Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1_2010-Table 4.1 & Table 4.3 -PJP Production Welds
- - By Nalla (***) Date 05-13-2016 09:07
Dear Sir
Table 4.1 clearly indicate WPS/PQR qualified with CJP Groove one can use the same WPS to weld Production PJP Groove Non-Tubular Connections.
But Section 4.11 & Table 4.3- require 3 Macro-Etch Examination Test Specimens for PJP Groove PQR Qualification but for CJP Groove PQR Qualifications require one Macro-Etch Specimen only

So my understanding is- One cannot use WPS/PQRs  qualified with CJP Groove cannot be used to PJP Groove Production Welds

Please share your expertise. Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2016 17:26 Edited 05-13-2016 17:29
There are situations where the contractor elects to qualify the WPS using a PJP groove weld. The macroetch specimens are required to verify the groove preparation is adequate to produce a weld of the required size.

As an example, should the contractor attempt to qualify a PJP groove detail with a 15 degree groove angle, all is fine as long as the weld size is as specified. The WPS would permit any groove with a groove angle of 15 degree or greater.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 05-13-2016 21:27
Dear Al
My Query is-
Can one use CJP Groove PQR to weld PJP Production Welds?

If yes how it is possible when restructed by Section 4.11 & Table 4.3

If there is any Code Case Interpretation pertaining to this subject, please share with me.

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1_2010-Table 4.1 & Table 4.3 -PJP Production Welds