Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS Codes and its precedence over related CaseIntepretations
- - By Nalla (***) Date 10-06-2015 18:35
Dear Sirs

Lets say Code Case Interpretation done based Code Edition_ 2006  answered in year 2007.
Now we have AWS D1.1_2015.

As per my understanding AWS D1.1_2015 take precedence over Code Case Interpretation answered in 2007
Pls advise in my understanding is correct.
Thanks
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-06-2015 19:10
I would first look at which D1.1 edition is referenced in the contract documents.  Some specs will give the year, while I've seen other specs say "latest edition".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-06-2015 23:01
A Technical Interpretation is valid for the code and year of edition of that code.  It is applicable for any work performed to that code even years later if the Job Specifications cite the code in question, in this case D1.1-2006.  Jobs are often started at a point during the current edition but actually being erected in the field years later; permits, surveys, design and engineering, approval from customer, approval from Local Building Authority Having Jurisdiction, shop and erection drawing submittal and approval, fabrication, shipping, and finally erection.  Can take an extremely long time. 

So, along comes D1.1-2015, which is not quite out yet though should be in my hands shortly.  A limited number may already have it but not many.  But it won't actually be in use for a couple for years.  With the presentation of the new edition comes all the past technical interpretations UNLESS THE NEW EDITION HAS BEEN MODIFIED IN THE AREA OF THE INTERPRETATION.  Then and only then is the previous official interpretation no longer of any concern. 

So, according to your question, Yes, the 2015 takes precedence.  But, in as much as most of the code will be the same as the 2010 it won't matter.  And, there aren't that many changes from the 2008 and 2006. BUT, if your area of concern has been changed, then the 2015 takes precedence and the official interpretation only matters on jobs where it is specified as the code to be used for fabrication and/or erection and inspection. 

Hope I stated that in a way that cleared it up.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-07-2015 02:00
Al, Scott and Brent
all make very good and valid points
I will stress the one I think is top of the list
local building and planning authority
without their approval
no one passes go and collects $200
and possibly start the rework:eek::sad:
all codes are done to the best possible
but building and planning or dot, doe, nrc, nasa, etc etc
have the final say
just in my experience
sincerely,
Kent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-07-2015 00:14
The code that governs the work is the edition cited by the building code (if applicable), the project specification, or the approved structural drawings in that order.

Just because AWS publishes a new edition of a code does not mean anyone has to abide by it until it becomes a legal requirement by being incorporated into a statue by a government body or incorporated into a contract by the Owner.

I've seen more than one inspector get his butt handed to him because he did not apply the proper edition of the code. Instead, they tried to force the requirements of the latest edition of the code. To do so is usually embarrassing and expensive. When such an individual tries to force his way, I do the "corrective" work demanded by the inspector and invoice the Owner for the unnecessary rework.  The end of the story can go a couple of different ways; a) the inspector disappears and is never heard from again while I collect the money for completing the work requested by the inspector, b) the inspector hears the riot act read to him and I collect the money for the work performed, or c) the Owner hires a different lab to complete the project and pays for the corrective work performed.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS Codes and its precedence over related CaseIntepretations