Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SAW on a downhill slope
- - By CSmalley10 Date 10-02-2015 17:25
Hello everybody. I need some help. I am a QC inspector at a bridge fabrication shop, we are fabricating built up girders with anywhere from 2" to 4" of sweep. The girders are laid down on their side and clamped together in a gantry to weld the web to flange fillet welds with SAW. With the sweep in the girders the sub arc will climb at approximately a 2-3 degree angle until it meets the peak of the sweep and then descend down the other side at approximately the same angle to the end of the girder. The DOT inspector is stating that AWS D1.5 Figure 5.4 allows for a 15 degree incline but no decline. I understand his interpretation of Figure 5.4 however the shop does not so we have a bit of a battle going on. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I have searched for answers quite a bit with little success. Thanks.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-03-2015 04:49
Does that mean a vertical weld at 95° is not weldable per code?:grin:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-06-2015 04:13
:lol: :confused: :eek:

You are kidding aren't you?!! 

Welding is considered to be in the 'FLAT' position as long as it is within 15° of a 0° position.  Just because it is called the angle of 'INCLINATION' does not mean it only applies to welding between 0 and 15° UPHILL.  0 - 15° DOWNHILL is still a FLAT position weld, with ANY process.  And if you are talking about less than a 5° incline/decline it isn't even worth a consideration. 

If I have understood the positioning and angles correctly... I have to side with the shop.  It's flat.

Gotta be a CA DOT inspector.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By Paladin (***) Date 10-06-2015 03:15
Not to be a wise guy, but would something as simple as propping up the downhill end so it is level work?

Floyd
- By In Tension (**) Date 10-06-2015 23:48
2-3 degrees out of level?  Better scrap it and start over!
To be fair, code-compliance doesn't guarantee a desirable weldment and SAW can be temperamental when angles are even slightly tweaked.  But 2-3 degrees?  Flat.  Though I would be concerned when the axis of inclination reaches 14.999 degrees, regardless of what the code says.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SAW on a downhill slope