Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Welders to B2.1 Standard WPS
- - By GMI Kyle (*) Date 08-31-2015 18:18
Hello all -

This is my first time posting, so please excuse my noob-iness.  I'm new to the world of welding and these forums.  In the last six months or so I've learned about writing (prequalified) WPSs and WPQs, and have become familiar with D1.1 (at a rudimentary level).  These forums have been extremely helpful in reinforcing knowledge and clarifying different issues. 

I'd like to learn more about B2.1 as a few articles I have read mention that B2.1 Standard WPS's have the most stringent variable control and may be applicable to multiple standards (D1.1, ASME Sec IX, D14.3, etc).  We have not yet purchased a copy of the B2.1 code; and before we do, I was hoping to gather a bit more information about the code, as well as gain an understanding of how welders are qualified to the Standard Welding Procedure Specifications that are included (I think) in B2.1.

- Are the (I believe there are around 30) Standard WPS's that have been approved by AWS included in the B2.1 manual or is each Standard WPS a separate purchase?

- How is a welder qualified to a Standard WPS?  Do I hand the welder the Standard WPS as-printed and have him/her take the test?  Should I refine the Standard WPS or enter it in a company document? (To further clarify: I realize if we were to adapt one of these WPSs the "instructions shall not be less restrictive than provided in the WPS;" but can a SWPS be employed verbatim?)

- To my knowledge, welding position is a non-essential variable in B2.1, and B2.1 WPSs are acceptable as an alternative for D1.1.  If a welder has qualified to a B2.1 WPS through means of a WPQ done in the 1G position, yet a 3G weld is required on a fabrication (with all other variables being the same), is that welder qualified to make the 3G weld?

- Do prequalified procedures exist in B2.1?  What are the main differences (in essential variables or otherwise) between writing a procedure to B2.1 versus writing a procedure to D1.1?

What I'm after is determining whether it's worth our time to qualify welders to B2.1.  From what I've read, B2.1 procedures have the most stringent regulation of variables but are still applicable across a wide range of codes.  We are interested in qualifying welders to D14.3, and in the code it states "welding procedure specifications shall be qualified using AWS B2.1...within the limits of 6.1...and the workmanship and quality requirements of Section 8."  Would a B2.1 procedure cover us for both D14.3 and D1.1? 

Thank you all!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2015 20:31
Welcome to the forum!

Great questions.

I'll touch on the SWPS's.    They are individual, NOT included in B2.1 and sold separately through AWS.

They "may" suffice for multiple codes, depending on contract requirements and engineering approval.

SWPS's are typically very wide in parameter ranges, because they are supported by multiple PQR's. 

SWPS's may provide greater latitude in how they are used in production, but the other side of the blade is that the latitude provided can lead to operators making welds outside of what is optimal for a specific joint.

They are a couple hundred bucks... So it won't hurt *too* much to purchase one to see how you like the look.

As for your other excellent questions... I'll let the team get started on those  :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-31-2015 23:57
You have to sell your customer on the idea that a WPS qualified by others meets their needs. I work with one railroad manufacture who's customers will not accept SWPS qualified and meets AWS B2.1.

One of the problems I find with AWS B2.1 is that it is based on the requirements of ASME Section IX. Section IX is the one welding standard that allows the manufacturer to qualify the WPS without recording any of the information the welder needs to produce a good weld. One does not need to record arc voltage, welding current, wire feed speed (for semi-automatic welding processes), travel speed etc. on the ASME PQR. That being the case, under Section IX and B2.1, one can simply use the SWAG method to determine the useful range for arc voltage, welding current, travel speed, etc. It makes me wonder what the SWPSs use as a basis of determining the permissible ranges? Does the B2 committee use the SWAG method or are the ranges based on actual test results? We'll never know because AWS doesn't give the license holder access to the supporting PQRs.

Be aware that the SWPS is not intended for use where notch toughness or PWHT is required.

I would be a little hesitant to accept AWS' marketing department as being any different from any other sales person you've dealt with. After all, they are trying to sell you something. Horse traders, used car salesman, AWS marketing department, they all belong on a covered wagon plying their pots, pans, and snake oil to the unsuspecting.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By GMI Kyle (*) Date 09-09-2015 15:54
Thank you gentlemen for the replies. 

We're still on the fence about B2.1.  On one hand, it would make sense to qualify welders with less tests, but on the other hand, it may not be as versatile as I previously thought.  

Al, you make a good point about AWS' marketing department.  Also, I really don't like that the SWPSs do not come with the supporting PQRs that "prove" the procedure. 

If anyone has experience using B2.1 or uses/has used this standard to qualify their welders, I'd love to hear what you think about it. 

Again, thank you Lawrence and Al for your replies.  You two seem to be the lifeblood of this forum.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2015 21:10
I had a couple of clients try to use them (SWPSs) as written. The welders could not pass the tests using the information provided by the WPSs regarding the groove preparation, purge gas, etc. I ended up modifying the SWPSs to provide the welders with the information they needed to set up the machines and prepare the grooves. So much for the ranges permitted by the SWPSs. All we proved was the welder's could not get acceptable results following the SWPSs as written.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Welders to B2.1 Standard WPS