Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / G.S. Crisi's famous material etching solution
- - By Kix (****) Date 12-16-2015 21:08
Hello all,

Back in 2007/2008ish, I was working with the late G.S. Crisi to come up with an etching solution for 3Cr12 stainless steel. I pm'd him with this question and he responded with the formula and it worked absolutely awesome on that material, on aluminum, stainless and carbon steels. Kind of a one size fits all solution so to say. I have since needed to find that formula again and have lost the record of our conversation. I found the P.M. I sent him, but no response. I'm guessing he e-mailed it to me or something. Can't remember that far. Does anyone recall what this magic potion was?

Thanks,

Kix
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 12-22-2015 11:39
10 milliliters of nitric acid, 10 milliliters of acetic acid, 15 milliliters of hydrochloric acid, all of them concentrated, plus two drops of glycerine.
The following precautions should be taken when preparing and using it:
Use fresh, never store for a long time (that's why you should prepare a small quantity).
Discard when it takes an orange color.
Use with care, if possible under a ventilated hood.
Add the nitric acid last.
Inmerse the coupon for a few seconds to one minute maximum.
Sorry, I don't know where those reagents can be bought in the U.S.A.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2718

I will add a personal note to this, mixing anything with nitric acid requires you to pay attention, wear personal protective gear and use a fume hood.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-22-2015 21:18
Thanks very much man! This is a gold solution! This man was brilliant, so very sad to of lost his expertise. May god rest his soul.

Kix
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / G.S. Crisi's famous material etching solution