Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.8 CERTIFICATION
- - By Art.A Date 04-29-2016 02:13
Hey guys. I have a question. I've been a welder since 2003 I keep hearing about this D1.8 I am asking this question to any CWI who might read this. I am going in to get this certification what I want to know is it will be a legit certification from whom I am getting it from. I don't want to pay for it and run into any problems in the field. The buisness who I am getting certified I have never heard of. I will get my qualification papers and an AWS Stamp now would this make my certification valid? Thank you guys I hope to get a response soon.
Parent - By 60John (*) Date 04-29-2016 12:35
D1.8 is not a certification it is a Seismic Supplement standard. It is a supplement to D1.1 that is also not a certification. CWI is the certification that can deal with both of those and many other Standards.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-29-2016 14:29
Hey Art,

Sounds sorta like you are an independent contractor.

As mentioned... AWS D1.8 is a seismic supplement to the D1.1 Structural code for steel.

D1.8 does have some additional "situational" requirements for welder performance qualification testing (Welder Certs.)

"5.1.1 Required Tests. In addition to the requirements
of AWS D1.1/D1.1M Clause 4, welders shall pass the
Supplemental Welder Qualification for Restricted Access
Welding as prescribed in Annex D, when the welder is
required to make welds meeting all of the following
requirements:
(1) The weld is Demand Critical.
(2) The weld joins the bottom beam flange to the column
flange.
(3) The weld must be made by welding through a
beam web weld access hole.

If you are a contractor doing work to the specification, you should have your own copy of the latest D1.8 as there are also some fabrication details in splice transitions, and greater detail required in WPS's.

Here is one example of a restricted access performance qualification test assembly.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.8 CERTIFICATION