Church of Satan couldn’t tell me his last name.  Whoever answered the phone at the police station couldn’t tell me how they could arrest somebody for being legally drunk if it’s legal to be drunk in the first place.  Whoever answered the phone at the nail salon couldn’t tell me if people with one arm have to pay full price for a manicure.  It’s so frustrating because this is nothing more than basic job knowledge.  I’m in the process of sending an email complaint to each one of these businesses, and to emphasize my frustration, I’m typing each one of them with my middle finger.
Parent - - By LHYAMS3 Date 05-24-2015 15:56
Just came back to see if there were more posts.  I wrote up a paper and included all of your comments.  The president of the company is reviewing it now.

Thanks again, Louis
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-28-2015 16:49
"Weemarkable!!!"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing Your Help & Ideas