Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Question
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 08-17-2015 14:27 Edited 08-17-2015 15:19
I'm A CWI looking to get my SCWI and need clarification from B5.1:2013 section 7.3.

-7.3 SWI Alternative Qualification. Candidates for SWI shall be considered as meeting the examination requirements
of 7.2 if they can demonstrate the successful completion of separate education courses or examinations that cover a minimum
of 90% of the subjects in 7.2. There is no time limit for the completion of these courses or examinations.

http://pubs.aws.org/content/free_downloads/B5.1_2013.pdf

So, no need to test? Is there a separate education form to submit? ANY info would be helpful. What exactly do I need to do to achieve my SCWI certification using SWI Alternative Qualification?
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 08-17-2015 17:18
I can't answer your question definitively without looking into it more, but I'll go out on a limb and say I doubt the intent is to be allowed to circumvent the examination process.  My guess is that the keyword in "Alternative Qualification" is Qualification, in that you are qualified in accordance with B5.1 but not certified in accordance with QC1... similar to a Corporate Level III vs. ASNT Level III.  If there isn't an applicable form to fill out and send to AWS for acceptance then how would one take advantage of this?  A freestyle essay application?

QC1 states:

Applicants seeking SCWI certification shall
successfully meet the SWI requirements as contained in
6.2 AND 7.2 of AWS B5.1, Specification for the Qualification
of Welding Inspectors.

AWS B5.1 7.3 takes care of 7.2 but you're still stuck with 6.2:

6.2 Written Test Requirements. Shall pass each part of the applicable AWI, WI, or SWI examination.

I admit that it's ambiguous and misleading.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-17-2015 17:29
InTension is pretty much right there.

For example, to qualify for CWI seminar and exams you need a certain amount of work experience depending upon education level.  Some of those years are exchangeable with advanced education with a degree in certain disciplines relating to the welding/inspecting fields. 

The same goes for the SCWI, you are using alternate methods to qualify but still must sit for the exams.

Don't worry, they are a piece of cake  :confused: :eek: :lol: 

Okay, NOT.  Just had to do that.  You better be prepared or they will get the best of you.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 08-17-2015 18:45
Thanks guys. This makes sense now. Overlooked that "AND" in QC1.

With that said, can you guys give any professional advice on study materials? I have the BOK but just wanted vets opinion for advice to get prepared and be confident when I go take the exam.

Thanks again for the replies fellows.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-17-2015 19:13
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Question