Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder's certification according to AWS D1.1-2010
- - By binhjack (*) Date 09-21-2015 08:07 Edited 09-21-2015 08:10
Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding the validity of welder's certification according to AWS D1.1-2010:

1/ Is there an expiration for the validity of welder's certificate if the welder continuously works with the given process of welding as the WPS in which he was certified?

2/ When it comes to the validity period (normally 6 months), can we prolong the validity forever or is there any requirement for the the times of prolongation?

3/ The welder was qualified and certified by the third-party organization, and the certificate was issued by them, of course. Is it possible to have the welder's certification verified only by the manufacturer (us) without assessment of the third-party organization (Surveyor)? You guys can take a look at the table of prolongation of our welder's certificate as below.

Regards,
Jack.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-21-2015 12:47
There people better to give you a more in-depth answer than I can but I would say yes if you keep a  continuity log on that person.

M.G.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-21-2015 18:00
Jack,

AWS D1.1 2010 considers a welder's qualification to remain in effect indefinitely, unless the welder hasn't welded in the process for which the welder was qualified for a period exceeding six months, unless there's some specific reason to question the welder's ability.  As Milton said, maintaining a continuity log is essential.  What I've done when welders were qualified by a third party is to witness the welders welding in the process for which they're qualified for, within the six month period from the certification date, and maintain the continuity log myself unless contract documents require otherwise.
Parent - By Stoney (*) Date 09-21-2015 18:30
Most if not all of the Union welders I work with carry a continuity book. I don't have an issue verifying the welds I witnessed and will sign off for the work done.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 09-22-2015 01:54 Edited 09-22-2015 21:22
Some folks are too generous. I would reject the qualification record outright without additional information.

There is no standard qualification test in D1.1 that utilizes a double sided groove weld. If there is, please tell me which figure in clause 4 includes such a detail.

The filler metal used meets an ASME specification, not an AWS filler metal specification. Apples and pears. Nit picking, yup, that's what they pay us to do.

Qualification coupon evaluated using UT? Not unless their version of AWS D1.1 is different than the one I have. 

The bottom line is this fellow is not qualified in accordance with D1.1. I didn't have to look too hard to find those discrepancies. I would not be surprised to find others inconsistencies upon closer examination.

Continuity record, moot point when the test record is as buggered up as this one is. The agency was probably an ATF to boot.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder's certification according to AWS D1.1-2010