Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Edge Weld Size
- - By hawkeye (*) Date 07-07-2015 15:10
If an edge weld according to AWS A2.4 is a fillet weld and you apply a size to the left of the weld symbol then it's the required depth of fusion, does that mean it's treated like a square groove?  If you have a edge weld with or without a size to the left of the symbol, do you measure the height of the exterior surface like a groove, eventhough it's a fillet weld?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-09-2015 12:53
I've been suffering with Edge Welds myself..

I have no answer, but will toss another question into the thread since there is little discussion of edge welds.

I have seen structural spacers joined with edge welds...  I see zero backing for such a practice in D1.1 as edge welds are not prequalified joints as far as I can tell...   And I have no clue how a PQR would be performed ?!?!

BTW... How can an edge weld be a fillet weld....??    Square groove is the closest it seems to me.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-09-2015 14:29 Edited 07-09-2015 15:16
The definition of an edge weld in A3.0 is “a weld in an edge joint, a flanged butt joint or a flanged corner joint in which the full thickness of the members are fused.”

The definition of an edge joint in A2.4 is “a joint between the edges of two or more parallel or nearly parallel members.”

A fillet weld is not an applicable weld.
- By dick (**) Date 07-10-2015 04:54
Agreed with info so far. My question being, full thickness of joint members must be fused, OK , no weld size needed when melt through symbol given for CJP, OK, If I have 3/8" thick members to weld the edges, to get 3/8" fusion, wouldn't I need some type of joint prep (grinder action to chamfer members) A2.4 (10.3) chamfer when welded on both sides only ? Also 4.2.10 refers annex B, I don't have B4.2.9 in my book. Am I way off base here?
Dick
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-10-2015 05:02
Edge joints are mostly applicable to D1.3 and other codes involving thinner members.

BUT, They are still usable to heavier sections as well.  Engineer/detailer needs to provide information for a PJP as I see it (unless they actually want you to do a CJP through several inches of steel :eek: ).  Information like depth of bevel, bevel or V, depth of weld, angle of bevel, etc. 

It would be considered a groove weld call the joint what you will depending upon all applicable factors.  Mostly butt joints as Lawrence mentioned. 

I can't think of an application where an edge joint would have a fillet weld.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2015 15:53 Edited 07-11-2015 15:58
I don't know if this helps, but the size of the edge weld is specified to the left of the weld symbol per A2.4. It is the dimension of the joint penetration, which happens to be the "depth of fusion".

when one asks the question regarding "how to qualify" the edge weld, I must ask the question, "Are you trying to verify the weld size or are you demonstrating the mechanical properties can be developed?"

A simple macroetch is sufficient to demonstrate the weld size while a groove plate assembly is required to verify the mechanical properties can be met.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Edge Weld Size