Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Continuity Logs
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 12:07
Scott,
Also, the requirement for 'objective evidence' is not in the Code.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 12:14
I would actually go much farther. Personally I think the whole idea of continuity is stupid. Its regulator think. Its the ignorant idea that somehow one can impose quality from the outside. That one can 'inspect in' quality. An idea that has been roundly and completely rejected by EVERY quality theorist on the planet.
Governments think like this.
And we have yet to argue this from the other perspective. Those fabricators that maintain robust continuity programs to comply with their governing bodies and put out tons of schit work.
All it does, ALL it is designed to do, is give auditors something to look at, and find fault with.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 12:18
And actually my last point should perhaps be emphasized. Those professionals that actually make 'QUALITY' their business, not just compliance with Codes or the regulations of governing bodies, totally reject this kind of thinking as ineffective.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-06-2016 12:23
Here's another fine quote... I'm not arguing anything. It doesn't matter to me whether others use a continuity log or not. I could care less. I use one, and I simply posted what my experience has been with the AISC audit.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 12:39
Scott,
Oh, come on. Of course you are. :lol:
In any case, as I stated earlier, I use one as well. Mostly because we all have to deal with governing bodies. But it doesn't prevent me from expressing my objection to the whole self imposed and useless practice.
And I think this whole discussion is proof enough how these 'processes' can grow larger and larger as the importance of them grows in the minds of those who support them.
Like I said, governments work this way. They never get smaller and their internal logic justifies whatever growth the practitioners deem necessary. And there is proof enough in DOT 192 and 194 where NDE is required to prove continuity. F'in regulators. And its even worse. DOT says NDE which includes VT. Try and use VT in a DOT audit and see what happens. F'in regulators.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-06-2016 12:57
I personally think it's a useless practice as well. My daily QC reports indicate the date each main member is inspected, with the initials of who fitted it and who welded it. To me, that should suffice, but the auditors always ask to see it, and anytime a third party inspector comes to the plant, he always asks to see it. I guess I could politely ask him to show me in the code where it states that I'm required to have and maintain one, and I'll get right on it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 13:20
Scott,
When confronting an auditor in such a way there is recourse. You can simply refuse his request and then argue your case with a formal objection to the governing body. And you may very well win. But that's more trouble than simply complying, and they know it. Because guess what. You 'll have to do it again next year. And the year after. And the year after. Its just easier to do it.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-06-2016 13:31
I've actually done that before on something else, and won.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 13:32
Scott,
A victory for all of us.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-06-2016 13:41
And so as not to leave the impression that I think auditors are the devil. I certainly do not. With a few exceptions, the great majority of those I have experience with are excellent and professional people. In fact, with our ISO program, a program I think is the most useless on the planet, our auditor was one of the most reasonable, intelligent, well informed, and common sense people it has been my pleasure to work with. I considered him an asset and friend.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Continuity Logs
1 2 Previous Next