Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bolting Endorsement.
- - By willseals (*) Date 11-16-2015 15:51
Has anyone got the AWS bolting endorsement and if so;
How hard was the exam?
Has it been useful in obtaining a job that requires a comparable cert like ICC?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2015 23:36
Yes, I took it and got it about 6-7 years ago.  I think it is at least as hard, probably harder, than the ICC Bolting test.  Only difference is that you don't have to do print reading for the AWS Endorsement test.

Very few jobs actually require the Bolting cert from either organization in my area: structural.  Yet, I do get comments about it from Building Authorities. 

ICC states a welding inspector will be qualified to AWS/CWI QC1.  There is no call out on the qualifications/certifications for a bolting inspector even though they themselves have a test for it and detail the inspections to be performed. 

Nice part about the AWS Bolting, once you get it you don't pay to renew, when you keep up your CWI it is automatically renewed.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By willseals (*) Date 11-17-2015 12:47
Good to know and great point about not having to renew through ICC or similar. That may be the selling factor for me to go with the AWS endorsement... are there any other endorsements worth the time that you know of?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2015 15:33
All depends upon your needs and area of expertise. 

Some may find the CWS a good one while another may find the SCWI good if you have at least 6 years in as a CWI.  If you took the D1.1 originally and do pipe jobs on any schedule you may find the API 1104 a good add on or visa versa. 

For some, the Bridge Code, D1.5 would be a plus.  D1.2 for alum.  Etc.  They can all be good if you want to be able to prove, even if only to yourself, the ability to negotiate a particular code.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-17-2015 18:48
I would also check with your local jurisdiction. In Washington state, you have to have the ICC bolting certification in order to get your WABO special inspector bolting license.

Carl
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2015 22:39
So true Carl,

Also true with my LA Deputy Inspector License.  Must have and maintain the ICC Welding and Bolting (Structural Steel) certs in order to keep the LA Deputy.

Always depends upon many various circumstances and applications as well as the Job Specifications.  Sometimes an engineer will catch you off guard with the job requirements and who is qualified to do the inspections.j

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bolting Endorsement.